AVS Forum banner

9121 - 9140 of 9597 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Perhaps a good time to change the subject, sorry if this is off topic, but relates to HDR which the Lumagen is great at optimizing on our projector screens.

The iPhone 12 announced today records video in 4K 60hz HDR Dolby Vision ! And AirPlay will support this as well. So you will be able to play your own filmed movie content in all its glory on your 4K HDR projector tone mapped by Lumagen (ex via Airplay to ATV 4K)

Very exciting. Apple has a bit of content in their ads recorded on native iPhone 12 and it’s impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
994 Posts
Given I only have 4 inputs I'd like to use the Arcam 390 to switch video inputs so I can add a 5th. But I was getting a lot of HDMI handshake issues with the picture cutting out every minute or so.

Are there any new settings like Genlock (still dont' know what this is) that might help? I also have a HD Fury Vertex sitting around I can use if that's helpful. This would get my volume back on the screen and the surround codec as well. But I don't want to deal with super slow handshakes. It's already a bit annoying when the framerate of resolution changes and it flashes and I wait 5 seconds or so in darkness. trying to reduce that as much as possible. I have the Nvidia Pro for most of what I watch, native apps on their, netflix, hulu, amazon. use plex for my older movies (mostly 1080p) but find myself using vudu more often now. input 2 is appletv HD as theirs some good shows. 3 is the Oppo. and 4 is the switch. I was about to get the chromecast to try it out, but I guess I can use the oppo video input as my 5th.
Right now I have all devices going to the lumagen, and lumagen to the benq lk990. hdmi audio to the receiver.

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
Perhaps a good time to change the subject, sorry if this is off topic, but relates to HDR which the Lumagen is great at optimizing on our projector screens.

The iPhone 12 announced today records video in 4K 60hz HDR Dolby Vision ! And AirPlay will support this as well. So you will be able to play your own filmed movie content in all its glory on your 4K HDR projector tone mapped by Lumagen (ex via Airplay to ATV 4K)

Very exciting. Apple has a bit of content in their ads recorded on native iPhone 12 and it’s impressive.
That's why I should quit browsing AVS. Until reading the above, I had ZERO interest in the new iPhone. But 4K HDR video would be fun for showing the video in our theater with the Lumagen.

I have to laugh when I read the specs of the new iPhone with up to 256GB of memory. At the risk of giving away my age, when I graduated from college (just prior to the invention of dirt), I went to work for what was then McDonnell Aircraft in St. Louis as a scientific programmer. The computer we used was the most powerful computer on the planet at the time (equalled in power by personal computers of the late 80s !!) That computer had (drum roll please) a massive 150 Kilobytes of memory.

·
Registered
993 Posts
That's why I should quit browsing AVS. Until reading the above, I had ZERO interest in the new iPhone. But 4K HDR video would be fun for showing the video in our theater with the Lumagen.

I have to laugh when I read the specs of the new iPhone with up to 256GB of memory. At the risk of giving away my age, when I graduated from college (just prior to the invention of dirt), I went to work for what was then McDonnell Aircraft in St. Louis as a scientific programmer. The computer we used was the most powerful computer on the planet at the time (equalled in power by personal computers of the late 80s !!) That computer had (drum roll please) a massive 150 Kilobytes of memory.
Yea, I keep looking for the card punch reader on my phone :p, I wonder how many know what those are.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Yea, I keep looking for the card punch reader on my phone :p, I wonder how many know what those are.
I do - my dad had early computers with punch card readers - made by Singer ! :unsure:
This was it - the size of a desk !
SIA-80-16416-000004.jpg

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
It must burn your ass when you have to pick up a fork to eat, as opposed to the fork being placed in your hand by a representative of Oneida...
Or, better yet, like eating at the restaurant ("We Don't Give A Fork") in the British comedy from a few years ago "Crashing" where everyone ate without utensils (using only their hands) in the "native African" style.............:LOL:

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
I do - my dad had early computers with punch card readers - made by Singer ! :unsure:
This was it - the size of a desk !
View attachment 3046443
That's a "toy" ;) . Here is (some of) the image of the computer I was referencing that I worked on for about 5 years. Filled a gigantic room!! The processor in the Lumagen is probably 1000 times or more faster!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
That's a "toy" ;) . Here is (some of) the image of the computer I was referencing that I worked on for about 5 years. Filled a gigantic room!! The processor in the Lumagen is probably 1000 times or more faster!!

View attachment 3046459
Looks just like the cramped computer center at SUNY Binghamton back in the early 70's, where I spent too many hours helping students whose card decks were punched, but the ink ran out on the card punch, and they had the misfortune of dropping the deck, and scrambling all the cards....Humpty Dumpty time, trying to get all back in order, so they could fix coding errors before the next nights run.

·
Premium Member
11,014 Posts
Looks just like the cramped computer center at SUNY Binghamton back in the early 70's, where I spent too many hours helping students whose card decks were punched, but the ink ran out on the card punch, and they had the misfortune of dropping the deck, and scrambling all the cards....Humpty Dumpty time, trying to get all back in order, so they could fix coding errors before the next nights run.
It was my first day on the job at the phone company where I operated 4 sorters, I dropped one of those trays that held about 3000 cards. Not an auspicious "first day on the job" but they eventually like me well enough so I worked there for a few years until graduation.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have a CIH 2.40 setup (no lens but zooming) and I am not sure what the best practice is for 16:9 content?

How would I setup the Lumagen to display 16:9 content inside of the CIH 2.40 screen? Any grave downside in doing so or should I use the lens memory (zoom) for 16:9?

Thanks,
Nima

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
I have a CIH 2.40 setup (no lens but zooming) and I am not sure what the best practice is for 16:9 content?

How would I setup the Lumagen to display 16:9 content inside of the CIH 2.40 screen? Any grave downside in doing so or should I use the lens memory (zoom) for 16:9?

Thanks,
Nima
Check Out:

And also:

I have this setup to Memory C, which I activate when my 16x9 screen is masked to 2.40.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,433 Posts

Thanks,
Nima
start with Tech Tip 16, I’m sure this is as valid on a Lumagen Pro.

from http://www.lumagen.com/docs

Reactions: Nima

·
Registered
598 Posts
Klick on the name or avatar/image of the party to ignore and their profile will display.

In the profile screen, you will see the “Ignore” link to the right of their avatar/image. It’s in blue letters. Press the “Ignore” link and you’re done.
A first time for everything. Done. Thank you!

·
Registered
140 Posts
One of the very problematic short-comings of the Zappiti is that it misses too many of the movies I have on my NAS, even if they are in the proper folder and format. They don't show up as not identified, they just don't show up. I have a client who uses the Zappiti NAS and it does the same thing with it. I have had a couple of days of phone calls with the Zappiti folks in France and they have yet to determine the cause. Unsettling since, with a large collection, there is no easy way to tell which ones it can't process. When it is doing the scan, you can see the titles show up but at the end, it is nowhere to be found!!
You can still do it manually. At least, that's what I did with the not recognized movies... And most of the videos I produced and want to show up in the movie overview aren't in their database yet. ;)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I followed those steps but saw in another post from @jrp that he recommends 2.40 for 4k (my screen ratio). So I changed aspect ratio to 2.40 and also set 2.35 to 2.35 in the sub menu and set shrink to 12.96% top and bottom. I am outputting RGB to my PJ.

Is that correct and is no scaling happening for scope movies?

9121 - 9140 of 9597 Posts