AVS Forum banner

9141 - 9160 of 9271 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Image for reference. Why does it say 1636 for vertical input resolution? Because of the black bars? No scaling happening I hope for 2.35 and 2.40?

Thanks
Nima

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I had no idea you could do this ie. use the Lumagen to move between 16:9 and 2.40 content in a CIH system.

So you zoom your projector to fill 2.40 screen. And then if you switch to 16:9 content, the Lumagen squishes the content to this ratio automatically with auto -AR?

What is the downside of doing this instead of using the projector’s optical zoom? I assume you are losing brightness in 16:9 ? Because with projector zoom the same lumens would be compressed down to a smaller image (16:9). Whereas if the Lumagen does this , it is just mapping the 16:9 source to a smaller part of your imaging panel ? Not sure if I am understanding this process.

·
aka jfinnie
4,448 Posts
I had no idea you could do this ie. use the Lumagen to move between 16:9 and 2.40 content in a CIH system.

So you zoom your projector to fill 2.40 screen. And then if you switch to 16:9 content, the Lumagen squishes the content to this ratio automatically with auto -AR?

What is the downside of doing this instead of using the projector’s optical zoom? I assume you are losing brightness in 16:9 ? Because with projector zoom the same lumens would be compressed down to a smaller image (16:9). Whereas if the Lumagen does this , it is just mapping the 16:9 source to a smaller part of your imaging panel ? Not sure if I am understanding this process.
Do you need more brightness for 16:9 for some reason? It is measured in foot-lamberts, or candelas per metre squared - it's a measure of light per unit area. If you just blank off some areas of the screen the brightness of the remaining active areas is the same.

In general, if you are happy with the pixel density you have at 2.4:1, and it is bright enough, then digitally scaling down the image to fit within the height of the 2.4 image should be fine, and brings the benefit of not having to differently calibrate the light output of the projector (the image would get brighter if you zoomed instead, so to maintain a calibration you should close iris further and probably have another calibration done too!). You also don't need to worry about drift in your lens system from zooming and shifting all the time, and it can be more flexible as it isn't a given that you can shift the image to where you need to when zooming for 16:9. You also get instant ratio switching without motors etc.

The downside is if your 2.4 image wasn't really bright enough or didn't really have enough pixels for you, but you were living with it because it got you the benefit of 2.4, then your image will have those same constraints. Also there is some discussion that the Lumagen's downscaling isn't as good as the upscaling.

Best thing to do is suck it and see.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I followed those steps but saw in another post from @jrp that he recommends 2.40 for 4k (my screen ratio). So I changed aspect ratio to 2.40 and also set 2.35 to 2.35 in the sub menu and set shrink to 12.96% top and bottom. I am outputting RGB to my PJ.

Is that correct and is no scaling happening for scope movies?
I have the older Lumagen, so you may want to specifcally check with @jrp, but that looks OK to me. I look to see the X and Y Scaler = OFF - and I know its fine. I am unsure why it says specifically 1636 for ver res - my 1080p shows 818 when masking to 2.35. SIDE NOTE: - both scalers = ON when auto aspect recognises 2.40 and ver res then shows 778). I usually force 2.35 for my 2.35 screen at this point, and it locks for the duration of the movie.

Likewise - if you use Auto Aspect with a 2.40 screen - you will likely get small bars for 2.35 content, so check Scaling - as you may prefer to lock at 2.40 to ensure Sclaing = OFF

The downside, as Boboff mentioned, is that downscaling is NOT as good as seeing the full pixels when viewing 16/9. My critical viewing is Movies (not compressed Sat signals/sports @16/9) so I am Ok with the convenience and quick switching, as my manual zooming/focus options on my Sony 55 are better left alone. If I have a few 1.85 movies, or a big sports event - I sometimes go back to full 1080P and Zoom/refocus.

