AVS Forum banner

7961 - 7980 of 8726 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Unfortunately the update has made interaction with the Panasonic UB900 worse. I will send an email to support.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Unfortunately the update has made interaction with the Panasonic UB900 worse. I will send an email to support.

I always unplug the hdmi cable from lumagen only and do boot mode update this method keep me safe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you reboot the Panasonic after the update was installed? Pat told me to do so and the problem with the Zappiti was gone.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I did unplug the Panasonic UB900 and plug it back in - not sure if that is what you mean as "reboot?"
That didnt change anything :(
Patrick has emailed me and is looking into it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I did unplug the Panasonic UB900 and plug it back in - not sure if that is what you mean as "reboot?"
That didnt change anything :(
Patrick has emailed me and is looking into it.
Install the firmware and disconnect the power plug of the UB900 and reboot. That´s what helped me fix it.It did not work with the Zappiti in standby...

·
Premium Member
3,515 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Question - what Happens if someone installs 051820 which has new firmware for HDMI- and then rolls back to a previous firmware such as 041120 - does the New Firmware stay or does that roll back also?
Yes.

Each firmware checks if the I/O microcode is what it expects, and if not loads the I/O microcode (included in the update), that it expects.

So if you roll back to 041120, you would get the original 18 GHz input card microcode associated with that release and not the new input microcode.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
A couple comments on recent posts. I have said most of this recently, but for reference:

- For updates, especially those that change the I/O chip microcode, it is a good idea to turn off other components. I don't think unplugging is needed, but it is reasonable to do. However, if you unplug HDMI cables, I recommend always disconnecting wall power from all devices before plugging HDMI cables in to help insure there is no possible damage to circuitry due to a "ground loop."

- After a Radiance Pro software update, I recommend pulling Radiance Pro power before restarting. This insures a "cold boot" for the Radiance Pro. Certainly not generally needed, but never a bad idea. There is the potential that if the update has some issue it is possible it could leave the always-running "standby code" in a corrupted state. A cold boot gives the Radiance Pro microprocessor a fresh start.

- Some good news on the recent 18 GHz input chip microcode (a.k.a. firmware). The chip vendor's new 18 GHz input microcode has introduced a couple new HDMI input bugs. However, Patrick is working through these and it looks like we can overcome all the newly introduced bugs. And most importantly in testing the new microcode works around the AppleTV 4k's bug of changing the HDR10 "static" Metadata every 30 seconds when it shouldn't. This used to cause audio dropouts on Dolby Vision (converted to HDR10 by the Apple TV) with ATMOS content from the Apple store. In testing this content now plays without the dropouts.

- As I posted, if you do notice issues while using the latest 18 GHz input microcode, after you update to the then current release, please let us know and we will do our best to resolve them.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiancepro_updates

FW 060120
- Posted 060920
Fix for corrupted video issue in 052620 update when using Panasonic UB9000 UHD player as source.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
I can confirm from the field that 060120 resolves the Panasonic issue with the BD-UB820. Today I’ll be updating the software in a theater with the BD-UB9000.

UPDATE: 060120 also resolved the issue with the BD-UB9000 today.

Ken Whitcomb

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
FYI another word of warning for Gmail users. After previous responses to my emails to Lumagen support had been sent to the spam folder, I added their email address to my contacts and marked it as a favorite (and marked those messages as not spam). We had been happily sending back and forth (maybe 20 emails) without issue, until today when I found the latest response in the spam folder again!

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm still getting the lumagen now randomly switching inputs . I leave my lumagen on and turn the receiver and projector on and off. I have the Nvidia shield pro on input 1 and a Facebook portal on input 3. Randomly a few times I've turned on the projector and receiver it'll have switched to input 3. Also sometimes it'll be 4:3 instead of 16:9 . And I have to change it back which is super weird.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I'm sure the Lumagen isn't causing any issue, but I wanted to post this question here since I do have a Lumagen (so it's another piece of the puzzle), and I find the members in this sub-forum to be quite helpful in diagnosing issues.

I have a Denon 6500. The audio from my Oppo goes directly to it, via hdmi output 2. Hdmi output 1 goes to my Lumagen, then to my Sony 885 projector.

I've been (maybe a bit too hyper-focused lately) noticing lip sync "issues". We watched Black Panther last night. During the post-credits scene speech to the UN, his mouth matches the audio perfectly. However, at other times, it seems speech is out of sync with lip movement (by maybe a frame or so?). I've been trying to zero in on a good audio delay setting on my denon.

