AVS Forum banner

10641 - 10660 of 11518 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have a Ruipro in my master bedroom that works for the most part but occasionally will go into a dropout/resound loop and I have to restart everything to get it to stop. Having seen other active cables like the Tributaries UHDV and the supposedly 48gbit Bullet Train cables, they have power injectors via USB port, which makes me wonder if part of the occasional Ruipro issues have to do with some devices not always providing enough HDMI power for the active cables. Then again maybe I just have a bad cable or device somewhere in the loop.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi, does someone here was has problem with overheating? Yesterday I configured Lumagen in my friend's audio showroom with JVC N7 and I found that his unit was incredibly overheating. At 109 Celsius it reported a red message to contact the dealer or manufacturer. So we tested another same unit that I had there for his customer and there was no problem. Maybe it's a fan or some faulty FPPA. I immediately wrote to the seller about the problem, so I'm waiting for a response. Any help is
welcomed. :)

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-23 at 18.14.10.jpeg

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hi, does someone here was has problem with overheating? Yesterday I configured Lumagen in my friend's audio showroom with JVC N7 and I found that his unit was incredibly overheating. At 109 Celsius it reported a red message to contact the dealer or manufacturer. So we tested another same unit that I had there for his customer and there was no problem. Maybe it's a fan or some faulty FPPA. I immediately wrote to the seller about the problem, so I'm waiting for a response. Any help is
welcomed. :)
Either the fan is defective, or it is possible the correct fan mode was not set when we built the unit.

Please email sales at lumagen.com or call us at 503-574-2211. We should be able to get this sorted.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Lumagen, Inc. is excited to announce the latest addition to the Radiance Pro family of 4k video processors, the Radiance Pro 5348. The Radiance Pro 5348 takes the ultimate video processor to the next level by minimizing output-jitter and electrical noise. The Radiance Pro 5348 has ten 18 GHz inputs, two 18 GHz outputs, and one audio-only output, in a 1U case. This is a fixed configuration.

Rather than go into details here, I have written a white-paper on the new Radiance Pro 5348 and it is attached to this post.

I am sure there will be questions, but I tried to cover the most likely ones in the FAQ in this introduction paper. Please feel free to post questions, or email them to support at Lumagen (.com).

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Lumagen, Inc. is excited to announce the latest addition to the Radiance Pro family of 4k video processors, the Radiance Pro 5348.
Cool! Will there be an upgrade path, or is it more of a "trade in" option?
Prize tag?

·
aka jfinnie
5,220 Posts
Lumagen, Inc. is excited to announce the latest addition to the Radiance Pro family of 4k video processors, the Radiance Pro 5348. The Radiance Pro 5348 takes the ultimate video processor to the next level by minimizing output-jitter and electrical noise. The Radiance Pro 5348 has ten 18 GHz inputs, two 18 GHz outputs, and one audio-only output, in a 1U case. This is a fixed configuration.

Rather than go into details here, I have written a white-paper on the new Radiance Pro 5348 and it is attached to this post.

I am sure there will be questions, but I tried to cover the most likely ones in the FAQ in this introduction paper. Please feel free to post questions, or email them to support at Lumagen (.com).
Congrats on the new launch! Looks like a great product. Look forward to hearing about the new genlock stuff in the fullness of time if it is fruitful. Nice having 5 discrete HDMI chips for fastest possible switching for 5 sources, interesting to see the extensive use of the canned SMPSU modules.

Given the same FPGA device, and that those of us with 42xx units can never use PIP (and very likely aren't using keystone) - might you consider to also offer paid upgrade to whatever extra functions are to be made available in that different FPGA load?

You mentioned better precision being something that might use that FPGA gate space - is that over and above the currently discussed extra precision that was mooted on the current units as a coming development?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
On the 5348 front i've had mine here for a while and have been pretty amazed at the improvement in audio quality in my very basic office system. I had to put a 4242 unit in to the system to test a couple days ago and i forgot i'd taken the 5348 out and i was wondering why the sound seemed to have gone "woolly"...then i spotted the 5348 on the shelf and it made sense....

·
Registered
696 Posts
On the 5348 front i've had mine here for a while and have been pretty amazed at the improvement in audio quality in my very basic office system. I had to put a 4242 unit in to the system to test a couple days ago and i forgot i'd taken the 5348 out and i was wondering why the sound seemed to have gone "woolly"...then i spotted the 5348 on the shelf and it made sense....
Is it more like the 5348 making the sound better, or the 4242 making the sound worse? I mean how does it sound straight from the source?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
(y)(y)

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Is it more like the 5348 making the sound better, or the 4242 making the sound worse? I mean how does it sound straight from the source?
The 5348 makes the sound better. I get increased dynamics, i think through a lowering of noise floor. This makes instrumentation and voices clearer and easier to follow. I was honestly not expecting it in this system.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
We get comments on a fairly regular basis that using the 424X and 444X outputs for audio to the audio processor makes the sound better than direct from sources to the audio processor (as mentioned in the white paper on the 5348). This is due to the jitter being lower for the 4XXX output than the sources, and often significantly lower.

