AVS Forum banner

9261 - 9280 of 9596 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey,

Quick question before I contact Lumagen support. I have an Xbox one X and I’ve set it to disable HDR since it seems to be the better option than tone mapping HDR back to SDR.

However, there is an issue with RGB range. My projector is set to auto (options being auto, limited and full). For movies via my other sources I believe it needs to be limited, which I think is what’s happening. With the consoles though, I want the full range, problem is the projector doesn’t switch and stays on limited unless I specifically select full.

I wondered if this was a flag that is sent via HDMI that isn’t being sent or if it’s possible to force it for a particular input?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Gary

You assign a new STYLE setting to that input and memory and set it's output to full range RGB. If you email me youe config i can do it for you. Just let me know input used for XBOX

·
aka jfinnie
4,528 Posts
I have "sticky aspect override" enabled already, which I think is a must. The problem is neither of the two aspect ratios it oscillates between is satisfactory. One chops off the bottom of the subtitles, the other makes the image very small. What would be cool is if they could crop the black area just below the subtitles. I'm guessing that's pretty challenging but it would help in other situations too. Some TV channels have the annoying habit of sticking their logo at the bottom of the image but not within, which again fools the auto-aspect algo. See attached picture.

View attachment 3049509
If you set your zoom steps to the smallest setting, when watching such a title you can set to the slightly too small ratio and then zoom up a click or two, that might get you a more appropriate sized image between ratios.

You could also configure a memory to have the aspect / image positioning configured slightly differently. This would allow you to zoom and offset slightly and it would happen automatically.

Unfortunately pretty much anything you do with respect to this kind of effectively broken content is going to involve some user interaction as I see it I'm sure you can see the problem here is with the content and not the processor.

When you consider your examples, the time horizons involved are huge, so there are at least two issues:
1) there isn't a right answer (as some users might want to see the subtitles, some might want it cropped hard to the border video frame)
2) the more special cases you deal with the more broken things may behave elsewhere.

There are ways to configure the processor to achieve what you're trying to do, they're just a bit more effort.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Has Lumagen ever provided frame interpolation (equivalent of JVC's Clear Motion Drive [C.M.D.]) or other "fix" for motion blur as an option in video output?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Has Lumagen ever provided frame interpolation (equivalent of JVC's Clear Motion Drive [C.M.D.]) or other "fix" for motion blur as an option in video output?
No

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Thanks. Question: doesn't frame interpolation/buffering fall within the defined parameters of video rendering? Why should that function be relegated to the projector/display?

·
aka jfinnie
4,528 Posts
I don't think it has any place in external processor. The panel drive electronics in the display often have access to the panels in a much more intimate way, so that makes more sense for that to be implemented at the display. Many panels are running at >60Hz and HDMI for the most part doesn't have access to these native rates (or at least the input electronics in the displays prevent access, either due to choice or bandwidth limitations).

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have done that but I would like to understand what it does.

Does it report back the delay in this case of 44ms to my blu rayer player? Which in return will adjust audio out on the blu ray players second HDMI port (audio only) according to this delay?
As of my understanding, the Radiance itself corrects the delay here. But I'm not into any details here. Maybe Jim can shed some light?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would like to see motion-compensated frame interpolation 120 fps, for videowalls and rgb laser projectors.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
A question for @jrp: There's been fanfare regarding the upcoming FPGA based Darbee processing for 4K/UHD content (in partnership with Pixelgen Design). "Pixelgen Design has partnered with DarbeeVision, developer of acclaimed video processing technology DARBEE Visual Presence (DVP™), to develop the industry’s first standalone 4K video processing solution with embedded 4K DVP technology utilizing Intel FPGAs." The Darbee Vision website currently shows Lumagen as being an OEM partner. Is there any possibility that Lumagen will add this capability to the Radiance Pro once it has been released as a stand alone product?

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
I'm wondering which Lumagen Radiance Pro product I would need.

Current setup:
JVC NX9 with Panamorph DCR Anamorphic Lens <-Marantz SR7010 AVR <-Tivo box + Apple TV 4K + PC running MadVR/Kodi + Xbox Series X

So 4 HDMI devices.

Also, by introducing the Lumagen Radiance Pro - what performance and/or quality increases can I expect from each source signal?

Probably should also add that all my source files are high bitrate mkv based (not disc based), where I currently play them via the madVR PC.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
A question for @jrp: There's been fanfare regarding the upcoming FPGA based Darbee processing for 4K/UHD content (in partnership with Pixelgen Design). "Pixelgen Design has partnered with DarbeeVision, developer of acclaimed video processing technology DARBEE Visual Presence (DVP™), to develop the industry’s first standalone 4K video processing solution with embedded 4K DVP technology utilizing Intel FPGAs." The Darbee Vision website currently shows Lumagen as being an OEM partner. Is there any possibility that Lumagen will add this capability to the Radiance Pro once it has been released as a stand alone product?

VERY interested in this as well.... :)

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
VERY interested in this as well.... :)
I can’t see them charging Lumagen THAT much to license it ! After all, there entire box is $499, so one one expect licensing to be a fraction of that.

But as Kris Deering mentioned on another thread , the memory capacity of the current Lumagen may be an issue for this type of 4K processing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
.NET Solution Architect
968 Posts
Hi Jim,
Just wanted to get some feedback on your new sharpness feature. I absolutely love it in 4k it absolutely brings in more detail to the picture and doesn't add any type of artefacts, however on 1080p content depending on the content sometimes it adds grain artefacts however this is easily controlled , I prefer watching around 4-5 with high sensitivity for 4k and 0-2 high sensitivity for 1080p content. It no doubt brings more details into the picture and it looks just stunning.
Lumagen Pro with Sony vw760es keep up the good work. Thank you

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
.NET Solution Architect
968 Posts
Hi Jim,
Just wanted to get some feedback on your new sharpness feature. I absolutely love it in 4k it absolutely brings in more detail to the picture and doesn't add any type of artefacts, however on 1080p content depending on the content sometimes it adds grain artefacts however this is easily controlled , I prefer watching around 4-5 with high sensitivity for 4k and 0-2 high sensitivity for 1080p content. It no doubt brings more details into the picture and it looks just stunning.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
I watched Prometheus in 4K UHD from K Escape - the picture with latest Lumagen Firmware was stunning.
Read the 4K UHD Disc review on doblu.com and the reviewer was complaining about ringing and banding etc... but looks like the Lumagen Magic removed all the anomalies in my setup.
Also watched this K 4K title. Stunning is the right description!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
My JS-2 Linear PSU for my Lumagen from "Up-Tone Audio" arrived today........ 😁

Only 5 days transit time from US to Aus.... :)

Attachments

·
aka jfinnie
4,528 Posts
Hi Jim,

Not sure what camera you took these with, but they don't do it any favours when looking at a photo on a decent size monitor (I'm assuming it is the camera, can't believe you'd have the NR up so high in the PJ!). There is some ridiculous level of noise reduction going on; it's so bad the first image actually looks like it has been put through one of those fake oil painting filters!

·
.NET Solution Architect
968 Posts
Not sure what camera you took these with, but they don't do it any favours when looking at a photo on a decent size monitor (I'm assuming it is the camera, can't believe you'd have the NR up so high in the PJ!). There is some ridiculous level of noise reduction going on; it's so bad the first image actually looks like it has been put through one of those fake oil painting filters!
I agree not best camera it's the one plus phone so wouldn't rely on those images, shouldn't have provided them.

9261 - 9280 of 9596 Posts