AVS Forum banner

8841 - 8860 of 11120 Posts

·
aka jfinnie
5,075 Posts
oh this is awesome.. anyone out there want to do this for the arcam? :)
So quick question, how is this connected? a bit confused on what's connected to what and how you inject the data into the lumagen as I don't recall it having ether
My Raspberry Pi has a USB serial adapter on it connected to the Lumagen serial port (though you could use the USB port too I believe, but I have that connected to my PC for calibration duties). So direct connection to the Lumagen. I use IP connections to the Receiver (and also to my projector - JVC X7900 - and screen masks controller).

This script was just an example to prove the concept. I'm going to integrate it with the rest of my control script that switches projector modes and deals with screen masking from auto-aspect.

I did have an Arcam prior to the NAD, just never got round to doing it. The lack of volume OSD never really bothered me that much, but actually having got it working nowI might well keep it. I see there are further options to set the colour and blend value of the messages, so I'm going to play with them later, as it is nice to be able to see this info but not have it jump out at you.

·
aka jfinnie
5,075 Posts
I got the transparency stuff set up, looks sweet. See a quick vid of it in action here:

Code:
import time
import serial
import nad_receiver
from nad_receiver.nad_transport import TelnetTransport

class avr(nad_receiver.NADReceiver):
    """NAD Receiver"""
    def __init__(self) -> None:
        self.transport = TelnetTransport("192.168.10.173",23,10)

receiver=avr()
volume = receiver.main_volume('?')
ser = serial.Serial('/dev/ttyUSB0',9600,timeout=86400 )  # open serial port
#set OSD colours
osdStr='ZY4180000000\n'
ser.write(bytes(osdStr,'ascii'))
osdStr='ZY4181FFFFFF\n'
osdStr='ZY4182000004\n'
while True:
        time.sleep(0.1)

readVolume = receiver.main_volume('?')
        while readVolume == None:
        if volume != readVolume:
                volume = readVolume
                readCodec = None
                while readCodec == None:
                        readCodec = receiver.main_audiocodec('?')
                osdStr='ZT2'+str(volume)+' '+readCodec+'\n'

·
Premium Member
11,308 Posts
or just get a harmony with is much cheaper and works just as well.

Thats what I use, it controls everything, my lights, fan units, wifi plug adapters, AC and 7 pieces of equipment in my rack.

The only thing it won’t do is adjust the temperature on my Ac unit or switch the AC off, so I need a remote for that, but that’s the limitation of the AC rather than the remote.
I did not suggest any of those kinds of control options because if Terry has said it once, he has said it 10 times. "I am not a techie" and I don't think he has any interest in learning how to program such a device. If his integrator can do the programming on such a device and get it to replace all of his remotes, then I concur!!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I measured the light output of my Epson LS 10000 on a Da Lite High Gain and got 120 nits (35Fl).Should I leave DTM to its default settings?

Also how do I see whether a 3D lut has been uploaded? I got the unit second hand and do not know whether a LUT was applied or not.

TIA

·
aka jfinnie
5,075 Posts
I measured the light output of my Epson LS 10000 on a Da Lite High Gain and got 120 nits (35Fl).Should I leave DTM to its default settings?

Also how do I see whether a 3D lut has been uploaded? I got the unit second hand and do not know whether a LUT was applied or not.
Regardless of whether there is a 3DLUT, it's not going to be any use to you unless it is for your projector measured with your screen in your room. So just do an upgrade to latest version and then a factory reset - this is the recommended installation process.

·
Premium Member
4,539 Posts
I got the transparency stuff set up, looks sweet. See a quick vid of it in action here:

Code:
import time
import serial
import nad_receiver
from nad_receiver.nad_transport import TelnetTransport

class avr(nad_receiver.NADReceiver):
    """NAD Receiver"""
    def __init__(self) -> None:
        self.transport = TelnetTransport("192.168.10.173",23,10)

receiver=avr()
volume = receiver.main_volume('?')
ser = serial.Serial('/dev/ttyUSB0',9600,timeout=86400 )  # open serial port
#set OSD colours
osdStr='ZY4180000000\n'
osdStr='ZY4181FFFFFF\n'
osdStr='ZY4182000004\n'
while True:
        time.sleep(0.1)

while readVolume == None:
        if volume != readVolume:
                volume = readVolume
                readCodec = None
                while readCodec == None:
                        readCodec = receiver.main_audiocodec('?')
                osdStr='ZT2'+str(volume)+' '+readCodec+'\n'
This looks fantastic, and is a great solution for devices without an OSD, like the Monoprice HTP-1, for example.

Is it possible to take the code, and modify it for a different AVP / AVR that has IP Control? Looking at the code, it seems like you would just need to change the following:

Device hostname from "nad_receiver" to whatever is the hostname of the users AVP/AVR.
IP address
The codes following the IP address from 23,10 to something else, unless this is a code applicable to all AVP/AVRs?

Thanks for any insight.

