AVS Forum banner

11781 - 11800 of 12042 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
If anyone in the Crestron programmers community wants to help us improve our professionally written Crestron module that would be great. I will certainly try to support any questions you have. You can email me at the lumagen.com support email.

The current module did not account for all the then source aspect ratios we support, and we have added the 1.90 source aspect since then.

Overall I hear that the Crestron Module is well written (I am not a Crestron programmer so I do not have first hand knowledge of this). Improving it would be all the better.
Thanks @jrp ; I’ll be happy to share any additions that I make with you via email.

I’m not a professional programmer. Just a keen geek who programmes my own crestron system at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: telem

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
1) Is there any case where calibrating SDR / HDR where 2020 <-> 601/709 = Auto convert ?

2) Is there any case when calibrating SDR / HDR where Intensity Mapping Enable = On ?
1) Yes. If you are calibrating CMS0 for SDR 709, and have CMS0 Colorspace = SDR2020, and "Auto convert" enabled (HDR flag is off), then you put the projector in Rec 2020 Gamma 2.4 mode (as you must in any case), you can calibrate using SDR 709 input pattern and Rec 709, Gamma 2.4 or Bt.1886, targets, and it will work.

The path is: 709 input -> Radiance Pro converts to Rec 2020 data and outputs as Rec 2020 from the Pro. The projector is in Rec 2020 mode and so when it interprets the data in Rec 2020, the points end up back where they should be for Rec 709.

This allows you to use SDR2020 for Colorspace for both CMS0 and CMS1, avoiding the colorspace change from SDR to/from HDR source.

2) No. Radiance Pro calibration for both SDR and HDR content is done with SDR patterns, to a Gamma = 2.4 (or for SDR content you can target Bt.1886). So HDR content is not used, and DTM is always disabled for SDR content.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Thanks @jrp ; I’ll be happy to share any additions that I make with you via email.

I’m not a professional programmer. Just a keen geek who programmes my own crestron system at home.

That would be great.

As you have questions, please reach out to me at the lumagen.com support email.

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
The Non-PiP remote will be used for all non-PiP capable units, but the "PiP remote" version will be the standard remote for the 444X series going forward. Yes, I know, we have not implemented PiP yet, but we do still plan to. I am sure this will illicit a comment from the peanut gallery.
Well, I didn't see anybody from the "peanut gallery" respond, so I will...I was a little behind on reading posts, but I went back 3 months, and never saw any other real mention of PiP/PoP, and it's probably been much longer than that since anybody has asked...so I'll be that guy. I've now had the Radiance Pro for over 6 years...I had PiP/PoP on my previous unit. So I haven't had this feature for all those years...I know jrp is aware, but maybe it puts into perspective asking for features or enhancements that are being worked on now that wouldn't even have existed in 2015...my point / question is where is PiP in the roadmap these days? It seems every time it is ready to bump higher, it gets pushed back down.

I'm getting ready to invest even more money in the Radiance ecosystem on an expensive Control4 driver (not that the driver isn't worth it, but it is more of an investment than most paid drivers, and for perspective (again) most drivers for Control4 are free (frequently funded by the manufacturer)), so I thought it was a good time to ask.

(I do feel I have been more patient than anybody should reasonably be expected to be...I only ask about this maybe once a year or less)

·
aka jfinnie
5,427 Posts
Not sure of all the possible uses for this new "report aspect when Auto Aspect is off" feature. This is specifically in response to a request to report the detected source aspect while Auto Aspect is off. This request was from a control system program, but I do not recall the details of why he requested it at the moment.

The case I can think of is a 16:9 screen with masking. The programmer does not want Auto Aspect on since the Pro does not need to make aspect changes because everything all aspect stay in the 16:9 raster. Then the new Full v4 is used to auto-report the actual aspect detected by the Pro to the control system, and the control system is used to control screen masking.
I was one of the people asking for this a while ago (or some variant of). Thank you very much for adding it. :)

In my case, I do indeed have a 16:9 screen with top bottom electric masks with 6 masks position stored (16:9, 1.85:1, 2:1, 2.2:1, 2.35:1 and 2.4:1). So in no case does my image actually need to change, I just need the trigger to move the masks to the right place. My desire for this was because Auto-aspect triggers an aspect change in the Radiance, and it seems even if that aspect change >could< do nothing to the video (because, for instance, 16:9 screen with 16:9 content, going to 16:9 screen masked to 2.35:1 content with letterbox zoom disabled) there is maybe a single frame glitch in the video. You can also see such effect if zooming in the Radiance - there is an odd scaled frame in the middle of the two different scalings - it's like it can't set up the new scaling in a single frame.

