AVS Forum banner

7721 - 7740 of 8102 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,897 Posts
I wanted to post an update on Game Mode for the Radiance Pro:

We are doing internal testing of an update that includes a "Game Mode" that significantly reduces the delay through the Radiance Pro when enabled.

With Genlock on, the Game Mode input frame start to output frame start delay should be approximately 1/8 of a frame (roughly 2 mS at 60 Hertz) if the input and output are both 16:9 and not using the "Output Shrink" feature. It should be about 1/4 of a frame delay (roughly 4 mS at 60 Hertz) if output "top shrink" is the typical 12.17% used for a 2.35 screen without an anamorphic lens. It should be about 3/8 of a frame (roughly 6 mS at 60 Hertz) if Output Shrink is 24.34% at the top of the screen (2.35 screen, no lens, all the the blanked pixels above the screen).

Typical caveats for Genlock apply. That is, Genlock will increase jitter to some degree, and some projectors/TVs are not tolerant of the additional jitter. Without Genlock the Pro output jitter is below the HDMI spec, but it might increase to a bit over the HDMI spec with Genlock on. In addition, Genlock forces an HDMI output restart every time the input rate, or source, is changed. This only affects switching time, unless you have a marginal projector input (many are) that has trouble locking on to a new signal or a signal with slightly higher jitter.

With Genlock off, the input to output delay will have an addition zero to one-frame (16.67 mS at 60 Hertz) of delay since the input and output frames free-run and are not in "lock step" as they are with Genlock on.

These times are approximate until we make sure there is no frame tearing in the output (from flipping frames too soon). We are trying to make sure there will be no tearing, but cannot test all possible combinations. When you use Game Mode, if you notice any frame tearing with your specific settings, please let Lumagen support know.

Game Mode will be in the Input->Options->A/V Delay menu (formerly named the "Lip sync" menu). After selecting Game Mode, press OK and answer the "scope" question to say if it should apply to more than the current input and input memory. Then do a Save.

=====

This release will also have a new and better FPGA. We have had a couple people have issues with the current FPGA in 042120. At least one of these systems is now working with the FPGA load in the test release.

=====

If testing continues to go well, we should be posting the new release with Game Mode included on May 5 or 6.

[EDIT] BTW: Game mode works with DTM, *however* the DTM is applied a frame later than the scene cut. So you can use DTM for HDR games, but you might notice this extra frame delay in the change of the transfer function at scene cuts.
Assuming Game Mode might be used for primarily XBox One X and PS4 Pros, it might be nice to have your recommended settings for each of these consoles. Also per your DTM comments, would it just be best to run HDR directly to our projectors vs using DTM? Almost all new games are 4K HDR. The frame delay would only be seen at the beginning of scene cuts vs. game playing? Just want to minimize delay. Thanks for adding this feature! SJ

·
Registered
665 Posts
For anyone who's interested, I was given a beta version of Lightspace today by Steve at @Light Illusion and it has an update which allows the extra precision 1D LUT data to be uploaded, and all seems to be in order so I would guess a release will be fairly imminent :)

Great is it done based on ur current 1D LUT and updated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
aka jfinnie
4,216 Posts
Great is it done based on ur current 1D LUT and updated
If you are a Lightspace / Colorspace user:
- and have the profile you used for a combined 1D/3D upload, then you can re-generate the 1D/3D LUT and upload.
- and did separate 1D and 3DLUTs, you could only re-generate the 1DLUT after which you'd really be advised to do a new 3DLUT (the 3DLUT depends on the 1DLUT).
You can also manually tweak the new improved precision of your existing LUTs, but that sounds painful to me! :)

For what it is worth this is my most recent best-ever calibration of my JVC X7900 for SDR. Done today leveraging the new firmware with higher precision 1DLUT and the Lightspace beta from @Light Illusion.
Greyscale avg dE2k 0.32, min 0.22 max 0.53.
Over 900 colour patches avg 0.26, min 0.01 max 1.25 (only 2 patches over 1).
This was using a QP Primary and Secondary patch run for making the 1DLUT, and then a 21^3 for the 3DLUT.

Attachments

·
aka jfinnie
4,216 Posts
What exactly is that for or what's the benefit?
Without genlock enabled, the HDMI input and output are freerunning relative to each other. This means that you are exposed to the relative accuracy of the clocks in the player and the Lumagen, and as these clocks diverge you eventually end up having to either duplicate or drop video frames. (depending on which of the two devices is running faster). How often these frame adjustments have to happen is determined by the exact combination of equipment.