BTW - I set up memories so I can quickly switch between Tip 16 and not - I have watched sports in 2.35 (scalers = OFF) but the top/bottom masking missing content. This is because I can't be bothered to zoom/refocus - and in many cases, it doesn't matter.

(I am contemplating a JCV N7 upgrade with Lumagen Pro - hence hanging around here).

Reactions: Nima

·
Premium Member
10,921 Posts
You can still do it manually. At least, that's what I did with the not recognized movies... And most of the videos I produced and want to show up in the movie overview aren't in their database yet. ;)
This is not an issue of the Zappiti not being able to identify/recognize the movie. All of the competitive systems out there suffer from that and provide tools to fix it. I am talking about a movie being on the server, and the Zappiti doesn't process it and label it as unidentified. It just doesn't show up anywhere.

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is not an issue of the Zappiti not being able to identify/recognize the movie. All of the competitive systems out there suffer from that and provide tools to fix it. I am talking about a movie being on the server, and the Zappiti doesn't process it and label it as unidentified. It just doesn't show up anywhere.
Ok, now I see the problem. Strange. Never happened to me. And I even have my personal videos processed...
Did you try renaming the file? Or do you happen to have used "unusual" letters?

·
Registered
136 Posts
did you ever publish this to sell?
Sorry for the delayed response. I am in the process of getting set up with divercentral.io. I have sold direct copies to a few folks and they have been using the control 4 driver for a few months now. If you want to direct purchase send me a PM.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Do you need more brightness for 16:9 for some reason? It is measured in foot-lamberts, or candelas per metre squared - it's a measure of light per unit area. If you just blank off some areas of the screen the brightness of the remaining active areas is the same.

In general, if you are happy with the pixel density you have at 2.4:1, and it is bright enough, then digitally scaling down the image to fit within the height of the 2.4 image should be fine, and brings the benefit of not having to differently calibrate the light output of the projector (the image would get brighter if you zoomed instead, so to maintain a calibration you should close iris further and probably have another calibration done too!). You also don't need to worry about drift in your lens system from zooming and shifting all the time, and it can be more flexible as it isn't a given that you can shift the image to where you need to when zooming for 16:9. You also get instant ratio switching without motors etc.

The downside is if your 2.4 image wasn't really bright enough or didn't really have enough pixels for you, but you were living with it because it got you the benefit of 2.4, then your image will have those same constraints. Also there is some discussion that the Lumagen's downscaling isn't as good as the upscaling.

Best thing to do is suck it and see.
You will still gain brightness optical zooming from 2:40 to 16:9 since the whole panel will be concentrated in the smaller area (same light over small area), no?

Extra brightness always good. If you calibrate 16:9 sdr to fL, you can clamp the iris down more and improve contrast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
aka jfinnie
4,448 Posts
You will still gain brightness optical zooming from 2:40 to 16:9 since the whole panel will be concentrated in the smaller area (same light over small area), no?

Extra brightness always good. If you calibrate 16:9 sdr to fL, you can clamp the iris down more and improve contrast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes you will gain brightness with optical zooming.

If you just zoom and tame the brightness using the iris, you will find both your gamma and colour calibration will be off in whichever setting you didn't do the calibration in. In many JVC projectors with most commonly used setups you might be into a different Autocal memory for the colour correction too, so if you're using that function you may have to set up there correctly.

So for calibrated video nirvana you'll find youself needing a different CMS for the different ARs. And although the setup in the Lumagen is very versatile, I don't believe it actually lets you do this, so you'd have to jerry rig something external to change memories for the different aspects I believe....

·
aka jfinnie
4,448 Posts
On a similar note to above; I recently got a source which does SDR2020 output for 709 content (annoyingly) (hopefully correctly gamut mapped) - the FireTVCube. This is annoying as to date, switching between my different LUTS and projector settings for HDR vs SDR has been done via the Lumagen which allows different LUT setups to be selected for REC709 and BT2020 content. It doesn't allow different LUTs to be auto selected for PQ vs power gamma.

