AVS Forum banner

1161 - 1180 of 8286 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
What is the recommended start-up sequence with projector, source, audio and the Lumagen Pro? Had a couple of times, where my audio doesn't work and turn the pro off and on seems to solve it. Doesn't always happen, but trying the Lumagen ON at the end of the sequence. What are others doing? Thanks. SJ

·
Registered
777 Posts
What is the recommended start-up sequence with projector, source, audio and the Lumagen Pro? Had a couple of times, where my audio doesn't work and turn the pro off and on seems to solve it. Doesn't always happen, but trying the Lumagen ON at the end of the sequence. What are others doing? Thanks. SJ
My sequence is Audio (McIntosh MX151), Source, Lumagen Pro (Delay 10secs) Projector (Sony VW5000). I Have been chasing start up issues for months and this is the best sequence for me.

·
Registered
582 Posts
My sequence is Audio (McIntosh MX151), Source, Lumagen Pro (Delay 10secs) Projector (Sony VW5000). I Have been chasing start up issues for months and this is the best sequence for me.
I agree with this sequence of getting sources powered up first since it's the display that communicates its capabilities to the sources which in turn then are supposed to adjust their output to what they've been told by the display. In my setup my TIVO is always "on" and then I power up my audio processor (Anthem) followed by the Lumagen and finally the JVC projector.

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
This is really good info. I've always powered on my projector first (JVC RS600). I will switch it around to last and give it a try.

Also, do you let each device fully boot up before starting the next piece? Thanks. SJ

·
Registered
777 Posts
This is really good info. I've always powered on my projector first (JVC RS600). I will switch it around to last and give it a try.

Also, do you let each device fully boot up before starting the next piece? Thanks. SJ
Sources such as cable/Tivo and the new Rokus' are always on, so you can move ahead quickly. Audio processors or a Lumagen Pro should be given at least 10 secs to stabilize that includes the 5v line if you are using a active cable from either to the projector.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Sources such as cable/Tivo and the new Rokus' are always on, so you can move ahead quickly. Audio processors or a Lumagen Pro should be given at least 10 secs to stabilize that includes the 5v line if you are using a active cable from either to the projector.
If this is the case, I'm already waiting quite a while for a lamp-based projector to come up, and this will add extensively to the delay. If you ask jrp about this stuff its typical to blame cabling. My issue with that is it isn't consistent. I have a special Control4 macro for power cycling the Lumagen Pro because this got to be such a regular occurance (actually it was an issue with my Radiance XE 3D as well). I hope more can be done in firmware, but preferably we get a solid guide in documentation at some point that is the last word on the matter--including different steps/guidelines if you use active cabling or not (and other variables).

Its annoying and I don't deal with it in any other room in the house without a processor, except VERY rarely. And in the rest of the house I run HDMI matrix, HDMI over Cat6, and multiple rooms with AVRs across numerous model years. Much more solid than the theater with the Radiance.

·
Registered
777 Posts
If this is the case, I'm already waiting quite a while for a lamp-based projector to come up, and this will add extensively to the delay. If you ask jrp about this stuff its typical to blame cabling. My issue with that is it isn't consistent. I have a special Control4 macro for power cycling the Lumagen Pro because this got to be such a regular occurance (actually it was an issue with my Radiance as well). I hope more can be done in firmware, but preferably we get a solid guide in documentation at some point that is the last word on the matter--including different steps/guidelines if you use active cabling or not (and other variables).

Its annoying and I don't deal with it in any other room in the house without a processor, except VERY rarely. And in the rest of the house I run HDMI matrix, HDMI over Cat6, and multiple rooms with AVRs across numerous model years. Much more solid than the theater with the Radiance.
The sequence I noted works for my setup. I don't mind wasting a few extra heartbeats waiting for the system to boot as I believe I am adding to my life by avoiding the frustration of the "Oh Sh_t" moments when I got a black screen or no audio at startup. Until the cable manufacturers adopt a universal standard for certifying 18ghz cables and equipment manufacturers improve their firmware we will still have these glitches.