The visual effect in my theatre was that auto-aspect would detect 1 or 2 seconds into a scene, then you'd see a brief "glitch", then the masks would move. It was a bit jarring in the presentation, and just spoilt the magic of aspect detection a little for me - masking screens are unfeasibly expensive for what they are and you want it all to be top-notch :). With the new report it's now possible for the masks to just start moving without and impact on the video that is playing as no Radiance aspect change happens, which is really nice. Without noticing it you transition to perfectly masked video. The only thing that I'd love to implement but can't see any way to do it would be to make the video "unmask" along with the masks when transitioning to 16:9 from 2.4 - so the image opens up. At the moment - through no fault of the Radiance's - when you go from 2.4 -> 16.9 you get overspill onto the masks until they've moved out of the way. I guess if there were a controllable way to be able to adjust the top / bottom masking in the Radiance a pixel at a time (and it could be done without glitching the video) you could make the masking of the video image unmask after the masks have moved, which would be cool. I know you can shrink over the serial protocol, but not mask?

The only downside with this implementation using the new report is that you lose some of the nice tweaks that have been added to auto aspect in recent times (sticky aspect override, merging of aspects) and they then need separately implementing in a control system; I was benefiting from letting the Lumagen be the "master" of the screen logic. That meant I could change aspect in the Lumagen and have the screen move, and I could nobble auto aspect and have it re-enable magically when switching to a new source. All that logic now needs to go into a separate control program. Will have to think about how I do that as it will need to get a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Everyone:

Thanks for the feedback on remote code conflict with JVC. There is no "organization" that controls IR code sequences. I know NEC (and I think Sony) have generated code sequences and given out specific "vendor ID" ranges to various entities to help prevent conflict, but the Lumagen codes are from 2002 and I believe before this occurred. At that time we were told the IR code sequences we were given by our then IR remote control vendor (who no longer exists) would not conflict.

We may be able to eliminate the conflict. I suspect the Lumagen IR code sequences are a "close enough" subset of some JVC IR codes to cause the Lumagen to accept them as a command. I will check the RS4500 remote IR code sequences (which I have never had this issue with) to see if I can see an issue on the oscilloscope. The Lumagen IR command processor should be able to be changed to reject the JVC IR code sequence header. If this looks feasible (as I expect), we will put it on our to do list.
Talking about remote, may I had the possibility to pick up a code variance through, for example, an ID ?
I find out I was messing with my 2143 when setting up a 4242 which was placed on top of it....
I understand it's not usual to have 2 lumagen in a rack but a solution would be appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
4,150 Posts
Well, I didn't see anybody from the "peanut gallery" respond, so I will...I was a little behind on reading posts, but I went back 3 months, and never saw any other real mention of PiP/PoP, and it's probably been much longer than that since anybody has asked...so I'll be that guy. I've now had the Radiance Pro for over 6 years...I had PiP/PoP on my previous unit. So I haven't had this feature for all those years...I know jrp is aware, but maybe it puts into perspective asking for features or enhancements that are being worked on now that wouldn't even have existed in 2015...my point / question is where is PiP in the roadmap these days? It seems every time it is ready to bump higher, it gets pushed back down.

I'm getting ready to invest even more money in the Radiance ecosystem on an expensive Control4 driver (not that the driver isn't worth it, but it is more of an investment than most paid drivers, and for perspective (again) most drivers for Control4 are free (frequently funded by the manufacturer)), so I thought it was a good time to ask.

(I do feel I have been more patient than anybody should reasonably be expected to be...I only ask about this maybe once a year or less)
I have been asking for PIP/POP ever since I got my Pro. Used it a lot in my previous Lumagen. Now that I upgraded to a 5348 have moved on. Lol. Still wish it was possible with that unit, but knew going in it will not be. It is a slick feature…. SJ

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Talking about remote, may I had the possibility to pick up a code variance through, for example, an ID ?
I find out I was messing with my 2143 when setting up a 4242 which was placed on top of it....
I understand it's not usual to have 2 lumagen in a rack but a solution would be appreciated :)
The best solution is to use RS232 commands. Higher end systems with two Radiance or Radiance Pro models generally have a control system, and this works well.

Alternately, some IR controller can have Zones. You would use the wired IR input on the back of each, and put them in different IR zones.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
For Darbee Processing enthusiasts, Pixelgendesign has now indicated an early September shipping date for pre-orders of the 4K standalone "PXLVISION powered by Darbee" module. Here's the link

Reactions: Mark_H

·
aka jfinnie
5,427 Posts
Very basic script that does a Lumagen volume OSD for the Monoprice HTP1 here. Could be expanded relatively easily to add other fields.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Question for the crestron owners.

