AVS Forum banner

8101 - 8120 of 9204 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
For you guys with projectors, do you set them to Full, Limited, or Auto HDMI dynamic range signal, and if you do change from the default which is Auto, does it entail a change of settings in your Lumagen to work with that change?

From what I've read, projectors should be set to 'Limited', as video content is within this range (16-235). However, when I do that and run the Spears & Munsil calibration disc / brightness etc. test patterns, it seems I'm missing details, that show up when I change the projector back to 'Full'.

Similarly, when it comes to creating 3d lut, some calibration apps (like Lightspace/Colourspace) allow you to specify whether patterns should be 0-255 or 16-235. I've tried multiple combinations of these with Full/Limited and I'm still not getting to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
176 Posts
We do not have other reports of the JVC IR commands overlapping the Radiance Pro IR commands, but it is possible.
That's interesting. I observed this for years with several JVC X-series Projectors here in my HC.

If the Pro receives IR pulses that form a valid command, there is no way to tell the Pro to not interpret a valid command as a valid command, nor should there be. So it is not a shortcoming in the software, but a shortcoming in the industry that IR code overlap can occur.
Yes, and I'm afraid, that in worst cases multiple reflected / overlapped JVC impulses in the room are look like code pulses of a Pro remote.

I think, that the Pro FW starts a gate time of n ms when it gets triggered by a new recevied IR code after a while, collecting every packet as long as the gate is open, before it decides to execute a command or throw it away. If so, the idea is to extend this time frame a little longer + test, whether all received code packets contained therein are identical and w/o jitter. Maybe something like that could reduce the effect - of course only, if you do all that by SW or FPGA logic.

Honestly said, with my current Pro device that doesn't happen as often as with the previous one. So thanks for your suggestion regarding disabling the OK button, but it would only help in one case - one other (rare) effect is the change of the aspect ratio ... it depends on which button or -sequence I use on the JVC Remote control; most times these are the MENU, the navigation and the OK button.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've been reading through this thread. Is anyone using a pro to drive a 85" or larger 4K LCD screen? If so, have you seen any benefits.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi, i realy needs some little help with seting. Right now i use this combination JVC DLA N7, Lumagen Radiance PRO 4446 and Panamorph Paladin DCR lens. I set output on my Lumagen to 4090x2160 (based on what Craig wrote here to some others member). All works greate but not for netflix or 16:9 content like PS4 games. Netflix has a lot of shifted captions out of the picture so i must use on my JVC Anamorphic D mode and for 2.35:1 content i use JVC Anamorphic C. Or Lumagen can handle all of this? The difference in brightness between Anamorphic C and D is quite large not only for me but also for my wife. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've been reading through this thread. Is anyone using a pro to drive a 85" or larger 4K LCD screen? If so, have you seen any benefits.
Well, it's not a 85" but I've seen the benefits on my 75" Sony LCD. Not as dramatic visually as on my old Sony 1080p LCOS set but still there nonetheless. Depending on the source and resolution, there are times I just can't believe how good the image is. I just need some pro calibration fine-tuning for 4K HDR.

Add in the switching abilities and it's a winner for me.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hi, i realy needs some little help with seting. Right now i use this combination JVC DLA N7, Lumagen Radiance PRO 4446 and Panamorph Paladin DCR lens. I set output on my Lumagen to 4090x2160 (based on what Craig wrote here to some others member). All works great but not for netflix or 16:9 content like PS4 games. Netflix has a lot of shifted captions out of the picture so i must use on my JVC Anamorphic D mode and for 2.35:1 content i use JVC Anamorphic C. Or Lumagen can handle all of this? The difference in brightness between Anamorphic C and D is quite large not only for me but also for my wife. :)

Thanks
I would be happy to help but this would be best done on the phone. There are some details best You can call our support line at 503-574-2211 Option 2 after about 9 AM Pacific time and into the evening Pacific time.

====

In the mean time, at a high level:

You can setup a "Memory" (e.g. MEMA to MEMD), and have a different amount of "shrink" in the output so that content not in the active raster is still visible. You do not need to change any setting in the projector for this. The Radiance Pro does all the heavy lifting.

