AVS Forum banner

5361 - 5380 of 8201 Posts

·
Registered
28,813 Posts
Well, I went to Best Buy and bought some pricey Audioquest HDMI cables to try. As soon as I plugged them in, the picture snapped into place. They were expensive so I took Kris’s advice and bought the Monoprice certified cables. Amazon has same day delivery here, so I’ll try these later. If they work, I’ll be returning the pricey Audioquest.

I love monoprice. Certified, premium and all those fancy descriptors for a $10 cable....

But now I get to see the tone mapping in action!

The VELOX cables I used prior to having the Radiance Pro in my system worked flawlessly. Never one issue. Something with the Radiance seems to requires some HDMI experimentation. Even though Jim and Adam like Velox cables, apparently cable choice is system dependent.

So far so good.

Thanks!
You are not using anything under 6' with the Lumagen, are you?

·
Registered
28,813 Posts
I got the same HDMI cables from Jim. They work. Monoprice ones were hit or miss.
I am using 6' Monoprice from Lumagen to Marantz prepro for audio and 40' Monoprice fiber optic to RS3000. I am using an older version of this cable.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21568
Have used it with RS600, RS400, two RS640's, RS4500 and RS3000. No issues with any of the projectors.

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
You are not using anything under 6' with the Lumagen, are you?
Not sure what cables he has purchased recently, but the installed cables were all 2m and 3m.

Reactions: Mike Garrett

·
Premium Member
1,132 Posts
The VELOX cables I used prior to having the Radiance Pro in my system worked flawlessly. Never one issue. Something with the Radiance seems to requires some HDMI experimentation. Even though Jim and Adam like Velox cables, apparently cable choice is system dependent.
And they worked flawlessly while I was there for 2 days installing the Lumagen and doing the calibration and other programming changes. They just don't seem to be happy with the replacement Lumagen. All weird for sure!

·
Registered
18,151 Posts
I am using 6' Monoprice from Lumagen to Marantz prepro for audio and 40' Monoprice fiber optic to RS3000. I am using an older version of this cable.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21568
Have used it with RS600, RS400, two RS640's, RS4500 and RS3000. No issues with any of the projectors.
Worked with projectors before and works with the same projector with the Lumagen in the chain now can be two entirely different kettles of fish. That said, my system is working flawlessly - but that took a bit of cable swapping and experimentation.

·
Registered
26,786 Posts
And they worked flawlessly while I was there for 2 days installing the Lumagen and doing the calibration and other programming changes. They just don't seem to be happy with the replacement Lumagen. All weird for sure!
Right. For the 2 days you were on site, no issues with 4242 #1 . Oh well.

But I’ve powered up the system at 2 different times and still all good. All new cables 2 meters. . Looking forward to trying the Monoprice tonight.

HDMI is just killer in these more complicated applications.

·
Registered
28,813 Posts
Worked with projectors before and works with the same projector with the Lumagen in the chain now can be two entirely different kettles of fish. That said, my system is working flawlessly - but that took a bit of cable swapping and experimentation.
Lumagen is in the chain, no issues.

·
Premium Member
10,657 Posts
I now have a second favorite feature of the Lumagen. First, of course, is DTM but the second is Automatic Aspect control. I don't need it to control changing masks because the system does that other ways, but the menus from my Nvidia Shield/Plex are 16x9 and most movie menu screens are 16x9. And once the movie starts, it switches to 2:35 if appropriate. How cool is that?

My 3rd favorite feature is NLS used for watching college football.

LOVE this product. Absolutely LOVE it!!

·
Registered
28,813 Posts
I now have a second favorite feature of the Lumagen. First, of course, is DTM but the second is Automatic Aspect control. I don't need it to control changing masks because the system does that other ways, but the menus from my Nvidia Shield/Plex are 16x9 and most movie menu screens are 16x9. And once the movie starts, it switches to 2:35 if appropriate. How cool is that?

NLS works for football, but it makes basketball players, tennis players and soccer players look like football players. :D

·
Registered
26,786 Posts

·
Registered
18,151 Posts

It's very cool, except, I need the sticky aspect override command for Interstellar. Having the movie shift to 16:9 on my scope screen and DCR lens is not ideal. I don't like these aspect ratio changing films. Pick a damn aspect ratio and stick with. It's like having a commitment issue !

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts

YES! Auto Aspect even works with non-standard ARs like 1.66:1 and 2:1 which seems to be used for a lot of original programming these days (i.e. The Handmaid's Tale).

·
Premium Member
10,657 Posts
it's very cool, except, i need the sticky aspect override command for interstellar. Having the movie shift to 16:9 on my scope screen and dcr lens is not ideal. I don't like these aspect ratio changing films. pick a damn aspect ratio and stick with. It's like having a commitment issue !
lol!!

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
It's very cool, except, I need the sticky aspect override command for Interstellar. Having the movie shift to 16:9 on my scope screen and DCR lens is not ideal. I don't like these aspect ratio changing films. Pick a damn aspect ratio and stick with. It's like having a commitment issue !
In Interstellar I would like to see the Masking system go 16:9 and 2:40 depending on the AR of the movie and the picture changing the AR in Tandem.

I have a DCR also in the chain as you may know.

Since I have Adam here for two days and he will be programming my Crestron also (apart from installing Lumagen) - Let me know if a Toggle Button:

Sticky On and Off on the Crestron Remote...

Should this do the job ? Or do you have any suggestions how to get my objective accomplished.

·
Registered
549 Posts
In Interstellar I would like to see the Masking system go 16:9 and 2:40 depending on the AR of the movie and the picture changing the AR in Tandem.

I have a DCR also in the chain as you may know.
By the time it changes the masking the scene is over ;) Just kidding, how long does your system take to mask the screen?

I will have a DCR installed soon as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For HDMI, 2 meter or longer Monoprice certified. For 25 ft or more, their fiber. Been using these for years with the Radiance and a boat load of different sources and displays with absolutely zero issue. But if you want to spend more money go for it!
Which Monoprice Fiber cable are you referring to?

Theater being done now. UB9000 with hopefully a NX7 for now. I'm am planning on adding a Lumagen later in the year. Which cables do you recommend I leave in place for the Lumagen?

·
Registered
18,151 Posts
Which Monoprice Fiber cable are you referring to?

Theater being done now. UB9000 with hopefully a NX7 for now. I'm am planning on adding a Lumagen later in the year. Which cables do you recommend I leave in place for the Lumagen?
Get the " Premium Certified " cables.

5361 - 5380 of 8201 Posts