AVS Forum banner

5241 - 5260 of 8221 Posts

·
aka jfinnie
4,236 Posts
Nope, you would def need to create the macro sequence and map it to a single button.

Edit: What I do for my macros is I configure the commands to repeat 5 times with each button press, because sometimes once just isn’t enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cool. It is just annoying as if I recall you have to create the macros for each activity you want to put it in. Would be nice if the IR protocol were extended with custom IR discrete codes for all the ALT commands.

I have IR in on my Pi based controller, I will probably make that do the aspect changes over the serial interface in response to a single button press instead.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

·
aka jfinnie
4,236 Posts
Yup. Many studies don’t allow their content on YouTube. The new Lumagen software update is great. Did tons of real-time A/B tests on my favorite DTM test scenes for the video.

Did you make any changes to your DTM setup on the basis of the new update? I watched Interstellar last night and thought the new release looked great with my own settings (defaults apart from the low ratio being adjusted upwards)

·
Premium Member
10,657 Posts
The new Lumagen software update is great. Did tons of real-time A/B tests on my favorite DTM test scenes for the video.
Is is great. After I installed it, Craig Rounds walked me through changing a bunch of parameters and the end result is stunning (though I only watched a bit of the beginning of Shazam! since it was the movie that showed some weaknesses(?) in the previous release). The details in dark scenes is way better as is the overall image. A not inexpensive add-on but one that will last in my system as long as I last on planet earth - as will the panamorph - as will the projector!

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Did you make any changes to your DTM setup on the basis of the new update? I watched Interstellar last night and thought the new release looked great with my own settings (defaults apart from the low ratio being adjusted upwards)

Nope, I stuck with the defaults. The defaults work really, really well.

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Is is great. After I installed it, Craig Rounds walked me through changing a bunch of parameters and the end result is stunning (though I only watched a bit of the beginning of Shazam! since it was the movie that showed some weaknesses(?) in the previous release). The details in dark scenes is way better as is the overall image. A not inexpensive add-on but one that will last in my system as long as I last on planet earth - as will the panamorph - as will the projector!

If I look hard enough, I could quote at least three times from your build thread and your previous theater’s thread where you said something akin to keeping gear forever.....

Just saying.....the grave condition of upgradeitis was originally diagnosed based on your symptoms! You were patient zero! Lol.

Shazam is one I haven’t tried—I can’t bring myself to purchase it...maybe if I find it on sale for under $15. What have you been using for your HDR torture tests? HDR Intensity Mapping introduced last year was a truly great addition, and Dynamic Tone Mapping really rounds out the package for a stellar HDR image. No other piece of equipment in my rack has the continued support or the company-to-customer feedback that Lumagen has. Glad I made this financially significant yet uber high-value investment back in 2017! It continues to pay for itself.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Anyone on the latest firmware and a Sony 5000 have an issue where the Lumagen continuously loses sync/black screen and then regains/image comes back. Happens about every 30s. Have not had this issue until I loaded the latest firmware. So far it happens watching Godzilla:King of the Monsters on Kscape Strato and Netflix HDR content thru ATV4K? Haven't really tested beyond that. Thinking of going back to previous FW. I watched Godzilla straight thru on the previous FW without any such issue?
never seen that.

·
Registered
18,154 Posts
If I look hard enough, I could quote at least three times from your build thread and your previous theater’s thread where you said something akin to keeping gear forever.....

Just saying.....the grave condition of upgradeitis was originally diagnosed based on your symptoms! You were patient zero! Lol.

Shazam is one I haven’t tried—I can’t bring myself to purchase it...maybe if I find it on sale for under $15. What have you been using for your HDR torture tests? HDR Intensity Mapping introduced last year was a truly great addition, and Dynamic Tone Mapping really rounds out the package for a stellar HDR image. No other piece of equipment in my rack has the continued support or the company-to-customer feedback that Lumagen has. Glad I made this financially significant yet uber high-value investment back in 2017! It continues to pay for itself.

Ha ha ! Upgradeitis is a chronic disease whose symptoms lay dormant for years ( I had my Sim2 Lumis Host for 7 1/2 years until I had another occurrence ). The Lumagen and DCR lens hopefully have inoculated me for 4 or 5 more years. ;)

I'm watching Shazam tomorrow - I'll let you know what I think. Looks pretty funny.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
never seen that.
I have the same drop out problem with ATV4K and made Jim aware. I know of one UK customer who also has this issue. I am using the previous release until the guys can get to bottom of it. Neither myself or my customer are VW5000 owners...both JVC's.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ha ha ! Upgradeitis is a chronic disease whose symptoms lay dormant for years ( I had my Sim2 Lumis Host for 7 1/2 years until I had another occurrence ). The Lumagen and DCR lens hopefully have inoculated me for 4 or 5 more years. ;)

I'm watching Shazam tomorrow - I'll let you know what I think. Looks pretty funny.
Reported the same issue on my Sony 760es last night have reverted to the previous update that’s working ok.

