AVS Forum banner

9161 - 9180 of 9271 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
The movie was easily found and identified by other players, most recently the Shield using Plex - and it is named correctly. [...] You just pick the one whose quirks bother you the least and go with it. [...]
I guess there's no such thing as a perfect media player. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I guess there's no such thing as a perfect media player. :)
maybe when zappiti release their new range with the new Realtek chip.

my main issue (and many other users) with the zappiti, is the subtitle issue. Sure, if you rip through Mkv you can rip forced subs only, but then this doesn’t always work with titles like Dawn of the planet of the apes.

Hopefully the new chipset will address this and we can rip all subtitles with the player then playing the correct ones.

Sorry for off topic post 😬

·
aka jfinnie
4,448 Posts
my main issue (and many other users) with the zappiti, is the subtitle issue. Sure, if you rip through Mkv you can rip forced subs only, but then this doesn’t always work with titles like Dawn of the planet of the apes.

Hopefully the new chipset will address this and we can rip all subtitles with the player then playing the correct ones.
That's got to surely just be a SW bug. The subs go no-where near the chipset at the stream playback level I'm sure, something in the SW stack assembles the OSD image including the subtitles. Admittedly it is possible that bit of the SW comes from Realtek, so I guess it might be fixed inadvertently, but the chip itself is unlikely to resolve...

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's got to surely just be a SW bug. The subs go no-where near the chipset at the stream playback level I'm sure, something in the SW stack assembles the OSD image including the subtitles. Admittedly it is possible that bit of the SW comes from Realtek, so I guess it might be fixed inadvertently, but the chip itself is unlikely to resolve...
It has been zappiti excuse for a long time, they’re blaming Realtek for it, but they’re not interested in sorting.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was having trouble with DVD menus (coming from DVD ISOs) not being displayed properly. The mouse-over state was misplaced somehow, so you wouldn't know what you were actually selecting.
Zappiti support said this was a Realtek sw bug they couldn't do anything about.
So let's hope for the next chipset which will feature new bugs for sure. :)

·
Premium Member
3,527 Posts

FW 100220
- Posted 101620

Fix for some Pro's getting a green/purple screen with some sources at power on (seen here on a 4244 with Nvidia Shield at 4k60).
Adds global disable/enable for Darbee and Sharpness into menu under Global: Video: Features .
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware.

·
Registered
29,704 Posts

FW 100220
- Posted 101620

Fix for some Pro's getting a green/purple screen with some sources at power on (seen here on a 4244 with Nvidia Shield at 4k60).
Adds global disable/enable for Darbee and Sharpness into menu under Global: Video: Features .
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com .
Great, because I was getting this. :)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
So is 12.96% shrink correct for 2.35 and 2.40?
Just change the value and see the effects on the screen. These values are just Masking out the ”image” from spilling onto your frame.

Reactions: Nima

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
I had Kris Deering do 4 separate calibrations to do this - 16:9 HDR, 16:9 SDR, 2.35:1 HDR, 2.35:1 SDR. Those are in my RS4500.
Is that primarily because you have 2 screens? Are they the same material? Kris just did 2 for my setup (HDR, SDR) as I have a 16:9 screen and use top masking for 2.35 material.

·
Registered
738 Posts

FW 100220
- Posted 101620

Have this issue with K-scape twice so good this will hope resolve the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I watched Prometheus in 4K UHD from K Escape - the picture with latest Lumagen Firmware was stunning.
Read the 4K UHD Disc review on doblu.com and the reviewer was complaining about ringing and banding etc... but looks like the Lumagen Magic removed all the anomalies in my setup.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
I've just placed an order for my second Lumagen! This time not for my Sony 995 projector. This one for a Sony Bravia 75" tv. It has such a great view, I find it hard to watch my projector any more... sad.

It also has such a great set of apps built-in: from Netflix to Tidal. Is there a way to pass the built-in video from the tv through the Lumagen? I suspect not, and it's a shame! It means I'll revert to an external Apple TV or another streamer instead of the very convenient built-in apps (one click on the Bravia remote, and I'm in Netflix, and it also has a supposedly Netflix calibrated mode for the Bravia.

