AVS Forum banner

6341 - 6360 of 8140 Posts

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Well, hopefully it works for you with the particular AVR you plan to use - it works OK for my Arcam. My experience with my Denon AVR into the Lumagen input was one of frustration, frequent drop outs and resyncs. That was almost a couple of years ago though, with one of Denon's first 18G designs. Not wanting to put words into anyone's mouth, but I think @jrp was referring more to issues of HDMI robustness than subtleties of marginal picture quality variation due to unwanted processing.
My Yamaha RX-A3080 is the current year top-of-the-line, so, hopefully, the kinks may have been worked out. I have absolutely NO understanding of "robustness" as it applies to HDMI :confused:

·
Registered
6,862 Posts
... It took some significant effort for me to find all the various quirks of the setups possible and work to get the best result, and I guess that kind of know-how is also what you are paying for when dealing with a pro.
Bobof... thank you for being one of the members who helps others. I know you and Geomania made my brief experience with the 4442 very productive. I try to pay forward all of the help I have received over the years, and AVS is a worthy destination because so many others share your love of all things HT.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year.

:grin:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Anyone seeing instability with the new firmware? I watched the Last Jedi 4k HDR last night and about an hour in had bad audio dropouts, pixellation, screen freezes and the video and audio eventually locked up. I can't reproduce it now but it was persistent in that I went back to main menu on the Panasonic Blu ray player and hitting play again resulted in the freezes. I put in Logan 4k HDR and watched that instead without issue.

I haven't had any issues since installing the monoprice cables at the rack and the ruipro cable from lumagen to projector. All sources go into lumagen and audio goes to AVR, video runs from lumagen to jvc projector.

Any thoughts? I'll try to reproduce this weekend.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
Anyone seeing instability with the new firmware? I watched the Last Jedi 4k HDR last night and about an hour in had bad audio dropouts, pixellation, screen freezes and the video and audio eventually locked up. I can't reproduce it now but it was persistent in that I went back to main menu on the Panasonic Blu ray player and hitting play again resulted in the freezes. I put in Logan 4k HDR and watched that instead without issue.

I haven't had any issues since installing the monoprice cables at the rack and the ruipro cable from lumagen to projector. All sources go into lumagen and audio goes to AVR, video runs from lumagen to jvc projector.

No instability here and I have probably watched 20 hours of HDR with new firmware.

·
aka jfinnie
4,230 Posts

Did you have to do anything to un-lock it up, other than change disc? The way you describe it, it almost sounds more like just a bad disc read / issue with your player, rather than issue with the Lumagen. Pixellation in particular (by which my understanding would be that the image becomes recognise-able but very blocky, with pixels grouped into larger blocks) is hard to think of a way that it would happen in the Pro, whereas it is very easily created in a player.

I've racked up quite a few hours without issue, though one other poster did report some stability issue. Not sure where they got to in their investigations.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/2172017-new-lumagen-radiance-pro-series-210.html#post59000378

·
Registered
240 Posts
Did you have to do anything to un-lock it up, other than change disc? The way you describe it, it almost sounds more like just a bad disc read / issue with your player, rather than issue with the Lumagen. Pixellation in particular (by which my understanding would be that the image becomes recognise-able but very blocky, with pixels grouped into larger blocks) is hard to think of a way that it would happen in the Pro, whereas it is very easily created in a player.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/2172017-new-lumagen-radiance-pro-series-210.html#post59000378
I took the Lumagen out of the chain so it is Panasonic UB900 > audio out to AVR (Monoprice certified 6' cable) / video out to JVC RS620 (Ruipro 30m hybrid cable) and it still happens. Video linked below (takes a second to load). So it is either the player or the media - the Blu Ray was sold in the US (Best Buy) and the back is in mint condition so it isn't a result of damage to the disc.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? Maybe simple as ordering another copy of the disc?

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=5C1FBDA03C32F6B9&resid=5C1FBDA03C32F6B9!172848&authkey=APcojHdE_n-W5-o

·
aka jfinnie
4,230 Posts
I took the Lumagen out of the chain so it is Panasonic UB900 > audio out to AVR (Monoprice certified 6' cable) / video out to JVC RS620 (Ruipro 30m hybrid cable) and it still happens. Video linked below (takes a second to load). So it is either the player or the media - the Blu Ray was sold in the US (Best Buy) and the back is in mint condition so it isn't a result of damage to the disc.

Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot? Maybe simple as ordering another copy of the disc?

https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=5C1FBDA03C32F6B9&resid=5C1FBDA03C32F6B9!172848&authkey=APcojHdE_n-W5-o
Discs can be bad regardless of the surface looking mint; I guess worst case it could be a sign of a player turning its toes up. Just get a replacement, I give you a 90% chance of it fixing it.

·
Registered
18,137 Posts

Try cleaning the disc. Even though it looks good you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Washed it with dishsoap - no dice, still freezes and pizellates. Ordered a new copy on Amazon. Searched the internet for "UHD Blu Ray freezing" and holy cow - kind of hard to believe this is the first experience I have had as troubles seem rife with this format. Appreciate the help. Good luck all.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
As a big Sci Fi fan -I am loving Lost In Space Season 2 on Netflix - love the eye candy of the space scenes picture and ATMOS sound quality is 10 times better than Mandalorian (shame on you Disney).
But watching this show also proves how difficult it is to handle HDR using DTM on a low Nit Projector system like mine (110 nit) no matter how good the ALGO (could be a good MadVR and Lumagen DTM compare material).
Scenes for example on season 2 episode 2 and 3 (I have not watched 4 yet) where the characters are inside the ship wearing their lighted space suits - the lights from the bulbs on the helmets project up like flash lights on my Projector image.
The same scene on my 4K QLED Q9FN (lots of nits no DTM applied) image - none of those anomalies.
The material is awesome and its of intentional lens flaring strobing of lights and very bright scenes )in fact they have a disclaimer before each episode that the photoelectric lights may not be suitable for all users).
If someone is interested in this material - please watch and post your comments - I would like to know if others have the same experience.

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
I have been away from AVS for a while. We are about to do another release that has significant improvement for DTM. So time for me to check in.

This release improves the "Adaptive" part of DTM (call it ADTM). We had some "pumping" issues with ADTM that are now resolved. There are also a number of other improvements. Some apply to many scenes and some are more specific to a small class of scene types. I have been surprised at how Patrick has been able to continue to improve on the already excellent scene detection, and scene adaptive function (the ADTM). I think you will be excited by the improvements.

We have also had a few people (more than a few?) messing about with the DTM parameters and getting themselves in a bad state. So, this release will also have a simplified DTM user interface in "User Mode." If you insist on more "rope," the current interface will still be available in Service Mode. Just be aware that we believe the defaults are the best settings and changes you make to parameters not shown in User Mode will likely degrade the image rather than improve it.

We are simplifying the DTM parameter menu in User Mode. The DTM parameter menu (left arrow) will be:

Low Ratio: 0 to 63 (Default = 31)
DynPad: 0 to 7 (Default = 3)
DeSat: 0 to 15 (default = 4)
Global Max Light: 100 to 9990 (default = 500)

You need to set the Max Light in CMS1->HDR Mapping menu (or it is now shown in the DTM parameter menu as Global Max Light). I am recommending five (5) times the measured light in nits. This multiple is a trade off between brighter scenes (lower Max Light), and color saturation (higher Max Light). I am considering more testing using a multiple of four (4) times measured maximum light, but not there yet. Also, I have talked to some who prefer a multiple of 3 to 4. This is a personal choice and can also depend on if you have a lower light output projector and want a brighter image.

Note that if you have values other than the above defaults in your unit, they will not be changed by the update. You would need to reset the HDR parameters (each input and input memory or change one and copy to the others. Then do a Save).

Some have asked why the Max Light is not set to 1X measured light in nits. The "1X measured light" setting is in the mix, but for "dark scenes" as it needs to be. We will show the effective Low Light Max in this menu. You can look a the "effective Max Light" (adjusted by Low Ratio) and adjust until it is about 1X measured light (or your preferred multiple for low light scenes).

Note that, as shown, the new default for "Low Ratio" is 31 (currently 15). Using 15 still works well, but with the improvements in the DTM we are seeing that you can raise this value (reducing the dark scene effective max light and raising brightness) without seeing clipping. Setting the Low-set ratio to 31 will result in roughly “1X” measured light (assuming Max Light is in the 5x range) for dark scenes. We have exended the Low Ratio range. It was -31 to 31, and now is 0 to 63. We eliminated negative numbers as they do not make sense to use, but were still showing up in some questions I received.

