AVS Forum banner

11381 - 11400 of 11556 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
His screen is larger than yours because he is zoomed out to fill, so the pixels are slightly larger on his screen than yours. His screen is roughly the equivalent of a 133" diagonal 16x9 screen.

Also, with regards to set and forget, the only reason one would need to change a setting on the Lumagen tone mapping is because Lumagen did a change to how it works and settings need to be reconsidered based on improvements to processing. Once the proper settings are in place, the need for changing is nearly 0. This is definitely NOT the case with the JVC tone mapping. It is quite good, but it still requires somewhat regular intervention and even with that it still struggles with quite a bit of content that doesn't so much as cause a blip with the Lumagen tone mapping.
At least on Apple TV, you absolutely do need to occasionally change Lumagen’s DTM settings depending on content. It’s really just DynPad from my observations, and not a big deal. It takes about 2 seconds at the start of a film. It’s tied to the Apps on ATV. All iTunes content is consistent, but sometimes on Netflix, Amazon, or HBO, HDR content will require tweaking to DynPad or MaxLight. No question about that.
Unless you set MaxLight to a low value, so that all content looks good. But if you do that, you are ‘leaving ”light” on the table’, as you can get more range on certain content.

Example: Set MaxLight to the scene in The Meg so there‘s no clipping.
Then watch an iTunes HDR film, like Ford vs Ferrari, and it looks great.
Then watch an Apple TV+ series like Amazing Stories, and it’s too dark. Dropping DynPad from 5 to 2 usually does it; on rare occasions I will drop MaxLight.

Reactions: Mike_WI

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I am struggling to understand what exactly you are testing by using hdr flag. Are you double tone mapping? What is your projector?
Honestly, I have no idea what you are comparing here. The descriptions make NO sense at all if you understand how the Radiance works.
Hi both, I'm just fooling around with the Radiance Pro settings here...and how it affects the overall HDR image. Nothing insidious :p

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi both, I'm just fooling around with the Radiance Pro settings here...and how it affects the overall HDR image. Nothing insidious :p
SDR2020 with HDR flag off. Is the only correct option, unless you have new 4K JVC projector then you can have HDR flag on and adjust projector accordingly.

·
aka jfinnie
5,221 Posts
These settings make no sense to "fool around with" though; and if your intention is to truly calibrate them to compare then you need to calibrate both the projector and the radiance differently in each setting. Unless you fully calibrate the chain for each setting, there is no value whatsoever in flicking between them after calibration of one mode. Any significant differences observed on typical content without highly saturated colours (like the example image used) after such calibration would be down to mis-match between the settings and the display expectation (using SDRP3 without a LUT or P3 input mode, or incorrect gamma selection in display, or sending 2.4 gamma encoding when the display can only use PQ in that mode), or limitations in the display (eg a display that doesn't allow full output gamut or brightness without receiving PQ gamma and HDR flag, like a Benq PJ or LG TV).

The settings shown go hand-in-hand with the behaviour of a particular display. So the only "interesting" thing to do is use a pattern generator function and meter to analyse how the display behaves in each mode, and pick the best one for your aims.

The basic requirement for optimal 3DLUT creation, for instance, is linear tracking RGB separation and linear gamut saturation tracking to the gamut edge, with as wide a gamut and as high contrast as possible. Additionally it doesn't really make sense to give away input value range; so it can make sense to pick an output mode such as SDR709 or SDRP3 instead of SDR2020.

If you are not 3DLUT calibrating, then the optimal option depends (assuming you're not brightness limited) on which of the combinations of Radiance output modes and projector input settings get you to most closely map to the standard that the Radiance thinks it is outputting. This allows you to see the full benefit of the tone mapping and the most accurate image.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I recently had to factory reset my Lumagen, so I need to run a calibration again. Sadly, my memory doesn't serve me well since the last time I've done that.

I'm asking here, and not in the Calman thread because folks here are friendly and helpful :)

I'm using Jim's (strongly) recommended setting of outputting both SDR and HDR in an SDR2020 container for both CMS0 and CMS1, and my projector (Sony 995) is set up to a BT2020 colorspace.

When I start Calman, the first choice I'm presented with is the calibration target = target information. The options are between rec.709 or rec.2020. and D65 Whitepoint as the default for both options.