Is it normal for a movie to vary scene to scene in terms of lip sync? Is it normal for a movie to have that "much" variability? I completely admit I'm probably focusing too much on lip movement.

Thanks,

Chris

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
.NET Solution Architect
961 Posts
Let me preface this by saying I'm sure the Lumagen isn't causing any issue, but I wanted to post this question here since I do have a Lumagen (so it's another piece of the puzzle), and I find the members in this sub-forum to be quite helpful in diagnosing issues.

I have a Denon 6500. The audio from my Oppo goes directly to it, via hdmi output 2. Hdmi output 1 goes to my Lumagen, then to my Sony 885 projector.

I've been (maybe a bit too hyper-focused lately) noticing lip sync "issues". We watched Black Panther last night. During the post-credits scene speech to the UN, his mouth matches the audio perfectly. However, at other times, it seems speech is out of sync with lip movement (by maybe a frame or so?). I've been trying to zero in on a good audio delay setting on my denon.

Is it normal for a movie to vary scene to scene in terms of lip sync? Is it normal for a movie to have that "much" variability? I completely admit I'm probably focusing too much on lip movement.

Thanks,

Chris
Try finding audio from main hdmi 1 which goes into Lumagen from hdmi out 2 I to your Denon you shouldn't have sync issues as this is how I run it

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Try finding audio from main hdmi 1 which goes into Lumagen from hdmi out 2 I to your Denon you shouldn't have sync issues as this is how I run it

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I haven't been running audio through my lumagen lately since I've had too many audio drop outs (1 or 2 per film). I've been working with Jim to try to find a solution to that. That being said, even running audio through the Lumagen still seems to have variability within a film...again, trying to see if this is just normal (overdubs of dialog in certain scenes not sync'd well) with films, or if I do in fact have an issue.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

Thanks,

Chris
Considering that the Denon X6500 is a recent (2018) AVR, you could try placing the Lumagen after the AVR and run the Oppo (and any other video sources) directly to the AVR, allowing the AVR to be your switching device, rather than the Lumagen. This configuration works perfectly for me, using the Yamaha RX-A3080 AVR (pass through, non-processed video) as the video switcher, supplying the Lumagen with only one HDMI input.

·
Registered
18,491 Posts
Yeah, I haven't been running audio through my lumagen lately since I've had too many audio drop outs (1 or 2 per film). I've been working with Jim to try to find a solution to that. That being said, even running audio through the Lumagen still seems to have variability within a film...again, trying to see if this is just normal (overdubs of dialog in certain scenes not sync'd well) with films, or if I do in fact have an issue.
I don't see that at all. I run audio to my Denon X8500 from my Oppo 203 and video direct to the Lumagen. Are you pausing the disc at some point and then re-starting it ?

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
Jim,

I don’t see in the OPPO menu system where to set only the OSD to output 24 Hz. Are you referring to changing the output resolution from source direct to (probably) Custom UHD 24 Hz?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not Jim but that is exactly how he does what you're asking about.

This did not work, so it must be necessary to also set the Radiance Pro to also output 24Hz?

Thanks.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I don't see that at all. I run audio to my Denon X8500 from my Oppo 203 and video direct to the Lumagen. Are you pausing the disc at some point and then re-starting it ?

Nope. :/

I want to reiterate that I'm (purposely and admittedly insanely) hyper focusing on actors mouths and whether the dialog precisely matches their lip movements.

My daughters and I watched black panther last night and infinity war today. At different points in each movie, there's dialog that perfectly matches the actors mouths. Other times, it seems like it's slightly early or late (hard to tell).

I'm trying to ascertain if there really is an issue or it's just "normal" for films to contain this much "slop" or "play" in certain scenes. I realize some dialog is recorded later and overdubbed. Maybe that's what I'm seeing.

I realize what I'm doing is slightly silly. So I'm also trying to look for precise sound effects (someone tapping on something, or something else discrete) and see how those line up with what's on screen.

I'm not sure what made me start watching this so closely recently. But I did feel, with some recent movies we've watched, that generally the lip sync was off. That's why i started mucking with the denon audio delay setting.

The problem with the av sync patterns I have is they are just basic dts and most movies I watch are in atmos. So I wonder how much that could affect timing. I don't know. I'm just guessing. But I do feel like something's off (noticeable lip sync) and I would love to get it dialed in better or know for a fact that the offending scenes are "baked in" to the source material, and it's not my gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7961 - 7980 of 8726 Posts