Has anyone got a more recent crestron module than the one on the lumagen website ?

I’m just starting my integration. The website one is working fine but there are some new commands plus others in the Lumagen command list that aren’t in the module yet.

I’m happy to modify the website module myself if need be but wanted to ask the greater community in case I was duplicating work that had already been done.

Thanks

The Creston module on the lumagen website is not fully functional. My programmer used it as a base, but had to make a LOT of changes to work right. Jim had mentioned there are some issues (a couple months ago). Mind you, I was requesting reporting of AR and ability to move the masks etc based on that.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yes. I will make the changes myself. I’ve offered to share the changes with Jim.

For example there isn’t yet any feedback as to whether the lumagen is powered on. It’s a simple change but at the moment crestron doesn’t know if I power my lumagen on via the ir remote.

The aspect ratio reporting is in the nee firmware and I will look to adding that too.

Just takes time. I got my theatre to turn on correctly for the first time yesterday with all the devices being controlled by crestron. Really very nice.

I hit Kodi button on my remote and the projector starts. The artwork which covers the screen will open up and the masking panels goto 1.78 for the Kodi menu. Then I’ve also got it working such that Kodi reports the aspect ratio of the currently playing movie and the masking panels move to the exact aspect ratio. Can be any ratio from 1.33 to 2.40. Not just present ones. For example if I had a weird movie at 2.25 the panels would move to that exact ratio.

Lots of subtle improvements to come but yesterday was the first time my wife or one of my other family members was able to watch a movie without me being home.

Reactions: turls

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Very basic script that does a Lumagen volume OSD for the Monoprice HTP1 here. Could be expanded relatively easily to add other fields.
You need a Pi to run the script correct?

·
aka jfinnie
5,427 Posts
You need a Pi to run the script correct?
I use a Pi because it is cheap, small, and uses a tiny amount of power so leaving it on all the time is no big deal. All you really need is a compatible Python environment, so it probably works under Python on Windows or Mac or any Linux you like on a PC. You'd need to install python3.7 from the web, and then use the pip command to install the things that are "Import"ed at the top of the script. The serial port stuff probably needs changing on Mac and Windows to use the right serial port devices (and on linux, if you have more than one USB serial port, you'll need to pick the right one).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted to drop in and preach to the choir. I decided to join the club just for the heck of it and put a 5348 with a Keces P8 into my setup. I finally had a chance to sit down and watch a movie last night and was blown away with the HDR DTM and Atmos track. I usually skip anything that has to do with streaming but wow, The Mitchells vs The Machines is now the only Netflix film that is demo worthy.

I have tried several scenes from movies using my other setup (madVR with a 3090 GPU) and I can vouch for the guys that say that Lumagen's DTM provides a more natural and consistent picture.

I still would like to use my HTPC as the main device (speed and convenience) and wanted to know what the correct settings should be in the Nvidia control panel. Should it be 444 or 422 limited instead of RGB full?

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Hi folks...new 4240 user here...I‘m trying the simplest setup...4K BR to 18G input 1, 9G output to tv...when I fire up the 4240, I get a pink screen on my Sony 900F tv...All cables are longer than 2 meters and never a problem with existing cables on any other devices...does pink screen typically suggest new cables required? any other ideas? Thanks folks

EDIT: SOLVED, used 2nd output on 4240...I wish I could promise there won’t be more newbie questions 😥

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Ok, now I’m trying to use my AVR to switch so monitor out of AVR to input 1 of 4240 and output 2 of 4240 to tv...won’t sync...is there a specific fire up sequence I need to use? ie. Display then AVR then Lumagen then Panny? Thanks folks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ok, now I’m trying to use my AVR to switch so monitor out of AVR to input 1 of 4240 and output 2 of 4240 to tv...won’t sync...is there a specific fire up sequence I need to use? ie. Display then AVR then Lumagen then Panny? Thanks folks
New user also. See post #7643.

Reactions: asharma

·
Registered
3,399 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Well, I am up and running, switching my Sheild and Panny 820 with my AVR...Question, the 4240 shows it’s outputting 4K HDR and there is no funky weird color saturation but my Sony TV doesn’t show the HDR flag beside the picture mode...Is this normal or is there a setting in the Lumagen to flip the HDR flag on the Sony picture menu to ON? Thanks folks

Edit: perhaps the Sony TV only shows the HDR flag if THE SONY TV is actually doing the tmapping?

11781 - 11800 of 12042 Posts