AVS Forum banner

441 - 460 of 11518 Posts

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
Thanks.
I may have pulled the input 5 HDMI out (will check behind rack tonight).
However, to clarify, the non-optimal audio is coming from sources #1-4 , so I wouldn't suspect (?) that the input 5 would cause that in the other inputs.
Appreciate the assistance troubleshooting.

Mike
You might try connecting your projector to Output 4 on your Radiance Pro 4444. That output is set up for Video only output by default. Not sure if this will help, but it might overcome an HDMI capability issue.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Not holding you to this, but just looking for an updated estimate. I know there is a lot of stuff going on with UHD. UHD is a moving target so that is a big rabbit hole to be behind on the priority list ;)
The pattern I noticed when the problem occurred was when the unit was on for a long period of time. I turned the fan speed up to 10, and haven't had the issue yet. Granted I haven't really put it through the paces either.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
The pattern I noticed when the problem occurred was when the unit was on for a long period of time. I turned the fan speed up to 10, and haven't had the issue yet. Granted I haven't really put it through the paces either.
I had the same thing happen to me after the 041616 update while running the fan speed at 7. I subsequently raised it to 10, and the problem went away. Prior to the 041616 firmware update, the chip temperature would stay at or below 85 degrees C, but after the update, it would rise well over 120 degrees before displaying either a green screen or no picture at all.

With the fan speed at 10, the chip temperature now stays at or below 77 degrees C.

Reactions: mry110

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
We have had some people experience fan speed variations with the current fan control setup. Some fans run slower or faster with the same input.

So we are changing the fan control to be based on FPGA temperature and not just be a fixed setting. This should remove the fan variation, since a fan that runs slight slower will have its setting increased until it runs at the expected speed (as measured by the FPGA temperature). Also this will allow the fan to run slower (and so quieter) in normal situations with room temperature at the fan inlet. This is because the Radiance Pro fan control will automatically slow the fan down if the FPGA temperature is below the target temperature.

You should not need to change the fan setting in your Radiance Pro, but the meaning of the setting will change. For the normal setting (6) the FPGA temperature will be kept below the 85C range (probably in the 80C to 83C range). If you have chosen a low setting, such as 1, the Pro will allow the FPGA to get to the 90C range (or so). Of course it would be a good idea to check the FPGA temperature after being on for a while with the fan control method, and you may end up wanting to tweak the fan setting a bit.

Patrick is working out the details and there should be a new update on the website in the next day or so with the new fan control software.

·
Premium Member
966 Posts
We have had some people experience fan speed variations with the current fan control setup. Some fans run slower or faster with the same input.

So we are changing the fan control to be based on FPGA temperature and not just be a fixed setting. This should remove the fan variation, since a fan that runs slight slower will have its setting increased until it runs at the expected speed (as measured by the FPGA temperature). Also this will allow the fan to run slower (and so quieter) in normal situations with room temperature at the fan inlet. This is because the Radiance Pro fan control will automatically slow the fan down if the FPGA temperature is below the target temperature.

You should not need to change the fan setting in your Radiance Pro, but the meaning of the setting will change. For the normal setting (6) the FPGA temperature will be kept below the 85C range (probably in the 80C to 83C range). If you have chosen a low setting, such as 1, the Pro will allow the FPGA to get to the 90C range (or so). Of course it would be a good idea to check the FPGA temperature after being on for a while with the fan control method, and you may end up wanting to tweak the fan setting a bit.

Patrick is working out the details and there should be a new update on the website in the next day or so with the new fan control software.
Thanks, Jim! Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Sounds like we have some people with Audio issues. We are thinking these are likely Audio EDID issues of the Radiance reading the EDID of the downstream AVR/PrePro, and/or reporting back to sources.

=====

We are a ways out from having the user configurable Audio EDID control in the Menu. In the mean time we have added a special command to report all audio modes from Radiance Pro back to the sources. This has fixed at least one system that was not having uncompressed audio modes working. It may or may not resolve missing audio formats depending on the exact reason, but generally missing modes are due to some kind of an EDID compatibility issue.

The command is: MENU 0943. This enable all audio modes including uncompressed audio.

After entering this command, make sure to do a Save to make the change permanent.

