AVS Forum banner

10141 - 10160 of 11120 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
For anyone who watches sports and has a Lumagen is it capable of putting a couple different sources on a screen for multigame viewing? For example can your Apple TV stream a game on one half of the screen while the Cable box is feeding another game for the other half of the screen? The best I’ve seen of this is ESPN Multicast through the latest Apple TV but of course it only splits games that are being shown on the ESPN family of network as all the data is coming from the ESPN app on the Apple TV. Games shown on Fox/NBC etc. can’t be shared with the ESPN screen. This isn’t picture in picture, it’s multisource split viewing.
Isn't the planned PIP/POP something that would address this?

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes, I invested quite a bit time in this tool.
It is free, but no freeware. Sorry, I'm not going to publish the sources.
That looks rad! Any advice on initializing the com channel? Do you change the speed on initial connect or always keep the default settings? Do you keep it open the whole time or open/close it for each interaction? I'm curious, because it looks like the RadiancePro will emit unprompted messages. Wondering how you parse the responses when those occur. Any nuggets of wisdom your willing to share are much appreciated?

Pretty please....

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
This is why we want PIP/POP. You can also watch sports while playing Xbox. Not complaining as we have received some high priority enhancements, but it’s finally time....

·
Registered
581 Posts
This is why we want PIP/POP. You can also watch sports while playing Xbox. Not complaining as we have received some high priority enhancements, but it’s finally time....
Yeah I think I'm about to purchase a Lumagen and this would be a big variable on which one I choose. As I understand it only the 4444 and above will have the PIP/POP feature so whether or not it will be able to allow me to watch multiple inputs split screen is on my need to know list before I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
447 Posts
That looks rad! Any advice on initializing the com channel? Do you change the speed on initial connect or always keep the default settings? Do you keep it open the whole time or open/close it for each interaction? I'm curious, because it looks like the RadiancePro will emit unprompted messages. Wondering how you parse the responses when those occur. Any nuggets of wisdom your willing to share are much appreciated?

Pretty please....
I initially connect with 9600 Baud and keep the connection open. That is fast enough for the 'usual' commands. For importing and exporting the CMS, I change the speed to 230k Baud.
Yes, the Radiance can send unprompted messages, but I haven't activated them (yet).

Reactions: bjorg

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I initially connect with 9600 Baud and keep the connection open. That is fast enough for the 'usual' commands. For importing and exporting the CMS, I change the speed to 230k Baud.
Yes, the Radiance can send unprompted messages, but I haven't activated them (yet).
When activated , what unprompted messages does it report ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Yeah I think I'm about to purchase a Lumagen and this would be a big variable on which one I choose. As I understand it only the 4444 and above will have the PIP/POP feature so whether or not it will be able to allow me to watch multiple inputs split screen is on my need to know list before I pull the trigger.
I had this feature with my previous Lumagen and didn’t even think about getting a unit that didn’t offer. We all have been patient and can’t complain because of the amazing things that have been added. But, bring PIP/POP on in 2021! A feature which is impossible with the competition. SJ

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

I think changing the gamma would require the use of another user mode in the display, unless this can be somehow be accomplished in the Radiance Pro?

Thank you.

Mark
If you want a Gamma of 2.6, if you have Gamma = 2.4 in the projector you can set the CMS1->Gamma_factor to 2.6/2.4 = 1.08. Do this before you calibrate the 1D LUT and check your Black Level after this change.

Alternately you can target a Gamma of 2.6 in the 1D LUT calibration.

·
aka jfinnie
5,075 Posts
Would this be useful to tell a control system what the new aspect ratio is (if auto AR detection is on)?
Yes, the status updates includes both the input and output AR, which allows you to drive masks if you wish. You also get a lot of other info on the status update, such as whether the source is HDR or not.

I use a simple script on a raspberry Pi as a "control system" to receive these updates, and control both my projector user modes and my electric screen masks based on the updates. Works great. However if you're using pre-packed drivers for a "real" control system you might or might not have access to enough levers to be able to implement - I'm not sure of the completeness of those drivers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just a shortie, since I have do not use my AVR anymore to passthrough the video. Output 1 to receiver and output 2 to Projector. I also brought in a computer monitor to be able to setup and chnage in the AVR if needed -unfortutnately that didnt work with "B" for Video and Aufio on output 1 and 2, So what I did was to restrict to "A" on output 1 and "V" on output 2.

Is that the "right" strategy and handling you think? SInce I dont wanna invest in a 4k monitor I thiught that limit the output 1 to "audio" was the right thing to do and abviously it was (1080i/60). Question: will I hinder anything or is it the right thing to do to restrict 1 to only A and 2 to V?

Happy new year folks :)

·
Registered
872 Posts
Thanks for the information, Jim. I am definitely willing to try using SDR2020 for both SDR and HDR on my JVC RS540. The only question I had about your recommendation is the option of changing SDR gamma from 2.4 to 2.6 if I find the image too bright.

I think changing the gamma would require the use of another user mode in the display, unless this can be somehow be accomplished in the Radiance Pro?

Thank you.