You use the Output Setup Menu to select "All" for input, MEMB (for example), and "All" for input resolutions, then right arrow over under the Style column and select a different Style (Style 1 for example). Press OK to accept and then press EXIT. Then select MEMB (assuming that's the one you choose).

Since you have a Paladin, you may need to change the output aspect for this memory (in Style 1 if that is what you choose) so the content naturally appears shorter so the out-of-active area you need is visible. This is essentially miss-reporting the output aspect so the image is smaller and you can see the out of active raster content. Then you can adjust vertical shift in the Input menu, and/or Output Shrink (may need this for both top/Bottom, and for Left/Right) in the Style 1 menu as needed. Do a Save once you are done.

This should allow you to use MEMB to shrink the active area and adjust of the active area looks good, but the out-of-active-area where the captions appear is also visible.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
We are getting close to an enhancement release for DTM. This only affect a very few tough scenes, but we are excited about improving these important scenes.

Scenes affected are where a spotlight, or the Sun, pans into image in a way that does not cause a "Scene Cut." The beginning of "The Meg" panning across the submarine's spotlight, the beginning of "The Martian" where the Sun comes out from behind Mars, and the "Boat Spot Light" scene in Jaws HDR release (I think this is just over 44 minutes in, but might be remembering wrong), are three cases in point. These, and any other scenes with similar characteristics, are improved with this upcoming release.

==========================================================

There is a new Radiance Pro feature for use with the Kaleidescape Strato:

This release also has a new feature for the Strato where the Pro can use the HDMI Info Frame "Graphics Flag" (set while showing the OSD), to distinguish it from video content (HDMI Info Frame reports "Video"). Here is the overview:

The Strato only outputs its OSD at 50 or 60 Hertz. To use this new feature to speed up movie starts we program the Pro output 24 Hertz for the Strato OSD, and for 24 Hertz video, and then have the Pro output 60 Hertz for 60 Hertz video content. This allows us to optimize the time it takes starting Strato movies at 24 Hertz, and still have 60 Hertz video content show at 60 Hertz automatically. I first program the Pro to "match content" for vertical rate (MENU 0872 for 3840 wide or MENU 0877 for 4096 wide). Then I program the Pro to output 4k24 for the OSD (using the Graphics Flag to know when this is). To do this I first use the new menu entry Input.Options.HDMI Setup.Use Graphics Flag = Yes (or it will be named something similar). Then I use the Output Setup Menu to select the Strato-input-number for the Input column, "All" for Memory, and "Other" for Input Mode. Then select 4k24 (either 4096 wide or 3840 wide, as appropriate) for the Output Mode. Then press OK, and then EXIT, and then do a Save. As this implies the Pro uses the "Other" input mode detection (usually reserved for PC resolutions) for this new feature.

The Pro should be set to SDR709 for both CMS0 and CMS1, or SDRP3 for both CMS0 and CMS1, or SDR2020 for both CMS0 and CMS1. Also HDR Flag = Off, and 2020 < -- > 601/709 = Auto Convert. These settings eliminate the Radiance Pro output restart that happens going from the OSD (SDR709) to/from an HDR movie.

In the Strato IP setup interface you need to go to: Settings -> Video -> Advanced Video Settings -> HDMI Content Type Metadata, and select the "Transmit content type metadata" option.

With this feature a 24 Hertz movie starts, or stops, take about 6 seconds in our Lumagen Demo Theater. This is the time the Strato takes to change from its 60 Hertz OSD, to 24 Hertz for movie content, and for the Pro to lock on to the change. It includes the time to start the movie (which I also believe is around 6 seconds. I say this since switching input rate on the Pro without an output change takes about 3 seconds and this case should be the same. This indicates the output rate change lock-on time at the Pro input does not increase the movie start time).

This is one of those cases where owning the company allows me to get a feature no one else has even asked for :). However, I think many Strato owners will like the ability to start movies faster (at the cost of a slower start time for 60 Hertz Video content). Side note: This might prove useful in certain cases for PCs, if the PC uses the Video/Graphics flags.