With genlock enabled, the Radiance links the generation of the HDMI output clock to the HDMI input clock, which stops them slipping relative to each other, and so you shouldn't experience dropped of duplicate frames. This comes at a penalty of the precise timing of the HDMI signal being more jittery, which can cause some gear to be less happy to see it at the input, and so you might experience more HDMI issues if the combination of your HDMI input on your display or other upstream device plus the cables is already on the edge.

The fast and normal options for genlock control parameters around how fast the synching up of the clocks happens; that is a parameter that can help if the setup is marginal.

·
Registered
665 Posts
- and have the profile you used for a combined 1D/3D upload, then you can re-generate the 1D/3D LUT and upload.
- and did separate 1D and 3DLUTs, you could only re-generate the 1DLUT after which you'd really be advised to do a new 3DLUT (the 3DLUT depends on the 1DLUT).
You can also manually tweak the new improved precision of your existing LUTs, but that sounds painful to me! :)

For what it is worth this is my most recent best-ever calibration of my JVC X7900 for SDR. Done today leveraging the new firmware with higher precision 1DLUT and the Lightspace beta from @Light Illusion.
This was using a QP Primary and Secondary patch run for making the 1DLUT, and then a 21^3 for the 3DLUT.

Yes my calibration done using lightspace and I think I am in good hand to get benefit from these 1LUT upgrade

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
587 Posts
Without genlock enabled, the HDMI input and output are freerunning relative to each other. This means that you are exposed to the relative accuracy of the clocks in the player and the Lumagen, and as these clocks diverge you eventually end up having to either duplicate or drop video frames. (depending on which of the two devices is running faster). How often these frame adjustments have to happen is determined by the exact combination of equipment.

With genlock enabled, the Radiance links the generation of the HDMI output clock to the HDMI input clock, which stops them slipping relative to each other, and so you shouldn't experience dropped of duplicate frames. This comes at a penalty of the precise timing of the HDMI signal being more jittery, which can cause some gear to be less happy to see it at the input, and so you might experience more HDMI issues if the combination of your HDMI input on your display or other upstream device plus the cables is already on the edge.

The fast and normal options for genlock control parameters around how fast the synching up of the clocks happens; that is a parameter that can help if the setup is marginal.
great explanation, thank you!

With that in mind, I expect the majority would have it enabled.
Is that actually the case?

·
aka jfinnie
4,216 Posts
great explanation, thank you!

With that in mind, I expect the majority would have it enabled.
Is that actually the case?
I have it enabled, but it isn't enabled by default.
I always argue for correct frame rates where possible, but fact is a lot of folk just don't notice frame drops / stutters (especially if they're very infrequent, or they are already converting everything to 60p to avoid resyncs) and so the default setting for genlock is off as this improves the interoperability of the Radiance Pro. Heck, a lot of folk don't even notice the dropped frame ever 42s from watching 24.0p content at 23.976p that devices like AppleTV do, let alone something that might be around the 30 minutes mark!

Tolerance of poor cadence is much higher in NTSC ~60Hz territories than in PAL/SECAM 50Hz territories as we never had the 3:2 pulldown for film content - our versions of movies just ran a bit faster and sometimes with slightly tighter trousers... :p

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Fw 042820 - Game Mode

http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

- Posted 050620
Renamed Lipsync menu under Input: Options to A/V Delay and added Game Mode as an option in this menu.
Game Mode will keep video delay to a minimum but trades off some quality with Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM).
For absolute minimal video delay through the Pro genlock also needs to enabled (under Input: Options: Genlock ).
A DTM fix for a challenging scene.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware

·
Registered
45 Posts
http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

- Posted 050620
Renamed Lipsync menu under Input: Options to A/V Delay and added Game Mode as an option in this menu.
Game Mode will keep video delay to a minimum but trades off some quality with Dynamic Tone Mapping (DTM).
For absolute minimal video delay through the Pro genlock also needs to enabled (under Input: Options: Genlock ).
A DTM fix for a challenging scene.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware
I just upgraded to SW 042820 and noticed that the status screen shows it as SW 042720. Jim has confirmed that this is a typo, so don't be concerned if you see this.

Cheers Stephen

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts

If you are doing a 1D LUT for your DTM CMS baseline, I would HIGHLY recommend you use ITP for your dE formula over dE2000. It prioritizes our eye sensitivity to darker areas of the image and does a MUCH better job in the lower half of the grayscale/gamma, which is where the bulk of the HDR material we watch is. I find this eliminates a lot of the little issues I see in grays/near black areas even when my dE's for de2000 are less than 1 (my results are similar to yours with dE2000, but if you switch to ITP you'll find that most of your dE's are up in the 3-5 range from about 40% and down). Just FYI.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I have it enabled, but it isn't enabled by default.
I always argue for correct frame rates where possible, but fact is a lot of folk just don't notice frame drops / stutters (especially if they're very infrequent, or they are already converting everything to 60p to avoid resyncs) and so the default setting for genlock is off as this improves the interoperability of the Radiance Pro. Heck, a lot of folk don't even notice the dropped frame ever 42s from watching 24.0p content at 23.976p that devices like AppleTV do, let alone something that might be around the 30 minutes mark!