My guess is I should use rec.709 target, as my projector doesn't even cover the full P3 color space.
And that I should calibrate CMS0, and when I'm done, copy the result to CMS1 as well. And in CMS0 in addition to calibrating, also create a 1D and a 3D lut.

So the first question: am I correct that the target in Calman should be rec.709?

And the second question: do I need to turn off settings in the Lumagen prior to running calibration, and then turn them back on? I recall there was a discussion about this, but I can neither find it nor remember it from the last time I had calibrated.

My recollection is that Jim said something about turning on (or not turning on) something in the Lumagen conversion settings, so the calibration can be even more accurate. I'll keep searching in this thread about this, but so far haven't found that discussion.

Many thanks!

·
aka jfinnie
5,221 Posts
SDR2020 with HDR flag off. Is the only correct option, unless you have new 4K JVC projector then you can have HDR flag on and adjust projector accordingly.
This is an over-simplification, but I think in general it is good advice.

If you are gamut limited to 709, or don't get enough brightness in modes that reach above 709, then SDR709 can be a better choice.
If you are 3DLUT calibrating, have a display with moderate P3 coverage but no 2020 capability, then SDRP3 can be a better choice.
If you have a display with a native P3 input mode, then SDRP3 can be a better choice.
If you have a display where the manufacturer has imposed illogical constraints on the links between display modes and output capabilites, then HDR2020 can be a better choice. Eg some Benq projectors that can't reach full colour gamut without receiving "HDR", some LG OLED displays that can't achieve full brightness without receiving "HDR".

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Can anyone recommend a highly qualified professional calibrator (performing 3DLUT) who is proficient with the Radiance Pro who services the Southeast region of the US? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Can anyone recommend a highly qualified professional calibrator (performing 3DLUT) who is proficient with the Radiance Pro who services the Southeast region of the US? Thanks!
I thought you said that Chad R calibrated your RP before?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I thought you said that Chad R calibrated your RP before?
No, my RP was initially calibrated by Craig Rounds in early 2020. He's based in Chicago and has been very limited in his travel due to the pandemic. Chad recently calibrated my NX7 after I changed bulbs, without the RP in the video chain because I had been hoping that Craig would be able to make a definite commitment to recalibrate my RP. It's now unclear when/if he will return in the near future, so I'm looking for an alternative calibrator who has somewhat similar RP immersion as Craig or Kris.

·
Premium Member
3,586 Posts
Lumagen

FW 031521
- Posted 040221
Fix for sometimes getting no audio on 9Ghz output card.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
it was easy to search a particular thread with the old avs forum software, how is this accomplished now? for example, i want to search this thread only (new lumagen radiance pro series) how do i go about it? fwiw i tried advanced search which didn't seem to help.... thanks!

·
Registered
701 Posts
it was easy to search a particular thread with the old avs forum software, how is this accomplished now? for example, i want to search this thread only (new lumagen radiance pro series) how do i go about it? fwiw i tried advanced search which didn't seem to help.... thanks!
Its too easy now 😃 Type what you want to the Search Community on top. Then click Search in this discussion.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
does a 9 GHz output support 4k24 to 4k60 without any issues or is an 18Ghz output required? Thanks

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
60p output is dithered to 8 bit.
Hey Kris, sorry, a bit too technical for me...was that a yes 18G is required or No? Thanks man

edit: ok, googled...Assuming “dithered to 8 bit” as opposed to 10 bit or 12 bit means 9GHz is fine...?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Radiance 4442 and JVC projector.

It's right?:
1º.- JVC AutoCAL
2nd.- ColourSpace 3D LUT

or directly (only) ColourSpace 3D LUT?

Greetings

·
Premium Member
11,885 Posts
Hey Kris, sorry, a bit too technical for me...was that a yes 18G is required or No? Thanks man

edit: ok, googled...Assuming “dithered to 8 bit” as opposed to 10 bit or 12 bit means 9GHz is fine...?
18 isn’t required but it means no compromise. Visually Lumagen claims they are indistinguishable.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Radiance 4442 and JVC projector.

It's right?:
1º.- JVC AutoCAL
2nd.- ColourSpace 3D LUT

or directly (only) ColourSpace 3D LUT?

Greetings
Pick a mode that covers the gamut you want to calibrate to and has linear RGB separation. Do a 2 point grayscale calibration on your JVC. Pick a gamma on your projector closer to the target. Then run a display characterization on colorspace.

11381 - 11400 of 11556 Posts