NOTE: I am not currently using the Kaleidescape "Costar" feature in the Lumagen Demo Theater. So I am not sure how content actually played form the "Costar" HDMI output (e.g. DVI discs not on the hard drive) will work with this feature. I have recently learned that content that is stored on the Costar hard-drive is actually played through the Strato. So this content should work with this feature.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
This release also has a new feature for the Strato where the Pro can use the HDMI Info Frame "Graphics Flag" (set while showing the OSD), to distinguish it from video content (HDMI Info Frame reports "Video"). Here is the overview:

The Strato only outputs its OSD at 50 or 60 Hertz. To use this new feature to speed up movie starts we program the Pro output 24 Hertz for the Strato OSD, and for 24 Hertz video, and then have the Pro output 60 Hertz for 60 Hertz video content. This allows us to optimize the time it takes starting Strato movies at 24 Hertz, and still have 60 Hertz video content show at 60 Hertz automatically. I first program the Pro to "match content" for vertical rate (MENU 0872 for 3840 wide or MENU 0877 for 4096 wide). Then I program the Pro to output 4k24 for the OSD (using the Graphics Flag to know when this is). To do this I first use the new menu entry Input.Options.HDMI Setup.Use Graphics Flag = Yes (or it will be named something similar). Then I use the Output Setup Menu to select the Strato-input-number for the Input column, "All" for Memory, and "Other" for Input Mode. Then select 4k24 (either 4096 wide or 3840 wide, as appropriate) for the Output Mode. Then press OK, and then EXIT, and then do a Save. As this implies the Pro uses the "Other" input mode detection (usually reserved for PC resolutions) for this new feature.

The Pro should be set to SDR709 for both CMS0 and CMS1, or SDRP3 for both CMS0 and CMS1, or SDR2020 for both CMS0 and CMS1. Also HDR Flag = Off, and 2020 < -- > 601/709 = Auto Convert. These settings eliminate the Radiance Pro output restart that happens going from the OSD (SDR709) to/from an HDR movie.

In the Strato IP setup interface you need to go to: Settings -> Video -> Advanced Video Settings -> HDMI Content Type Metadata, and select the "Transmit content type metadata" option.
Jim - For technically challenged users - how about posting Youtube Videos of such instructions - most folks can follow video instructions way better than write ups.
Will also help your internet presence and google clicks...
My two cents

·
Registered
29,648 Posts
That's interesting. I observed this for years with several JVC X-series Projectors here in my HC.

Yes, and I'm afraid, that in worst cases multiple reflected / overlapped JVC impulses in the room are look like code pulses of a Pro remote.

I think, that the Pro FW starts a gate time of n ms when it gets triggered by a new recevied IR code after a while, collecting every packet as long as the gate is open, before it decides to execute a command or throw it away. If so, the idea is to extend this time frame a little longer + test, whether all received code packets contained therein are identical and w/o jitter. Maybe something like that could reduce the effect - of course only, if you do all that by SW or FPGA logic.

Honestly said, with my current Pro device that doesn't happen as often as with the previous one. So thanks for your suggestion regarding disabling the OK button, but it would only help in one case - one other (rare) effect is the change of the aspect ratio ... it depends on which button or -sequence I use on the JVC Remote control; most times these are the MENU, the navigation and the OK button.
I have none of these issues in my room and I know a whole bunch of people with JVC's and Lumagens that also do not have this issue. In fact I do not know of anyone else that has this issue with Lumagen, when paired with a JVC.

·
Registered
18,621 Posts
Regarding IR - very rarely my Pro erroneously does respond to the JVC Projector IR remote; then the information page pops up on screen in almost every case.

It's not a big problem, but I wonder, if there's any chance for a FW improvement to discard those erroneously received commands ... ?
I've never had this happen with my RS4500.

·
Registered
734 Posts
We are getting close to an enhancement release for DTM. This only affect a very few tough scenes, but we are excited about improving these important scenes.

Scenes affected are where a spotlight, or the Sun, pans into image in a way that does not cause a "Scene Cut." The beginning of "The Meg" panning across the submarine's spotlight, the beginning of "The Martian" where the Sun comes out from behind Mars, and the "Boat Spot Light" scene in Jaws HDR release (I think this is just over 44 minutes in, but might be remembering wrong), are three cases in point. These, and any other scenes with similar characteristics, are improved with this upcoming release.