Mark

·
aka jfinnie
5,075 Posts
This looks fantastic, and is a great solution for devices without an OSD, like the Monoprice HTP-1, for example.

Is it possible to take the code, and modify it for a different AVP / AVR that has IP Control? Looking at the code, it seems like you would just need to change the following:

Device hostname from "nad_receiver" to whatever is the hostname of the users AVP/AVR.
IP address
The codes following the IP address from 23,10 to something else, unless this is a code applicable to all AVP/AVRs?
This brief example leverages a free library for talking to the NAD AVR. Anything that says AVR or receiver is specific to NAD AVRs and just putting in another receiver IP etc is pretty doomed to fail - though I think in the past some Monoprice gear might have been NAD based, not sure if that is the case anymore? There didn't seem to be any control information on Monoprice's website.

Basically the only requirement is to find "some way" of getting the current volume level from the AVR (and any other information you want to display). You then store the current volume level, and read it back at some interval (I did 0.1s, which should match up with remote control repeat rates more or less). Compare the just read volume level with the stored volume, and if it has changed, make the Radiance display the message and store the new volume level for future comparison.

It took me about 4 hrs to work out how to make this function last night, and most of that was in trying to figure out the NAD library (which had zero documentation) and finding the undocumented code for the audio codec. The Radiance portion is extremely simple... :) Could be a fun little project to learn a bit of Python with.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Out of curiosity, how would the new sharpness feature in the upcoming firmware revision be expected to differ in the finished processing from typical sharpness controls which are already present in projectors and players?

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Guys,

I appreciate all your input on the incoming Lumagen Pro Model 4242 I'll be purchasing this coming week.

Also, I have now heard back from Chad B that's going to be here October, Monday 26th & Tuesday 27th.
He also has answered what I was wanting to know on using or not using the Marantz AV8805 Pre-Amp Processor.
So, I'm all set other than making this an Official-Purchase with Craig Peer this coming week. (y)

Terry

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Guys,

I appreciate all your input on the incoming Lumagen Pro Model 4242 I'll be purchasing this coming week.

Also, I have now heard back from Chad B that's going to be here October, Monday 26th & Tuesday 27th.
He also has answered what I was wanting to know on using or not using the Marantz AV8805 Pre-Amp Processor.
So, I'm all set other than making this an Official-Purchase with Craig Peer this coming week. (y)

Terry
What did he recommend Terry? With regard to the Marantz and it’s position in the chain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
What did he recommend Terry? With regard to the Marantz and it’s position in the chain?

steelman1991 and Others,

Below is that information and what I think guys regarding it.
I don't wish to ever come across on this AVS Internet Site as being rude guys.
But, If this turns-out like what I and other's observed from the Australian fellow Woofer (Paul) Blind-Testing video-processors I'm going to Delete {This} Post !!!

I'm feeling compelled to say the below because of another Dedicated Thread where Multiple Video Processors were recently Blind-Tested.
I'm pretty sure there are those that won't agree with Chad and there are many of you that do things different.
I only mention the above to say I don't question what others do.
They do what is their preferred preferences and that's the way it should be.
My thinking regarding one using any Custom Calibrator is simple see below.
If I know more than that person and in this case Chad B then why am I paying him ???
My only point is some of us have the need to use others for our Home Theater's and or Media areas.
I'm one of those people and therefore I don't really for the most part question what Chad B has to say.
I did talk with him multiple times recently on the Lumagen Pro and found out he goes all the way back to when it was 1st on the market to the general-public.
Which is something like 20-years ................
I think I will get the results that I want from Chad regarding Both Audio & Video and be happy with my HT. 🎥
Do I think that there are other Custom Calibrator's that could possibly do a better job than Chad ???
Maybe so but I am choosing Chad and this will be his 3rd time to do this sort of thing for me.

Chad B,
Use the Marantz.
Having the video conversion (on screen overlay) on is very helpful,
and on Denon and Marantz it does not degrade the video quality at all except on those rare sources that output RGB color space at 8 bit depth.
Most sources are fine, and even on those rare sources that are not I will do what is necessary.
I will make sure running through the Marantz will not degrade the quality.
Terry

·
aka jfinnie
5,075 Posts
But, If this turns-out like what I and other's observed from the Australian fellow Woofer (Paul) Blind-Testing video-processors I'm going to Delete {This} Post !!!
Chill, there's nothing like that level of controversy ever in this thread. :) Folk are mostly just interested to hear the benefit of others experiences...

·
Registered
994 Posts
My Raspberry Pi has a USB serial adapter on it connected to the Lumagen serial port (though you could use the USB port too I believe, but I have that connected to my PC for calibration duties). So direct connection to the Lumagen. I use IP connections to the Receiver (and also to my projector - JVC X7900 - and screen masks controller).

This script was just an example to prove the concept. I'm going to integrate it with the rest of my control script that switches projector modes and deals with screen masking from auto-aspect.