·
Registered
360 Posts
4K HDR Gamma setting in JVC RS600 vs. Lumagen Pro

I use Lumagen Pro and Chromapure to calibrate my RS600. When I load a 4K disc with HDR the projector automatically selects Gamma D. Does anyone know if such an extreme gamma profile as Gamma D presents a conflict with Lumagen and Chromapure? Or would I be better off manually selecting Gamma Normal or Gamma A before running Chromapure Auto Calibrate?

·
Registered
582 Posts

Yes. I happen to use a Logitech Harmony remote. I've built in enough delay so that the projector come on completely well after all other devices in the chain are on.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
FW Beta 011417

Link

Beta 011417-
Fix for audio issue causing loss of audio or incorrect audio format with some AVR's.
Another audio fix having to do with occasional dropouts with audio out of 18Ghz card.
Fix for issue that with some setups failed to use HDR or 2020 on output when expected.
New 18Ghz input card firmware fixes occasional video loss on input mode change.
Other small improvements.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~5 minutes @230k from previous firmware ---systems with 18Ghz input cards will have ~1 minute bootup time on first power up after this update

·
Premium Member
3,905 Posts
Don't recall seeing that last line in a firmware update. Assume it is updating the 18 Ghz input chip software and has to do this on boot up. Assuming I'm correct, does that mean if we roll back to a previous firmware that it does this again to update to the previous chip software? Thanks. SJ

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
FW Beta 011417 query

Don't recall seeing that last line in a firmware update. Assume it is updating the 18 Ghz input chip software and has to do this on boot up. Assuming I'm correct, does that mean if we roll back to a previous firmware that it does this again to update to the previous chip software? Thanks. SJ
Good question.
I have no idea.

cc @JPR

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hi @jrp, any status update on the development progress of the HDR Intensity Mapping functionality?
We have continued to have our hands full getting the 18 GHz I/O kinks worked out and have not been making much progress on the HDR Intensity Mapping.

So my most recent estimate of the end of January is now looking like end of February. However, we continue to prioritize bugs and compatibility issues higher than new features so there is a chance for this to slip again. We believe the latest release (011417) takes care of most issues with 18 GHz I/O. I am hopeful we can now focus on the HDR intensity Mapping.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
The ability to roll back the HDMI 2.0 input chip software (provided by the chip vendor) is not in the earlier releases. Testing here shows the new code is better than the old input chip code and we do not expect it would be needed.

No reason to spend time on this unless it becomes necessary. However, if it became necessary, we would have a special release to change the input chip's code back to the earlier release.

·
.NET Solution Architect
956 Posts
I use Lumagen Pro and Chromapure to calibrate my RS600. When I load a 4K disc with HDR the projector automatically selects Gamma D. Does anyone know if such an extreme gamma profile as Gamma D presents a conflict with Lumagen and Chromapure? Or would I be better off manually selecting Gamma Normal or Gamma A before running Chromapure Auto Calibrate?
I would not use Auto Calibrate of 3D Lut for HDR, simply because there is no Display on the market that covers whole Rec. 2020 Gamut, therefore Autocalibration simply won't be able to find that delta required to do the matching bit, all your points will be unmatched, simply because there is no 100% correct reference for this. HDR calibration you have to do this manually, and trying bringing down delta error as much as you can, and they would be more than 2% for sure. I am about to receive my Oppo UDP-203 so I'll be able to calibrate mine RS400 via LumagenPro4444 and will post calibration results in the separate thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/2317489-official-jvc-dla-2014-2015-models-calibration-results-thread.html

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thanks for your comments SoulOfUniverse. I know no currently available display can be calibrated all the way out to 100% saturation in 2020 color space but I was unaware Auto Cal does not yet support HDR calibration until Tom Huffman pointed it out yesterday on the Chromapure 3 thread in the Display Calibration forum.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
Beta 020117 FW

Beta 020117

Beta 020117
- Fix for an issue with audio sometimes not turning on with some equipment at power-on.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at [email protected] .
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware

1161 - 1180 of 8286 Posts