AVS Forum banner

5161 - 5180 of 8118 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
I use a Zappiti 4K HDR and it generally works well with the Lumagen. Does seem to increase handshake time but I’m working with an older JVC.
HDMI Gremlins. And remember: HDMI stands for Highly Demonic Media Interface

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
That's really great news. Any estimated time frame for publication?

Craig Rounds has a couple of models of the Zappiti on the way to him so he can check them out. My needs are pretty simple: Don't screw up the color; don't diddle with the resolution; make the UI easy to modify/customize; and give me direct access to the multiple movie folders I have (e.g. 4K; BluRay; Concert Videos; Next Up - New Movies; Next Up - Old Movies; etc).

Meeting those objectives is, apparently, more difficult than I can comprehend because none of the 4 units I have tried were able to achieve all of those objectives!
In the early stages of the review as I am doing a Zappiti system (4K HDR pro, mini unit and NAS). So probably won't be published until late September/early October with the other things I'm working on.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Indeed. Do you have the same content available to you via disc playback? I would see if you get the same results from a disc as the Shield. But it sounds like the Shield indeed still has issues to work out.
I just watched the scenes from Batman V Superman and Mad Max with my Samsung K8500 (disc) and vero4k (file). Both did not show the issues. So that means that the Shield cannot be trusted at the moment. :(

·
Registered
21,117 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Different unit. I am doing the pro higher-end model. Plus I'm reviewing as a system with one of their mini-players and the NAS ripper. But any comments from that review for interface should be the same since it is universal across the line. Video performance may be slightly different though.

Actually, that review is from 2017, so they may have done quite a few updates to their interface and hardware since then.

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
There are a number of reviews of these products. But I will trust the word of someone who is in the video calibration business (Kris Deering, Craig Rounds, etc) who I am comfortable will dig much deeper than was done in the attached review. It is reviews like the attached that got me to buy the units I have bought.

Having owned 4 other devices, I want the next one to be THE one, so I will wait for Kris or Craig's evaluation prior to buying.

·
Registered
21,117 Posts
Different unit. I am doing the pro higher-end model. Plus I'm reviewing as a system with one of their mini-players and the NAS ripper. But any comments from that review for interface should be the same since it is universal across the line. Video performance may be slightly different though.

Actually, that review is from 2017, so they may have done quite a few updates to their interface and hardware since then.
There are a number of reviews of these products. But I will trust the word of someone who is in the video calibration business (Kris Deering, Craig Rounds, etc) who I am comfortable will dig much deeper than was done in the attached review. It is reviews like the attached that got me to buy the units I have bought.

Having owned 4 other devices, I want the next one to be THE one, so I will wait for Kris or Craig's evaluation prior to buying.
I fully agree!

·
Registered
21,117 Posts
Curious. Given you have (I think) a Kaleidescape System, what would be your interest in such a device? Streaming from Netflix, Amazon, etc?
I'm really not interested. But I read about your interest! HA!

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts
That's really great news. Any estimated time frame for publication?

Craig Rounds has a couple of models of the Zappiti on the way to him so he can check them out. My needs are pretty simple: Don't screw up the color; don't diddle with the resolution; make the UI easy to modify/customize; and give me direct access to the multiple movie folders I have (e.g. 4K; BluRay; Concert Videos; Next Up - New Movies; Next Up - Old Movies; etc).

Meeting those objectives is, apparently, more difficult than I can comprehend because none of the 4 units I have tried were able to achieve all of those objectives!

It sounds to me what you are describing is covered (sans UI mods) by the Network function of my precious OPPO UDP-203.

Granted, it is just a basic folder navigator with no artwork, but that is what I have Plex and other streaming devices for.

The damn thing just works, IMHO. Too bad they don’t make them any longer.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
10,640 Posts
It sounds to me what you are describing is covered (sans UI mods) by the Network function of my precious OPPO UDP-203.

Granted, it is just a basic folder navigator with no artwork, but that is what I have Plex and other streaming devices for.

The damn thing just works, IMHO. Too bad they don’t make them any longer.

Mark
I have an Oppo 203. I have used it to playing my MKV files. But even calling it "basic" would be a stretch. I am attempting to get as close as possible to when I had a Kaleidescape system that my wife could operate. The UI I was able to get with Plex on the Shield was a close as I would need. BUT, Plex (on the Shield) would not allow me to pass the video (1080P) un-molested. Craig was going to show me how to use Kodi to see if I could get closer, but, unfortunately, I upgraded the firmware and now nothing works!!

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
I use my Oppo for playing MKV no problem except for some reason I can't get subtitles to work. I can even select the different subtitle options using the subtitle button on the Oppo remote but nothing works. Anyone else have this problem or some insight on something I may be missing?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I use my Oppo for playing MKV no problem except for some reason I can't get subtitles to work. I can even select the different subtitle options using the subtitle button on the Oppo remote but nothing works. Anyone else have this problem or some insight on something I may be missing?
Have you paused when selecting the subtitles? I've sometimes found that it will only work while the video is still playing, so don't pause, just select the subs.
One thing that sometimes gets me is when the movie/show is 2.35 aspect (I have a constant height setup) and they're being displayed outside the image area.

·
Premium Member
4,310 Posts

I use CloneBD (free) with the Blu-Ray subtitles option, and am able to select and see the subtitles. Forced usually do not work, however. 1st world problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
I will received my Zappiti Pro tomorrow.

I will use it with my Radiance Pro, I am no calibrator but will report back my personal findings...

I plan to use there source direct option so everything from dvd to UHD should go untouched to the Radiance.

Of course my main testing points will be HDR movies pair with the Radiance DTM.

I have own Zappiti in the past so I know my way around there gui. It’s no contest the best jukebox interface on the market, Simple but very complete and rich in features.

·
Registered
222 Posts

While on playback, try pressing the info button after you have chosen the external subtitles.

Regarding the zappiti pro 4k my understanding is that it does not read metadata correctly (it sends 0 values to the display). At least this was the case the time the following video was released ( I have asked the reviewer).

·
Registered
56 Posts
The shield worked just fine with before this update, if you read the forums it will be fixed after another update. I have one in another room that didn't update and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
While on playback, try pressing the info button after you have chosen the external subtitles.

Regarding the zappiti pro 4k my understanding is that it does not read metadata correctly (it sends 0 values to the display). At least this was the case the time the following video was released ( I have asked the reviewer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJm3YrkQQBg
I've heard the metadata issue is the same with any of the devices that use the Android system for playback. Does the Shield report identical HDR metadata as playing back the same content from a disc player?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've heard the metadata issue is the same with any of the devices that use the Android system for playback. Does the Shield report identical HDR metadata as playing back the same content from a disc player?

I have read zidoo reports metadata correctly. I believe Shield fixed this problem too.

·
aka jfinnie
4,220 Posts
I have read zidoo reports metadata correctly. I believe Shield fixed this problem too.
I had a Z9S for a while, so much potential but so much annoying about it. Occasionally sending SDR instead of HDR, glitchy playback from network sources, etc. I returned to Amazon.

I've just got an Oppo clone; which though it sucks from a UI perspective, actually seems to, you know, play video properly...! "You only had to do one thing right..." is a phrase that comes to mind with so many of these network players.

5161 - 5180 of 8118 Posts