You may need to power cycle sources depending on how good they are at rereading EDID on a Hotplug toggle.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Not holding you to this, but just looking for an updated estimate. I know there is a lot of stuff going on with UHD. UHD is a moving target so that is a big rabbit hole to be behind on the priority list ;)
I have to admit to being a bit shy about releasing a schedule for HDR. Two or three months ago I thought we would have HDR and Rec 2020 by now. Other issues/bugs, and just the fact that HDR and Rec 2020 are a larger effort than we thought has delayed us. Your comment about a rabbit hole seems appropriate.

We were working on a release with both HDR and Rec 2020, and part-way through dropped HDR so we could get a Rec 2020 release out.

That said, I am thinking we will be able to do an initial release of HDR for the Radiance Pro in July, based on where we are now and knowing more about HDR than we did three months ago. Please note that this is not a "schedule." It's just our target date. We have not reached the bottom of the rabbit hole yet.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
MENU 0943. This enable all audio modes including uncompressed audio

Thanks. That worked -- at least for the input = 4 = Oppo 103 that I tried.

Mike
Two issues have come up since exchanging my Lumagen Radiance XE for a RadiancePro 4444.

1. Sound via AVR is not Dolby or DTS Digital.
I can choose surround parameters but not the "native" 7.1 signal.
Radiance is set for "audio only" for output 1 (to AVR)

2. AVR display not displayable via RadianceProWhen my XE was out and before new Pro I could see Denon display via projector
Now when I hook up Denon AVR to input 5 on RadiancePro I get a strange screen pattern.
I think this is some type of HDMI loop (as inputs are going into AVR for audio and out of AVR for video)

Is there a way to fix that?
With XE there was an option to have AVR Denon out via component or other cables.
(Denon component or composite out to some type of HDMI adapter???)

Setup
RadiancePro 4444 -- updated with latest FW
Inputs:
1 - DirectTV
2 - XBOX 360
3 - Oppo 980 DVD
4 - Oppo 103 BR
5 - tried hooking up to Denon 5308CI AVR
6 - blank (to MA rack panel)

HDMI Cables - Black Squid 18Gbps - http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Braided-2160p-1080p-18Gbps/dp/B017V7HZKW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Outputs:
1 - to AVR (Denon 5308CI) via 4K HDMI cable (I forget brand)
2 - to Projector (JVC RS20 1080p) via Monoprice Cabernet Ultra CL2 Active High Speed HDMI® Cable, 30ft

EDIT
Also the new (Beta 051216) FW update seems to have sped up moving in menu.
Thanks.
I may have pulled the input 5 HDMI out (will check behind rack tonight).
However, to clarify, the non-optimal audio is coming from sources #1-4 , so I wouldn't suspect (?) that the input 5 would cause that in the other inputs.
Appreciate the assistance troubleshooting.

Mike
Sounds like we have some people with Audio issues. We are thinking these are likely Audio EDID issues of the Radiance reading the EDID of the downstream AVR/PrePro, and/or reporting back to sources.

=====

We are a ways out from having the user configurable Audio EDID control in the Menu. In the mean time we have added a special command to report all audio modes from Radiance Pro back to the sources. This has fixed at least one system that was not having uncompressed audio modes working. It may or may not resolve missing audio formats depending on the exact reason, but generally missing modes are due to some kind of an EDID compatibility issue.

The command is: MENU 0943. This enable all audio modes including uncompressed audio.

After entering this command, make sure to do a Save to make the change permanent.

You may need to power cycle sources depending on how good they are at rereading EDID on a Hotplug toggle.

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I have to admit to being a bit shy about releasing a schedule for HDR. Two or three months ago I thought we would have HDR and Rec 2020 by now. Other issues/bugs, and just the fact that HDR and Rec 2020 are a larger effort than we thought has delayed us. Your comment about a rabbit hole seems appropriate.
Actually the question was about PiP. My point being it isn't a moving target like the other pieces that seem to be dominating discussion lately.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Beta 052016 FW Update

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

Beta 052016-
Changes fan control to be automated with some flexibility to trade off quietness for running FPGA a bit warmer.
Current fan control setting is mapped to new "Temperature goal" setting in the menu under Other: Fan control.
Bugfix for color issue with 480i and 576i.
Bugfix for sometimes losing input video on mode change.
Improved display EDID processing to handle a new method of specifying 4k60/50 capability.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .

Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware

·
Hello, World!
2,462 Posts
Just tried to install the latest update. Installed ok, but Pro no longer boots correctly. I get no video and can hear the fan has ramped up to 10.