==========================================================

There is a new Radiance Pro feature for use with the Kaleidescape Strato:

With this feature a 24 Hertz movie starts, or stops, take about 6 seconds in our Lumagen Demo Theater. This is the time the Strato takes to change from its 60 Hertz OSD, to 24 Hertz for movie content, and for the Pro to lock on to the change. It includes the time to start the movie (which I also believe is around 6 seconds. I say this since switching input rate on the Pro without an output change takes about 3 seconds and this case should be the same. This indicates the output rate change lock-on time at the Pro input does not increase the movie start time).

This is one of those cases where owning the company allows me to get a feature no one else has even asked for :). However, I think many Strato owners will like the ability to start movies faster (at the cost of a slower start time for 60 Hertz Video content). Side note: This might prove useful in certain cases for PCs, if the PC uses the Video/Graphics flags.

NOTE: I am not currently using the Kaleidescape "Costar" feature in the Lumagen Demo Theater. So I am not sure how content actually played form the "Costar" HDMI output (e.g. DVI discs not on the hard drive) will work with this feature. I have recently learned that content that is stored on the Costar hard-drive is actually played through the Strato. So this content should work with this feature.
Looking forward to use this option with K-scape and i think it will work with the barco /K-scape feature to transmit the right metadata option in K-scape well done @jrp silence then boom again another great upgrade with a lot of feature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
aka jfinnie
4,436 Posts
Regarding IR - very rarely my Pro erroneously does respond to the JVC Projector IR remote; then the information page pops up on screen in almost every case.

It's not a big problem, but I wonder, if there's any chance for a FW improvement to discard those erroneously received commands ... ?
I use a Harmony remote and it has never happened with that, but Harmony's IR pulse train often doesn't much look like the OEM remote with respect to inter-key etc timings.

Out of interest, is there anything non-standard about IR in your room - are you using IR extenders or anything like that?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello, everyone.
I have a question about Sony VPL-VW885ES and Lumagen Radiance Pro. Right now Sony 885ES has firmware bug with HDR mode.
Can the firmware bug(the near black bug/posterization issue and banding in HDR mode) be solved completely with Lumagen Radiance Pro?
Thank you for your help and support.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hello, everyone.
I have a question about Sony VPL-VW885ES and Lumagen Radiance Pro. Right now Sony 885ES has firmware bug with HDR mode.
Can the firmware bug(the near black bug/posterization issue and banding in HDR mode) be solved completely with Lumagen Radiance Pro?
I answered your question in the Sony thread already
The answer is still no. BUT: there will be a new firmware for the near black bug this fall, unfortunately banding cannot be resolved at this point with Sony projectors. I checked all dithering settings on the Lumagen, no success. It might be panel related (8bit/10bit) in the Sony. I don´t know if it´s possible to programm the radiance to eliminate banding, maybe Jim knows.You could write him a pm to [email protected].

·
Registered
290 Posts
Running an LRP with a JVC RS2000. For calibration purposes (may be the wrong reason) I was exploring the option to calibrate and run in DCI-P3 colorspace. The LRP warns that DCI with YCbCr might work but is not supported. Due to bandwidth limits I tried calibrating to DCI-P3 with YCbCr422 using Chromapure but it fails the calibration with a messed up grayscale. Is that because of the YCbCr422? Seems weird. Certainly could be an issue with the software.

FWIW, I thought calibrating against DCI-P3 was a good idea because everything is mastered to that and my projector can only do DCI-P3 anyways. Also, if I calibrate against SDR2020, Chromapure reports the projector's performance (DCI-P3) against BT.2020...which is way off (again maybe this is just a software issue).

·
Registered
29,648 Posts
Running an LRP with a JVC RS2000. For calibration purposes (may be the wrong reason) I was exploring the option to calibrate and run in DCI-P3 colorspace. The LRP warns that DCI with YCbCr might work but is not supported. Due to bandwidth limits I tried calibrating to DCI-P3 with YCbCr422 using Chromapure but it fails the calibration with a messed up grayscale. Is that because of the YCbCr422? Seems weird. Certainly could be an issue with the software.