We are also changing the default DynPad to 3 (currently 6). Again this is because the improvement allow a brighter image without showing clipping. With a setting of 3 we do not expect there to be visible clipping. However, even a settings of 2, or 1, may have few scenes where there might be a bit of clipping of highlights. However the overall image will be brighter. I am currently using DynPad = 3 but experimenting with settings of 1 and 2. So you might want to try 1, 2, and 3 for DynPad to see which you prefer.

DeSat (de-saturation) has not changed. We left it in for User Mode since some like to have a different setting for this.

Note: The ADTM parameters are per-input and per-input-memory, except for "Global Max Light." It is "global" to all inputs and input memories that use the currently active CMS (which is typically CMS1 for HDR). For example if the current CMS for HDR is CMS1, this Global Max Light is the same value as CMS1->HDR Mapping->HDR Mapping->Max Light.

Note: If you want the settings (excepting Max Light) to apply to other inputs or input memories, use the "Input Copy" command to copy to the other inputs and/or memories. As always, make sure to Save any changes you want to be permanent.

There are a few other additions to the user interface. For example you can now program the right arrow to bring up test patterns rather than the Darbee menu, or program the up/down arrows to step through Input Aspect Ratio selections. This release fixes an issue using NLS with "Auto Aspect" that was recently reported.

These improvements should be in a release in the next day or two.
Hi Jim,

I would just like to confirm if the recommendation is now to set Low Ratio to 1x, as you noted above? "You can look a the "effective Max Light" (adjusted by Low Ratio) and adjust until it is about 1X measured light (or your preferred multiple for low light scenes)."

Back in August, in this post, it was recommended:

For Projectors in the 70-140 Nit Range:
▪ Adjust the Low-set ratio so that it is 2 times the measured maximum (HDR) light output. For a projector with 100 Nits maximum (HDR) brightness, set this to get as close to 200 as possible.

OLED Panels:
▪ Adjust the Low-Set ratio so that it is 2 times the measured maximum (HDR) light output.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Mark

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
We are so enjoying our HT. It just keeps getting better, the firmware update is fantastic. Great job by the folks at Lumagen and Kris, keep up the good work guys!

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
As a big Sci Fi fan -I am loving Lost In Space Season 2 on Netflix - love the eye candy of the space scenes picture and ATMOS sound quality is 10 times better than Mandalorian (shame on you Disney).
But watching this show also proves how difficult it is to handle HDR using DTM on a low Nit Projector system like mine (110 nit) no matter how good the ALGO (could be a good MadVR and Lumagen DTM compare material).
Scenes for example on season 2 episode 2 and 3 (I have not watched 4 yet) where the characters are inside the ship wearing their lighted space suits - the lights from the bulbs on the helmets project up like flash lights on my Projector image.
The same scene on my 4K QLED Q9FN (lots of nits no DTM applied) image - none of those anomalies.
The material is awesome and its of intentional lens flaring strobing of lights and very bright scenes )in fact they have a disclaimer before each episode that the photoelectric lights may not be suitable for all users).
If someone is interested in this material - please watch and post your comments - I would like to know if others have the same experience.
I watched season 2 on my RS3000 and thought it looked very good. I will have to take a look at those scenes on my QLED Q80.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
I watched season 2 on my RS3000 and thought it looked very good. I will have to take a look at those scenes on my QLED Q80.
Mike - The picture looks fantastic, no complaints at all - without Radiance no way I could achieve such a good image.
My comments are just a observation - and actually I like the over emphasized effects on my projector versus the QLED...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The Lumagen EDID doesn't claim DV compatibility, so the AppleTV sees the HDR10 capability in the EDID and converts DV to HDR10 output, albeit often with noncompliant metadata which causes issues for the 18G inputs (audio glitches up to every 30 s on some content is the one remaining issue).

