AVS Forum banner

5341 - 5360 of 8135 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Another reason to justify the cost, my blu ray never have look that good. The Radiance Pro upscaling join with a bit of Darbee processing give the upscale picture a very natural, sharp looking image. Cleary better than letting my projector or media player do the upscale to 4k.
Sounds interesting. Never tried that. I will have to give this a go. I normally upscale my 1080p collection with madVR.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
I don't really watch any 1080p stuff except rarely cable TV. 99% of what I watch is either Blu-rays ( upscaled to 4K by the 4K Blu-ray player ) or 4K Blu-rays.
BluRays are 1080P. But you have the player up convert to 4K vs the Lumagen?

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
BluRays are 1080P. But you have the player up convert to 4K vs the Lumagen?
If you use a Panasonic UB820 ( or UB900 or perhaps the UB9000 ) and it sees your display is 4K, it will upscale automatically. It's not really a problem. The Lumagen upscales that to 4096 for use with the DCR lens. Works fine. Kris thought it looked excellent. The Oppo could use native or upscale to 4K. I can't see a difference personally. Once again, for scope, the Lumagen upscales that to 4096 for the DCR lens. There would be some might fine hair splitting to see much difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
28,786 Posts
Good question, since I turned Darbee off at one point, but Kris re-set the Radiance Pro and set it up from scratch. But unless something is different in the Lumagen, I thought Darbee didn't work with 4K. I'm sending 4K from my UB820 and Oppo 203 ( 3840 x 2160 ) and upscaling to 4096 x 2160 if it's scope. Does Darbee work with 4K in a Radiance Pro? I think not.
I am surprised you do not have the Oppo set for source direct, so that the Lumagen upscales 1080P to 4K. That is why I pulled the UB9000 from my HT system and put the Oppo 203 back in. Will use the Panasonic with my RS640 in the media room.

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
I am surprised you do not have the Oppo set for source direct, so that the Lumagen upscales 1080P to 4K. That is why I pulled the UB9000 from my HT system and put the Oppo 203 back in. Will use the Panasonic with my RS640 in the media room.
For all practical purposes I haven't seen an advantage to doing that ( it doesn't look any better that way IMO ). And I had an instance or two of it not wanting to sync that way. And the Oppo doesn't look better to me than the UB820 either. We are back to splitting hairs. I'm not a big fan of Darbee processing either. It can make things look over processed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
With the Lumagen you just set a BD versus UHD memory with 1080p max input, and the UB9000 or 820 on automatic res. This forces the Panny to output 1080p automatically on that memory and let’s the Lumagen take care of the full scaling to 4k.

·
Registered
382 Posts
New firmware available to try for those of us with video issues from the last release:

Beta 081019- Posted 082319 A new FPGA version from rev 080919 fixes issues seen in many systems with getting picture and other video issues. Software identical to 080919.

It fixed my issues.

Thank you, Jim and Pat, for the quick release. :)

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
HDMI ISSUES

I am having connection issues to my Sony 5000 from my 4242 9 gHz outt. I am using 2M Velox cables. What is cable of choice for HDMI handshake issues. Can’t get 4K signal to sync. Only 1080P. Any ideas here?

·
Registered
666 Posts
HDMI ISSUES

I am having connection issues to my Sony 5000 from my 4242 9 gHz outt. I am using 2M Velox cables. What is cable of choice for HDMI handshake issues. Can’t get 4K signal to sync. Only 1080P. Any ideas here?

For me I change all my cable to Pixelgen and all the problem resolve got some time handshaking in APTV but easy resolve oppo and k-scape zero problem i got 4242 pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Auto Aspect Detection

I had tried AA once and I liked it a lot but did not save the settings. I decided to re-implement it but now I can't get it to work. Here are my settings:

Auto Aspect Control = HDMI
Sticky Aspect Override = On
NLS when applicable = Off
Letterbox zoom = Norm

What am I doing wrong or not doing?

Thanks

·
aka jfinnie
4,229 Posts
I had tried AA once and I liked it a lot but did not save the settings. I decided to re-implement it but now I can't get it to work. Here are my settings:

Auto Aspect Control = HDMI
Sticky Aspect Override = On
NLS when applicable = Off
Letterbox zoom = Norm

What am I doing wrong or not doing?

Thanks
Auto Aspect Control should be set to Image. There is an HDMI + Image option, but it is more trouble than it is worth.
Image just analyses the image to see what the aspect is, intead of relying on (often wrong) HDMI metadata.

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
jim recommended the Velox to me and they have worked flawlessly.

Reactions: appelz

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
jim recommended the Velox to me and they have worked flawlessly.
For source components, these are pretty much the only HDMI cables I recommend lately.

Reactions: llang269

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
For HDMI, 2 meter or longer Monoprice certified. For 25 ft or more, their fiber. Been using these for years with the Radiance and a boat load of different sources and displays with absolutely zero issue. But if you want to spend more money go for it!

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
For HDMI, 2 meter or longer Monoprice certified. For 25 ft or more, their fiber. Been using these for years with the Radiance and a boat load of different sources and displays with absolutely zero issue. But if you want to spend more money go for it!
This is mostly anecdotal, as I don't have the tools to actually measure what is going on, but I've convinced myself that the Velox cables have better shielding from EMI/RFI. Nearly all the systems I work on are engineered designs, enclosed racks, and often sharing rack space with network switches, control systems etc. All of the rooms lately have lots of RGB LED lighting with the associated transformers and LED drivers. Toss a handful of wall warts inside the rack, put everything in a small room with a WiFi access point... Seems like a harsh environment to me.

Now combine the above with the recommendation of 2m-3m cables with a meter or more of excess cable length in service loops wired into an CEDIA award winning "Show us your racks" configuration with all of the HDMI cables on the same path and Velcroed together.

Maybe at some point I'll hack apart a few HDMI cable brands and look at their construction.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Since you, Craig and I think Jim Peterson (could be wrong on that) recommended those as source HDMI cables, that is what I purchased. From the Lumagen to the projector, I tried a bunch if cables and ended up with 10 meter RUIPRO HDMI Fiber cable. It seems to work fine and has passed the HDMI torture test (Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk).

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
HDMI ISSUES

Well, I went to Best Buy and bought some pricey Audioquest HDMI cables to try. As soon as I plugged them in, the picture snapped into place. They were expensive so I took Kris’s advice and bought the Monoprice certified cables. Amazon has same day delivery here, so I’ll try these later. If they work, I’ll be returning the pricey Audioquest.

I love monoprice. Certified, premium and all those fancy descriptors for a $10 cable....

But now I get to see the tone mapping in action!

The VELOX cables I used prior to having the Radiance Pro in my system worked flawlessly. Never one issue. Something with the Radiance seems to requires some HDMI experimentation. Even though Jim and Adam like Velox cables, apparently cable choice is system dependent.

So far so good.

Thanks!

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
Registered
18,137 Posts
5341 - 5360 of 8135 Posts