Mark
I’m also interested in this approach for my JVC RS640. I tire of the frequent profile changes on the 640 and based on other reports am concerned about iris longevity. I initially thought I would simply alter White Level to decrease brightness for SDR sources but was unaware of the adverse effects on contrast and grayscale dE.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
Yes, the status updates includes both the input and output AR, which allows you to drive masks if you wish. You also get a lot of other info on the status update, such as whether the source is HDR or not.

I use a simple script on a raspberry Pi as a "control system" to receive these updates, and control both my projector user modes and my electric screen masks based on the updates. Works great. However if you're using pre-packed drivers for a "real" control system you might or might not have access to enough levers to be able to implement - I'm not sure of the completeness of those drivers.
Any chance to see those scripts? I'm curious how to distinguish between responses to commands vs. unsolicited messages.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

How does it behave on a multi aspect ratio film? Do you get mask changes in the middle of the film or does the Lumagen stick to the beginning ratio? Maybe it depends on what the source is sending?

I have a CIH setup and I’m wondering what Christopher Nolan films will do. I’m fine regardless as long as it’s viewable (I don’t want a part looking stretched for example), whether the mask moves or not, whether the non-2.35:1 gets pillarboxed, it’s better than getting a stretch.

·
Premium Member
11,771 Posts
How does it behave on a multi aspect ratio film? Do you get mask changes in the middle of the film or does the Lumagen stick to the beginning ratio? Maybe it depends on what the source is sending?

I have a CIH setup and I’m wondering what Christopher Nolan films will do. I’m fine regardless as long as it’s viewable (I don’t want a part looking stretched for example), whether the mask moves or not, whether the non-2.35:1 gets pillarboxed, it’s better than getting a stretch.
You would just engage the sticky aspect of your choice when the movie started. So let's say your watching WW84 and you want it to be scope the whole time. When the movie starts (if sticky is setup properly), you just press the scope button on the remote and it will stay in scope through the whole movie. When the movie stops the Lumagen will see a change in the HDMI signal and go back to being in Auto. Easy Peasy

·
aka jfinnie
5,075 Posts

If you leave autoaspect fully engaged then yes, you do get aspect changes mid film (after all, that's what auto aspect is supposed to do!), and they don't work great mid-movie as they're usually slightly delayed vs the content (due to the Lumagen making sure the AR really changed). So you'd want to avoid them.

For those titles, you just have sticky enabled in your aspect settings (which you should have) and override it to 2.4:1 once the movie starts if you have a CIH screen, or your choice of 2.4:1 or 16:9 if you have a 16:9 / or CIW electric top / bottom mask screen.

·
aka jfinnie
5,075 Posts
Any chance to see those scripts? I'm curious how to distinguish between responses to commands vs. unsolicited messages.
There's a very basic aspect one here that controlled my screen controller here:
You just parse the serial line coming back and branch based on the first part of the line.
I recall I looked for the "!" to find the start of a "command", then matched the string up to then next "," and then dumped all the parameters.
It may be possible for this to be broken by some response type, but it seems to have been robust from what I can see over the course of a couple of years or so.

I've extended it in recent time to do control of the projector user mode modes based on SDR vs HDR, and more recently I even added an OSD from my NAD AVR volume level / surround mode. But that script has evolved into a nasty hackland... It works but it's a victim of being abused by me late at night (after a couple of beers usually...)

Hidden in a spoiler to protect the innocent! Note I had to modify the JVC library to make it work properly for setting user modes I recall, if you need it I can probably dig it out.
Python:
print ("Aspect script running")
rakoip = "192.168.10.231"
nadip = "192.168.10.173"

volume="NA"
codec="NA"
mode="None"
channels="NA"
rate="NA"
display = False
mute="NA"

screencommands = {
        "178": "3",
        "185": "4",
        "200": "5",
        "220": "2",
        "235": "6",
        "240": "1",
        }

rakocommand = rakoip + "/rako.cgi?room=10&ch=0&com="
print ("import serial")
import serial
print ("import urllib.request")
import urllib.request
print ("import datetime")
import datetime
print ("import time")
import time
print ("import jvc")
from jvc_command import(JVCCommand, Command, PictureMode)
print ("import thread")
import _thread
print ("import telnetlib")
import telnetlib

def checkNAD ():
    global volume
    global codec
    global mode
    global channels
    global rate
    global display
    global mute
    tn = telnetlib.Telnet(nadip)
    tn.write (b'Main.Volume=?\n')
    tn.write (b'Main.Audio.CODEC=\n')
    tn.write (b'Main.ListeningMode=\n')
    tn.write (b'Main.Audio.Channels=\n')
    tn.write (b'Main.Audio.Rate=\n')
    tn.write (b'Main.Mute=?\n')
    while True:
        line=(tn.read_until(b'\n')).decode("utf-8").strip()
#        print ("Stripped telnet line: "+line)
        command=line.partition('=')[0]
        value=line.partition('=')[2]
        print ("NAD command= "+command + "  value= " +value)
        if command == "Main.Mute":
            if value != mute:
                mute = value
                display = True
        if command == "Main.Volume":
            if value != volume:
                volume = value
                display = True
        if command=="Main.Audio.Channels":
            channels=value
        if command=="Main.Audio.CODEC":
            codec=value
        if command=="Main.ListeningMode":
            if value != mode:
#                display = True
                mode=value
        if command=="Main.Audio.Rate":
            rate=value