In my case, I have the projector set up differently for HDR and SDR, so a different LUT is needed for each. I have happily been using it up until now like this, with the implicit selection (2020 = HDR, 709 = SDR). But what happens with the SDR2020 is I stay in SDR mode for the projector 9 (as it is SDR), but the Lumagen is loading my HDR LUT (as 2020). Am I missing a trick, or is this just a limitation of how the scheme currently works?

I could jerry rig something external to switch to a different memory bank if the input is SDR2020, but that would be a bit annoying.

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
Yes you will gain brightness with optical zooming.

If you just zoom and tame the brightness using the iris, you will find both your gamma and colour calibration will be off in whichever setting you didn't do the calibration in. In many JVC projectors with most commonly used setups you might be into a different Autocal memory for the colour correction too, so if you're using that function you may have to set up there correctly.

So for calibrated video nirvana you'll find youself needing a different CMS for the different ARs. And although the setup in the Lumagen is very versatile, I don't believe it actually lets you do this, so you'd have to jerry rig something external to change memories for the different aspects I believe....
I had Kris Deering do 4 separate calibrations to do this - 16:9 HDR, 16:9 SDR, 2.35:1 HDR, 2.35:1 SDR. Those are in my RS4500.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Check Out:

And also:

I have this setup to Memory C, which I activate when my 16x9 screen is masked to 2.40.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Wow, I believe you about the Non-Linear stretching but somehow fail to imagine how it works, if it is so good it may be a solution for 2.0 AR videowalls where it would be a lot less stretching involved.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Wow, I believe you about the Non-Linear stretching but somehow fail to imagine how it works, if it is so good it may be a solution for 2.0 AR videowalls where it would be a lot less stretching involved.
100% agreed! It would be great for 2.0 AR.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
100% agreed! It would be great for 2.0 AR.

My two cents 14 foot wide Screen - 2:35 and 2:40 merged is a good thing.
16:9 and 1:85 merged also is a good thing but I have kept them independent.
2.0 and 2.2 - I don't recommend merging as there is quite a difference between the two.

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
My two cents 14 foot wide Screen - 2:35 and 2:40 merged is a good thing.
16:9 and 1:85 merged also is a good thing but I have kept them independent.
2.0 and 2.2 - I don't recommend merging as there is quite a difference between the two.
Well considering that 2.40 is actually 2.39, so 2.35 to 2.39 is .4 difference and 1.78 to 1.85 is .7 difference, I could understand why some would have an issue with merging 2.0 and 2.2 when the different 3-4x's as much as the others!

·
Premium Member
11,518 Posts
Well considering that 2.40 is actually 2.39, so 2.35 to 2.39 is .4 difference and 1.78 to 1.85 is .7 difference, I could understand why some would have an issue with merging 2.0 and 2.2 when the different 3-4x's as much as the others!
Another thing to keep in mind for DCR users, your native aspect is now 2.37 due to the lens, so you are splitting 2.35 and 2.40 perfectly already, so they may as well be the same anyways.

·
Premium Member
10,921 Posts
Ok, now I see the problem. Strange. Never happened to me. And I even have my personal videos processed...
Did you try renaming the file? Or do you happen to have used "unusual" letters?
The movie was easily found and identified by other players, most recently the Shield using Plex - and it is named correctly. And there are a few other titles on which the same thing occurred. We will get it fixed. There is a lot to like about the Zappiti players, but every player I have purchased and used (4 or 5 others) all have some quirks. You just pick the one whose quirks bother you the least and go with it. My Shield/Plex randomly says it can't find the server and I can never determine why. I try a bunch of stuff and it eventually works - but one time it took two or three days to start working again. No clue why!!

·
Premium Member
460 Posts

I doubt that you´ll notice the difference in brightness in a A/B comparison.
Sure, in theory it´s there, but in my experience, there needs to be a lot more difference in light output to make a difference than you get with zooming.

9141 - 9160 of 9271 Posts