FWIW, I thought calibrating against DCI-P3 was a good idea because everything is mastered to that and my projector can only do DCI-P3 anyways. Also, if I calibrate against SDR2020, Chromapure reports the projector's performance (DCI-P3) against BT.2020...which is way off (again maybe this is just a software issue).
4K HDR is BT2020 container but currently only using a color space that is the size of DCI-P3. DCI-P3 mode is in the projector for commercial use for like screening rooms showing actual DCI content, think Hollywood. You should not be using DCI mode.

·
Premium Member
3,973 Posts
Not sure what a Costar hard-drive is, but movies played from a paired system (either Premier or an Encore Alto/DV700) use the OSD of the Strato and then switch to a different HDMI output for movie playback (per defined in the Lumagen Pro). Can that other HDMI output also be configured the same? Most movies played from that output are 1080P24. Thanks for adding this feature! SJ

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Hello, everyone.
The Radiance Pro should be set to "Output HDR content in a SDR container" (typically CMS-Colorspace = SDR2020, with HDR Mapping enabled). Set up this way the Pro never outputs, and the Sony never sees, HDR. This "technically" eliminates the "HDR bug" you mention, but we have seen cases where a Sony projector can show contouring when a JVC in the same room getting the same signal did not. In this example a Sony VW995ES and a JVC RS4500. However, the Pro can help mitigate this issue in the Sony.

The Radiance Pro has an output "Dither" feature. Dither adds a small amount of noise to the lowest bit, or bits, of the Radiance Pro output. Google "dither" for more information.

Dithering can help the issue you are seeing on the Sony with HDR content (which may appear even when the Pro is sending "HDR in a SDR container"). A case in point is the Sony VW5000ES. Internally it is a DCI projector with an 8-bit Display Port interface (or so I am told). The external interface is HDMI and the input board converts HDMI to 8-bits and sends this to the internal Display Port interface. This is what I am told by several people, but I have no way to absolutely confirm this. Seeing some contouring on the Sony VW5000ES, I believe this is the case.

If the Pro sends 12-bit 4:2:2 to the Sony it looks like it is truncated to 8-bit. A better approach is to have the Pro dither to 8-bit output. I am not certain, but sending 8-bit RGB to a Sony VW5000ES may be the best option since DCI projectors are generally optimized for an RGB interface.

In any case, the LSB for each channel (either RGB, or YCbCr) would have the dither applied, and so will mitigate any "flat spots" created the projector "truncating" to 8-bits by ether incrementing the pixel values (at the effective 8-bit radix point), or leaving them alone, (somewhat) randomly. Then the human eye averages the color and intensity over a few pixels and sees a ramp rather than a flat spot "contour." Since even sitting only one screen-width away from a 4k screen the smallest detail a human eye can see (generally specified as one Arc-second) has the area of two pixels, the dither is easily averaged by the human eye and looks "smooth."

I am not sure what the input-to-screen effective bit-depth is for the Sony VW995ES. I suggest you find a very detailed scene of actual video content (I recommend finding one on the Spears and Munsil test disc), and then pause. Then try different amounts of dither using a 4:2:2 (which is 12-bit) output from the Pro. You may well find that the image looks better dithered to 8, 9, or 10 bits. It is also possible you will not be able to notice a difference between no dither (12-bits) and these settings. You need to do the experiment to know. I think others would be interested in your results.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Not sure what a Costar hard-drive is, but movies played from a paired system (either Premier or an Encore Alto/DV700) use the OSD of the Strato and then switch to a different HDMI output for movie playback (per defined in the Lumagen Pro). Can that other HDMI output also be configured the same? Most movies played from that output are 1080P24. Thanks for adding this feature! SJ
The info I had on this was not complete.

It turns out that content on the hard drive (only) of an Alto, paired as a Costar with a Strato, is played through the Strato and output from the Strato HDMI output. However, for other Costar models (such as the Cinema One we have) all content is output from the Costar's HDMI output port. This is directly from a Kaleidescape technical employee, and I think I am passing this on correctly.

I am going to set up our Cinema One as a Costar and test if the HDMI info frame "Graphics/Video content type" works with the Radiance Pro Costar implementation (where two input are used. One for the Strato and one for the Costar), or can be made to work.

8101 - 8120 of 9204 Posts