def isNotBlank (myString):
    if myString and myString.strip():
        #myString is not None AND myString is not empty or blank
        return True
    #myString is None OR myString is empty or blank
    return False

def setHDR (HDR):
    retries=15
    while retries >0:
        retry = 0
        retries = retries -1
        try:
            with JVCCommand() as jvc:
                if HDR == "0":
                    print ("JVC Set SDR")
                    user_mode = jvc.set(Command.PictureMode,PictureMode.User1)
                else:
                    print ("JVC Set HDR")
                    user_mode = jvc.set(Command.PictureMode,PictureMode.User2)
#                               jvc.close()
        except Exception as E:
            print ("JVC exception:",E," retries remaining:",retries)
            retry = 1
        if retry == 0:
            retries = 0
        time.sleep (1)

ser = serial.Serial('/dev/ttyUSB0',9600,timeout=0.1 )  # open serial port
#set OSD colours
#osdStr='ZY4180000000\r\n'
#ser.write(bytes(osdStr,'ascii'))
#osdStr='ZY4181FFFFFF\r\n'
#osdStr='ZY4182000004\r\n'

_thread.start_new_thread (checkNAD,())

prevHDR = ""

while True:
    time.sleep(0.1)
    line = None
    line = ser.readline()
    if len(line)!=0:
        line = str (line)
        print ("Serial line: " + line)
    command = ""
    arguments = ""
    foundcmd = False
    endcmd = False
    for char in line:
        if endcmd:
            arguments = arguments + char
        if foundcmd and not endcmd:
            if char not in ',':
                command = command + char
            else:
                endcmd = True
        if not foundcmd:
            if char in '!':
                foundcmd = True
#       print ("Lumagen command: " + command)
#       print "Lumagen arguments: " + arguments
    if command == "I22":
        #set OSD colours
#        osdStr='ZY4180000000\n'
#        ser.write(bytes(osdStr,'ascii'))
#        osdStr='ZY4181FFFFFF\n'
#        osdStr='ZY4182000004\n'
#               print ("found v2 status report")
#        osdStr='ZY520A\n'
        osdStr='ZQO01\n'
        ser.write(bytes(osdStr,'ascii'))

aspect = ""
        HDR = ""
        argnum = 7
        currentarg = 1
        argument = ""
        for char in arguments:
            if char not in ',' and currentarg == argnum:
                argument = argument + char
            if char in ',':
                currentarg = currentarg + 1
        aspect = argument
        argnum = 17
        currentarg = 1
        argument = ""
        for char in arguments:
            if char not in ',' and currentarg == argnum:
                argument = argument + char
            if char in ',':
                currentarg = currentarg + 1
        HDR = argument
        currentDT = datetime.datetime.now()
        printDT = (currentDT.strftime("%Y-%m-%d %H:%M:%S"))
        print (printDT + " Aspect: " + aspect + " HDR: " + HDR)

if screencommands.get (aspect):
            url = "http://" + rakocommand + screencommands.get (aspect)
#               print ("URL to get: " + url)
            try:
                with urllib.request.urlopen (url) as response:
                    contents = response.read()
            except:
                print ("Error accessing screen controller")

if HDR != prevHDR:
            prevHDR = HDR
#                       setHDR (HDR)
            _thread.start_new_thread (setHDR,(HDR,))
#                       time.sleep (15)

time.sleep (0.1)
    if display == True:
        display = False
        if mute == "On":
            ostring = "[MUTE]"
        else:
            ostring = volume
        ostring = ostring + " " + codec
        if channels != "Object":
            ostring = ostring + "(" + channels + ")"
        ostring = ostring.center (30)
        if mode != "None":
            ostring = ostring + mode.center(30) + "\n"
        else:
            ostring = ostring + "\n"
        ostring = "ZT1" + ostring
        ser.write(bytes(ostring,'ascii'))

·
Registered
346 Posts
What would be better image quality?

4k streamed or 1080p upscaled with the lumagen?

I’m watching avengers age of ultron on Apple TV 4K but own the 1080 disc. Which would yield the better pic.
Probably 4K streamed. Just ensure your ATV is set to 4K SDR, not 4K HDR. You will still see HDR content in HDR.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks for the information, Jim. I am definitely willing to try using SDR2020 for both SDR and HDR on my JVC RS540. The only question I had about your recommendation is the option of changing SDR gamma from 2.4 to 2.6 if I find the image too bright.

Thank you.

Mark
Just change the Gamma on your projector. That’s what I did.
Gamma is always fine tuned by eye, as it depends on your screen, room darkness, etc. 2.4 is a suggestion. You may find that 2.2 or 2.6 work better in your room.

10141 - 10160 of 11120 Posts