Tried to redo the update, and roll back, but getting checksum errors on the update.

Now digging through emails looking for boot mode updates.

Either way, not happy with this update :/

·
Hello, World!
2,462 Posts
OK, normal service resumed. On with testing.

·
Hello, World!
2,462 Posts
OK, first comment, with a temp goal of 80C the Pro starts off way too loud now before the fan slows down. My 2nd Pro is in my TV room, where the Pro is the loudest component, so any increase in noise is unwelcome. Please start the fan of quieter and ramp up if necessary... after about 60 seconds the fan is now almost silent, which is great, but that startup noise is too high...

My fan was set to 6 previously, so perhaps that could be the bootup speed??

Also, I hope the fan increase is smart enough never to jump in to high modes, but rather to creep up slowly. At default 6 I never had any heat issues with the Pro and the noise was bearable. Above 6 the fan noise is intolerable.

·
Hello, World!
2,462 Posts
And a positive comment... The fan is currently very much quieter (temp:69C) than I have been used too under the TV, which is very welcome. Previously low speeds made the fan sound "wobbly" but now it's nice and smooth?

·
Hello, World!
2,462 Posts
Newest update, yes. Rolled back one firmware and had to do a boot mode update to get it installed, and then the new update worked first time after that.

·
Hello, World!
2,462 Posts
Watching fan temps is interesting!

At 24 fps, my temp is 70. At 60 fps, my temp goes to 82.

At the default fan temp of 80, my fan revved up to 5 to keep the temp down during a couple of hours of viewing. I found the fan tempo changing during viewing distracting, so I bumped the target temp to 84, and this kept the fan down to settings 1 & 2, which I didn't notice at all, except during silent moments.

While I think the auto-fan is a good idea, eg to stop the Pro cooking itself, I do think there should also be the option to fix the fan speed as before. I was able to choose a fan setting that was the most "white noise" like and blended into the background better. Some of the low fan settings have a "wobbly" sound to them that is actually more noticeable than the "white noise" of some of the higher fan settings.

A passive cooling solution would have been better, even if it were an optional cost item.

I now have two Pros. One is in my cinema's electronic room, where the fan can run as noisily as it wants and I'll never hear it. The 2nd Pro is under my TV, in a room which, until the Pro arrived, was completely silent. I did test the original Pro there and decided I could live with the low fan settings, but, for me, the addition of a fan to the Lumagen products is a negative. And of course, my TV Pro turned out to be louder than the first (sod's law)...

Anyway, I seem to have it under control for now.

·
Hello, World!
2,462 Posts
Scratch that - the temp seems to be related more to bitrate than frame rate? So just watching some BBC "HD" on Sky (1080i/50) and the temp was around 71. But when I switch to Amazon FireTV HD, with its vastly superior HD image, from presumably a much higher bitrate, the temp jumps to around 82. Or is that because it's now 1080p/50 instead of 1080i/50? Watching some 576p/50 stuff and the temp was down to around 65...

It seems the more unique pixels there are to crunch the hotter the temp... so is the temp a useful proxy for bitrate?? :)

I've often wondered whether it would be possible for the Lumagen models to display their current input bitrate, so we could get a direct insight into just how compressed our various broadcasters/sources are...

·
Hello, World!
2,462 Posts
Fan starts at 4 (noisy) on my system and then slows down to 1 (quiet). Given that the chip is cold to start with, why not start the fan at 1 and work up if needed? That way there is no initial "jet plane taking off" effect?

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
Scratch that - the temp seems to be related more to bitrate than frame rate? So just watching some BBC "HD" on Sky (1080i/50) and the temp was around 71. But when I switch to Amazon FireTV HD, with its vastly superior HD image, from presumably a much higher bitrate, the temp jumps to around 82. Or is that because it's now 1080p/50 instead of 1080i/50? Watching some 576p/50 stuff and the temp was down to around 65...

It seems the more unique pixels there are to crunch the hotter the temp... so is the temp a useful proxy for bitrate?? :)

I've often wondered whether it would be possible for the Lumagen models to display their current input bitrate, so we could get a direct insight into just how compressed our various broadcasters/sources are...
Agree with bitrate read -- can help see how compressed streaming is vs. BR vs UHD.

I await the liquid cooling modifications...
:)

Mike

441 - 460 of 11518 Posts