The Radiance Pro 5348 takes this quality advantage of running audio through the 4XXX units, and significantly increases it versus sources directly connected to the audio processor.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Congrats on the new launch! Looks like a great product. Look forward to hearing about the new genlock stuff in the fullness of time if it is fruitful. Nice having 5 discrete HDMI chips for fastest possible switching for 5 sources, interesting to see the extensive use of the canned SMPSU modules.

Given the same FPGA device, and that those of us with 42xx units can never use PIP (and very likely aren't using keystone) - might you consider to also offer paid upgrade to whatever extra functions are to be made available in that different FPGA load?

You mentioned better precision being something that might use that FPGA gate space - is that over and above the currently discussed extra precision that was mooted on the current units as a coming development?
Thanks for the kind words. I am personally excited having the 5348 now. Honestly, a big part of this is my own personal enjoyment listening to some pretty awesome audio through the 5348 and the Trinnov Altitude16 in the Lumagen Demo Theater. I have started to buy more concert videos for our Strato and have been listening to a lot more music of late, compared to before the 5348.

FYI: The "cans" you see are Laird Technologies Faraday cages placed over the same DC-to-DC switchers used in the 4XXX series. I prefer DC-DC regulators be "on-board" rather than in a hybrid module. The Laird Faraday cages can reduce radiated EMI from the DC-DC switchers by over 60 dB. While EMI is not directly correlated to the output jitter, I believe reducing EMI is part of the "lower jitter" equation, and also help lower the electrical noise floor for frequencies that affect audio content.

If we do a special FPGA load for the 5XXX we will consider making it available for the 4XXX models, for a fee. This would be a 4k centric version, which might change the status of, not only vertical-keystone, and PiP/PoP, but Darbee as well. So those who have a lot of 1080 and lower resolution content my not be interested. The current work for the pipeline enhancements needs to be completed and then we can know more about available gates in the FPGA. The changes for the proposed special load would further improve pipeline precision beyond the current work, and perhaps allow us to consider additional features. Any such special release is a long way out and may never happen. That's all I can say at the moment.

·
aka jfinnie
5,220 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. I am personally excited having the 5348 now. Honestly, a big part of this is my own personal enjoyment listening to some pretty awesome audio through the 5348 and the Trinnov Altitude16 in the Lumagen Demo Theater. I have started to buy more concert videos for our Strato and have been listening to a lot more music of late, compared to before the 5348.

FYI: The "cans" you see are Laird Technologies Faraday cages placed over the same DC-to-DC switchers used in the 4XXX series. I prefer DC-DC regulators be "on-board" rather than in a hybrid module. The Laird Faraday cages can reduce radiated EMI from the DC-DC switchers by over 60 dB. While EMI is not directly correlated to the output jitter, I believe reducing EMI is part of the "lower jitter" equation, and also help lower the electrical noise floor for frequencies that affect audio content.

If we do a special FPGA load for the 5XXX we will consider making it available for the 4XXX models, for a fee. This would be a 4k centric version, which might change the status of, not only vertical-keystone, and PiP/PoP, but Darbee as well. So those who have a lot of 1080 and lower resolution content my not be interested. The current work for the pipeline enhancements needs to be completed and then we can know more about available gates in the FPGA. The changes for the proposed special load would further improve pipeline precision beyond the current work, and perhaps allow us to consider additional features. Any such special release is a long way out and may never happen. That's all I can say at the moment.
Glad it sounds like the improvements have paid off.

That's neat, I couldn't see from the perspective of the photo if they were modules with cans on, or cans on top of the main PCB. I might look into those for some of the work stuff I do; one board in particular has a LOT of DCDC converters on it...

Certainly would be interested in the FPGA load related upgrade when the time comes, nice to hear though it's planned as a subsequent update after the currently planned precision one.

·
Registered
598 Posts

Seems like obtaining a better sonic result would push me to upgrade my current Pro. I've far more invested in the audio side of the AV system (Anthem D2V processor, Theta amp, Revel Salon speakers, Transparent cabling, etc.) versus the Lumagen Pro and JVC RS3000. Will be interested on upgrade offers upcoming.

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
Registered
105 Posts
Seems like obtaining a better sonic result would push me to upgrade my current Pro. I've far more invested in the audio side of the AV system (Anthem D2V processor, Theta amp, Revel Salon speakers, Transparent cabling, etc.) versus the Lumagen Pro and JVC RS3000. Will be interested on upgrade offers upcoming.
If audio nirvana is what you are after you should consider a trinnov.

·
Premium Member
3,585 Posts
I was wondering about Lumagen RadiancePro 5348, Trinnov (vs others), as well as linear power supplies and other tweaks.

If building a system from scratch and without financial limitations, could do all of the above.

Reactions: Karl Maga

·
Registered
598 Posts
Maybe but I've only a 5.1 setup and it would appear I'd be wasting much of what the Trinnov offers. And it's not a trivial upgrade.

10641 - 10660 of 11518 Posts