I'm getting the second Lumagen because I guess I'm addicted to it, and as much as it's convenient to use the built-in apps, and the image quality is stunning, I want to calibrate it via Lumagen as well.

p.s. I hope the Sony GTZ380 will bring back to the home theater the same wow effect I've had from the Sony OLED. I thought I've had the most amazing PQ in it, that is - until the OLED got in place.

Reactions: telem

·
Premium Member
10,921 Posts
I've just placed an order for my second Lumagen! This time not for my Sony 995 projector. This one for a Sony Bravia 75" tv. It has such a great view, I find it hard to watch my projector any more... sad.
Interesting. Certainly the brightness and crispness of the image on a flat panel TV can be addictive, but I am way more than willing to give up a bit of that for the immersiveness provided the much larger screen size possible from a projection system. In fact, not even close.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Interesting. Certainly the brightness and crispness of the image on a flat panel TV can be addictive, but I am way more than willing to give up a bit of that for the immersiveness provided the much larger screen size possible from a projection system. In fact, not even close.
It's in my bedroom, so the 75" feels like 150" in terms of how close I am to it. My first encounter with a high-end OLED, and I'm just blown away. I'm just afraid all the built-in apps are invisible to Lumagen, and I'll be sorry to give up on the ease of use of them. Sony really did an outstanding job there.

·
Registered
691 Posts

It also has such a great set of apps built-in: from Netflix to Tidal. Is there a way to pass the built-in video from the tv through the Lumagen? I suspect not, and it's a shame! It means I'll revert to an external Apple TV or another streamer instead of the very convenient built-in apps (one click on the Bravia remote, and I'm in Netflix, and it also has a supposedly Netflix calibrated mode for the Bravia.

I'm getting the second Lumagen because I guess I'm addicted to it, and as much as it's convenient to use the built-in apps, and the image quality is stunning, I want to calibrate it via Lumagen as well.

p.s. I hope the Sony GTZ380 will bring back to the home theater the same wow effect I've had from the Sony OLED. I thought I've had the most amazing PQ in it, that is - until the OLED got in place.
Which Sony model and did you mean 77"? I also just got an OLED, the LG 77 CX. After the fact I wondered how I would have liked the Sony because I read it handles motion a little better and I watch a lot of sports. I can find no fault with motion handling on the LG so no buyers remorse. I'm watching Louisville vs. Notre Dame in 4K UHD on my CX as I type and it looks amazing.

I didn't consider adding another Radiance Pro for my OLED but had asked how it would work. I was told there are only a few benefits and there could be more disadvantages. Dolby Vision is one that stands out. I don't mean to question your decision and am a big Lumagen fan myself.

I have had various models of Lumagen processors in my Theater for many years and currently use a Lumagen Radiance Pro with my JVC projector in my basement theater. As good as OLED is, for new Blu-Ray movies I like the Theaters more immersive experience.

The link below mentions similar thoughts; don't mind the pre-view, the new forum is odd.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Which Sony model and did you mean 77"? I also just got an OLED, the LG 77 CX. After the fact I wondered how I would have liked the Sony because I read it handles motion a little better and I watch a lot of sports. I can find no fault with motion handling on the LG so no buyers remorse. I'm watching Louisville vs. Notre Dame in 4K UHD on my CX as I type and it looks amazing.

I didn't consider adding another Radiance Pro for my OLED but had asked how it would work. I was told there are only a few benefits and there could be more disadvantages. Dolby Vision is one that stands out. I don't mean to question your decision and am a big Lumagen fan myself.

I have had various models of Lumagen processors in my Theater for many years and currently use a Lumagen Radiance Pro with my JVC projector in my basement theater. As good as OLED is, for new Blu-Ray movies I like the Theaters more immersive experience.

The link below mentions similar thoughts; don't mind the pre-view, the new forum is odd.

Thanks good points! This model: Sony A9G / AG9 Master Series OLED review

·
Registered
18,634 Posts
Is that primarily because you have 2 screens? Are they the same material? Kris just did 2 for my setup (HDR, SDR) as I have a 16:9 screen and use top masking for 2.35 material.
2 screens, 2 different materials, and it takes less time to remove the lens than pull a wine cork in my setup.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
This exactly how I feel, and why I have chosen a 144” screen, Lumagen Radiance Pro, and NX7.

9161 - 9180 of 9271 Posts