It is arguably a bug (or at least a strange choice) that Apple decide to tell you the content is available in Dolby Vision when the display can't display it as DV. I guess at least it helps you realize the reason why you might have issues.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
I'm a bit confused by your post regarding the Lumagen's EDID as seen by ATV4K. Is the ATV4K DV issue relevant for 18GHz on the Lumagen's input or output card (or both??)? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
If you want the AVR/audio-processor in-line with the video, I suggest you put it after the Radiance Pro and use output 2 on a 424X model, for 18 GHz output, or Output 1 for 9 GHz output card after you enable video (need to temporarily use output 2 to see video, then enable video on the 9 GHz Output 1 using the Output Setup Menu, do a Save, and then switch to using Output 1).

Several advantages to having the Pro do the switching over the AVR first scheme:

- The AVR need only support SDR since Pro will tone map HDR10, or HLG, back to SDR (we call this "HDR in a SDR container"). If a new video format is added the AVR would not need to add it before it can be supports, Of course the Pro would but that is true for either connection order.

- If you have a projector that only achieves a 709 Gamut, the Pro can convert to SDR 709 so the AVR then does not need to support Rec 2020.

- The Pro works to minimize output restarts, and you can set the Pro to nearly eliminate them for video. If the Pro output does not restart than the AVR/audio-processor does not need to restart the HDMI connection on either its input or output. The Pro has an internal frame buffer, and especially for 4k most AVRs/audio-processor do not. The frame buffer helps reduce the number of output restarts that have to trickle through the chain. Audio does need to restart on a audio change but if the video is not changing this is faster than if you have the AVR first in the chain.

- I believe the Pro output is more "compatible" than many AVR/audio-processors. At least the Pro output is better at driving AVR inputs than AVRs are at driving the Pro.

So you might want to give the Pro being first in the chain a try so it does the switching.
Jim, thank you for that advice as an alternative video chain which would preserve my AVR's GUI. Although my AVR (Yamaha RX-A3080) is able to successfully pass through HDR BT.2020 for 4K @ 60Hz (18GHz, 4:4:4) to my JVC NX7, I will try that configuration. However, I had originally planned on a 18G 4240 (if the Lumagen was between the AVR & NX7 I'd only need 1 input card). Can 2 of these 4 devices successfully make use of a 9G input card (to change the Lumagen to 4242): ATV4K, Roku Ultra, TiVO Bolt, Sony UBP-X700 UHD player???

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Year 2020 Priority List?

@jrp was wondering what the Yr 2020 priority list is looking like?
When is the FW not "beta"?

Thanks and Happy New Year all!

2019 Feb 28
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/2172017-new-lumagen-radiance-pro-series-134.html#post57675682

Now the dynamic tone mapping is out of the way, what’s next on the priority list?

What’s the current expected features list?
LOL ... that didn't take long

First let me say Dynamic Tone Mapping is out but not complete. As good as I think it is already, I believe we will be tuning it for a while yet. However, there will likely be resource to work on other things.

There are three high priority items (assuming I am not forgetting anything):
- PiP/PoP (for 444X only)
- Some form of 4k image enhancement
- Pipeline precision enhancement to 12-bits, or more, for the entire pipeline

We have not decided yet, but I am leaning toward some form of edge enhancement for 4k sources (and lower resolutions as well of course) as the highest priority.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
If I'm only using 1 HDMI input (4240), am I able to map the 4 physical memory buttons (A-D) on the remote control to 4 virtual memories, or are these buttons specifically tied to separate HDMI inputs?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
If I'm only using 1 HDMI input (4240), am I able to map the 4 physical memory buttons (A-D) on the remote control to 4 virtual memories, or are these buttons specifically tied to separate HDMI inputs?
The A B C D memories are specific to the Inputs be they real or virtual.....ie Input 4 MEM D could be looking at PHYSICAL input 1 as could Input 3 MEM D

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
The A B C D memories are specific to the Inputs be they real or virtual.....ie Input 4 MEM D could be looking at PHYSICAL input 1 as could Input 3 MEM D
Thanks for your response. I seem to be a bit dense here..... I would have only 1 HDMI input source from the AVR (which performs switching from 4 video devices). I want to be able to have 4 virtual memories in the Lumagen, one for each of the video devices plugged into HDMI ports in the AVR (with the potential for separate parameters for each virtual memory=video device). How do I remap the remote control's memory buttons to accomplish that access? The user manual lacks clarity for this feature.

6341 - 6360 of 8140 Posts