I did have an Arcam prior to the NAD, just never got round to doing it. The lack of volume OSD never really bothered me that much, but actually having got it working nowI might well keep it. I see there are further options to set the colour and blend value of the messages, so I'm going to play with them later, as it is nice to be able to see this info but not have it jump out at you.
ah. but i was going to use the serial for control4 to control it. i guess IR but that's 1 way vs. 2. wonder if IR is good enough for control4? I do have a rasberry pi i'm running pi-hole on, love those things. might be a project i get my 14yr old to do to learn :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
My C4 integrator says it's not possible to combine the MemA-MemD settings on the same UI as the Oppo controls using the Neeo remote. Is that true or do I need to find someone else?
what do you mean? i was about to ge tthe neeo and memA and memB is important since @Kris Deering programmed a memB for bright mode on my projector. are you saying you wanted a hard button on the remote? i thought there are soft buttons you ca program?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Guys,

Terry
he is amazing. I still can't believe I waited so long to do the lumagen + @Kris Deering it literally is night and day

·
aka jfinnie
5,075 Posts
ah. but i was going to use the serial for control4 to control it. i guess IR but that's 1 way vs. 2. wonder if IR is good enough for control4? I do have a rasberry pi i'm running pi-hole on, love those things. might be a project i get my 14yr old to do to learn :)
Well, really all this stuff lives in whatever is the control system; if there is a control4 the strong preference has to be to do it all in there. I mean look at the script - there's nothing to it, it can't be beyond the wit of man... You're better off having just one device trying to get the Pro to do stuff. In my case, everything happens in the Pi.

I personally do it in a Pi as combined with the Harmony it does the job and suits my level of cheapness, and it gives me a little problem to solve in an evening. But it always strikes me if a proper CI control system is being done, that they really should implement the features needed to give the customer a great result.

Of course commercial realities are not all installers are capable of making custom modules, not all pre-built modules expose all functionality, not all control systems have the necessary logic, and not all customers want to spend a programmer hourly rate on custom work...

·
Premium Member
584 Posts
what do you mean? i was about to ge tthe neeo and memA and memB is important since @Kris Deering programmed a memB for bright mode on my projector. are you saying you wanted a hard button on the remote? i thought there are soft buttons you ca program?
Control4 is pretty limited in terms of GUI customization.
That´s one of it´s advantages - chances are very reduced that a terrible techie programmer can screw up the user experince with a awkward GUI.
But the disadvantage is that you can´t combine functionality of several devices into one GUI.
However, there´s the possiblity to program "custom buttons" or "experince buttons" to overcome this limitation a bit. Ask your integrator about these.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
steelman1991 and Others,

Below is that information and what I think guys regarding it.

I'm feeling compelled to say the below because of another Dedicated Thread where Multiple Video Processors were recently Blind-Tested.
I'm pretty sure there are those that won't agree with Chad and there are many of you that do things different.
I only mention the above to say I don't question what others do.
They do what is their preferred preferences and that's the way it should be.
My thinking regarding one using any Custom Calibrator is simple see below.
If I know more than that person and in this case Chad B then why am I paying him ???
My only point is some of us have the need to use others for our Home Theater's and or Media areas.
I'm one of those people and therefore I don't really for the most part question what Chad B has to say.
I did talk with him multiple times recently on the Lumagen Pro and found out he goes all the way back to when it was 1st on the market to the general-public.
Which is something like 20-years ................
I think I will get the results that I want from Chad regarding Both Audio & Video and be happy with my HT.
Do I think that there are other Custom Calibrator's that could possibly do a better job than Chad ???
Maybe so but I am choosing Chad and this will be his 3rd time to do this sort of thing for me.

Terry
No need to second guess Terry. It was a genuine question. I’ve seen that thread too and it’s a car crash.

I asked because I have tried both ways (with both a Marantz and Emotiva RMC-1 and can’t find any difference either way, other than having access to the OSD when letting the processor handle the switching

Thanks.

·
Registered
693 Posts
how are you feeding 480i to the Lumagen? I have a DVDO VP50Pro in the loop to go from composite (Laserdisc) to HDMI first.
It's coming from an Oppo 203 in Source Direct mode, which yields the best results for me. I tried nVidia Shiled with resolution and frame rate matching, but it can't emit 480i, only 480p.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
No need to second guess Terry. It was a genuine question. I’ve seen that thread too and it’s a car crash.

I asked because I have tried both ways (with both a Marantz and Emotiva RMC-1 and can’t find any difference either way, other than having access to the OSD when letting the processor handle the switching

Thanks.

steelman1991,

No-Worries at all on me providing what Chad sent me.
I think some of us are now just a little paranoid after the Catastrophe over on that other dedicated thread on Video Processors that the test was done.
I wish we could simply post with one another in an open truthful fashion without all the additional drama.

Anyway, I'm wanting the on-screen menu's to show on the screen as it makes it so easy and simple to see what one is doing.
Especially for us married guy's that our wives occasionally would like to be able to turn-on the HT when we are not around.

Terry

8841 - 8860 of 11120 Posts