Mick

·
Registered
292 Posts
I went back to previous firmware by doing a boot update and brightness, colors and contrast are back to normal. There's definetly something weird with new firmware. Just like Thrang said, image is flat and lifeless and way less brighter at least on my RS4500.
Well, last night I upgraded to the latest firmware and I must say I'm impressed. Brightness is back to normal and colors more real than ever!

·
Premium Member
10,657 Posts

At least three times - probably more. This time, however, I decided I needed an accountability partner. So I wrote a letter to my wife committing to not change the following for at least 5 years: Projector, Lumagen, Lens, Trinnov, amps, and speakers (subs could be an exception if I were to find something that the net exchange cost would be zero - or less). Not only was spending money part of the issue, I was spending too much time thinking about the next widget and not enough enjoying what I already have.

Shazam! was not my kind of movie. I bought it based upon Ralph's review. While the audio and video are nice, it just did not click for me.

I've looked at a number of clips of different movies (some of which are on your list) but at the end of the day, looking for either "improvements" or changes by turning on and off DTM is just one more way to take away from the experience. I LOVE the image I am seeing.

And I would agree with you on the longevity possibilities of the Lumagen - but I would add the Panamorph products as well. I had my last one for over 15 years.

·
Registered
549 Posts
The latest software is also not working with my Sony995ES. Loss of HDMI connection, green screen.... Back to old firmware.

Do not install if you own a Sony projector!

·
Premium Member
2,653 Posts
At least three times - probably more. This time, however, I decided I needed an accountability partner. So I wrote a letter to my wife committing to not change the following for at least 5 years: Projector, Lumagen, Lens, Trinnov, amps, and speakers (subs could be an exception if I were to find something that the net exchange cost would be zero - or less). Not only was spending money part of the issue, I was spending too much time thinking about the next widget and not enough enjoying what I already have.

Shazam! was not my kind of movie. I bought it based upon Ralph's review. While the audio and video are nice, it just did not click for me.

I've looked at a number of clips of different movies (some of which are on your list) but at the end of the day, looking for either "improvements" or changes by turning on and off DTM is just one more way to take away from the experience. I LOVE the image I am seeing.

And I would agree with you on the longevity possibilities of the Lumagen - but I would add the Panamorph products as well. I had my last one for over 15 years.
Chuck,

What is the exact full-name of the Lumagen as I wish to do some in-depth reading from reviewers/owners not on AVS.
I also would like to look up the current product with the New/Latest Firmware Up-Dates for correct pricing ???

Thanks,
Terry

·
Registered
18,154 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have the same drop out problem with ATV4K and made Jim aware. I know of one UK customer who also has this issue. I am using the previous release until the guys can get to bottom of it. Neither myself or my customer are VW5000 owners...both JVC's.
Over the weekend I received a few reports of issues with the 080919 release for dropouts. On the other hand most are saying it works for them. So FPGA is close but not perfect.

While the CAD tools said the new FPGA had good timing, the tools are not perfect. Patrick is on vacation but will return on Thursday and can work on the FPGA timing then.

Anyone having an issue with 080919, please revert to an earlier release that works for you until we can get a release with a better FPGA posted.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The latest software is also not working with my Sony995ES. Loss of HDMI connection, green screen.... Back to old firmware.

Do not install if you own a Sony projector!
I've installed it on a VW5000 and almost everything is working perfectly, just a couple of random frame with noticeable yellow cast in the whole evening

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
7 series and up look fine. Their auto tone map actually does a pretty good job too. I wouldn't set the output to SDR in the Lumagen for a 7 series and up, I would set to output HDR and turn DTM on with a display max of about 700-800.

I think there may be something wrong with my “system”, because with Display Max Light set to 700-800 results in the picture being way way way too bright, with blown out colors and blacks. I am finding I need to add an extra “0” to your numbers, and it looks fine.

I settled on 6,000, and it looks good, but I am sure there is room for improvement.

Is this normal?

Edit: I am using HDR2020 output, no 1D or 3D LUT calibrations, and the LG OLED Dynamic Contrast setting is Off.

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5241 - 5260 of 8221 Posts