Tolerance of poor cadence is much higher in NTSC ~60Hz territories than in PAL/SECAM 50Hz territories as we never had the 3:2 pulldown for film content - our versions of movies just ran a bit faster and sometimes with slightly tighter trousers... :p
wondering if I'm also that bad in recognizing it?
Maybe the Shield is less of a problem.

·
aka jfinnie
4,216 Posts
If you are doing a 1D LUT for your DTM CMS baseline, I would HIGHLY recommend you use ITP for your dE formula over dE2000. It prioritizes our eye sensitivity to darker areas of the image and does a MUCH better job in the lower half of the grayscale/gamma, which is where the bulk of the HDR material we watch is. I find this eliminates a lot of the little issues I see in grays/near black areas even when my dE's for de2000 are less than 1 (my results are similar to yours with dE2000, but if you switch to ITP you'll find that most of your dE's are up in the 3-5 range from about 40% and down). Just FYI.
I'm following the dEITP stuff with interest. I'm not sure if you noticed these results also show the average and min/max dEITP and also dE76 (I just quote the dE2K as that is what most folk are currently familiar with). They're pretty good too.

Most of my grey results are <0.5dEITP, but there is one which is high. I will have a look at that again at some point :)

For what it is worth as I understand Lightspace doesn't actually use the dE formulas for the LUT generation, they're just reporting after the fact.

·
aka jfinnie
4,216 Posts
wondering if I'm also that bad in recognizing it?
Maybe the Shield is less of a problem.
As I say it is a combination of viewer susceptibility, particular refresh rates being used and the clock characteristics of the individual devices in terms of how fast they drift relative to each other. If you don't notice any issue with genlock off, and you don't need ultimate low latency, it sounds like the best option is to leave it disabled. Why expose yourself to a potential issue for no observed benefit?

·
Registered
125 Posts
For what it is worth as I understand Lightspace doesn't actually use the dE formulas for the LUT generation, they're just reporting after the fact.
If anyone knows how to change the dE formulas for LUT generation for LightSpace, please tell me. I've been wondering why I can't change that or find a way. Thanks.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Assuming Game Mode might be used for primarily XBox One X and PS4 Pros, it might be nice to have your recommended settings for each of these consoles. Also per your DTM comments, would it just be best to run HDR directly to our projectors vs using DTM? Almost all new games are 4K HDR. The frame delay would only be seen at the beginning of scene cuts vs. game playing? Just want to minimize delay. Thanks for adding this feature! SJ
I can help with the Xbox One settings.

Settings > General > TV & display options:
  • Resolution: 4K UHD
  • Refresh rate: 60 Hz
Video modes
  • Allow 50Hz
  • Allow 24Hz
  • Allow YCC 4:2:2
  • Allow 4K
  • Allow HDR10
Also, don't forget to set speaker output (in Settings > General > Volume & audio output) to your preferred multichannel format (I use Dolby Atmos for example).

Jim, thank you so much for adding the Game Mode and the focus on a low latency path. I very much appreciate it!

·
aka jfinnie
4,216 Posts
If anyone knows how to change the dE formulas for LUT generation for LightSpace, please tell me. I've been wondering why I can't change that or find a way. Thanks.
You can't. The LUTs are not generated targeting a certain dE characteristic. The LUT algorithms use other criteria for working out where to place points for the best LUT.
Otherwise you couldn't have different LUT algorithms like peak chroma and map space, which have quite different approaches to gamut edges.

LS displays all 3 dE formulas at once in the manual measure and profile info page, and you can set reports to use one or several formulas on the relevant charts (Like the dE distribution graph I showed).

At least one other good reason not to use dE for point calcs in LUT generation is that dE has no direction vector - so if you have a LUT algo targetting purely dE it can't know which side of the point it is, and so this can contribute to very poor LUTs with banding. Otherwise you can have 2 adjacent points which have ended up on opposite sides of the target so their relative distance is increased.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
Jim Peterson and I were featured on a recent podcast and talked all things Lumagen. This was my second appearance on "The Fun Waste of Time" podcast, which is run by a HT Enthuasist who is also one of my calibration clients. You can check it out on my podcast services or at the link below.

Fun Waste of Time Podcast

I also just did a web seminar with Metra and JVC about projector calibration (we didn't get to everything in the time allotted, so probably will have a follow up on this) and we discuss the Lumagen for a few minutes.

7721 - 7740 of 8102 Posts