AVS Forum banner

11981 - 12000 of 12122 Posts

·
Registered
19,852 Posts
It is possible to use autoaspect with a 16:9 screen in at least 2 ways:
1) Just use the aspect detect to move electromechanical masks on a screen
2) Have auto-aspect auto zoom wider aspect content to fill the screen.

I do 1). I'm not suggesting 2) is a good idea - creative intent and all that - but it is, nevertheless, an option, for those who dislike black bars.
You would lose a lot of picture content doing # 2!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can someone recommend a Crestron programmer who is very familiar with the Radiance Pro RS232 commands to help me take advantage of the new input aspect detection feature in combination with the Vertical Shift setting to help me automate my screen masking? I just changed to double-top screen masking so that I can eliminate letterboxing completely by shifting the image to the bottom of my 16:9 screen and doing all the masking at the top, which gives me a better viewing angle. Now I want to see if I can automate the masking and vertical shift levels using input aspect detection.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I saw that new feature in 050221, mentioning the “full v4” report can be useful for driving masking systems, and I was left scratching my head. I’m already using version ZQI23 “full v3” which contains source and output aspect to drive my masking, it wasn’t clear to me what was actually new here or if there was something I could take advantage of. It seems to me you’d want to use the Lumagen output aspect for masking anyway, it would always be correct even if you manually change aspect or use NLS.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I saw that new feature in 050221, mentioning the “full v4” report can be useful for driving masking systems, and I was left scratching my head. I’m already using version ZQI23 “full v3” which contains source and output aspect to drive my masking, it wasn’t clear to me what was actually new here or if there was something I could take advantage of. It seems to me you’d want to use the Lumagen output aspect for masking anyway, it would always be correct even if you manually change aspect or use NLS.
I have had some issues using the Lumagen auto aspect with Kaleidescape, so could not take full advantage ot it. As I understand it, for some sources the aspect ratio is often 1.78 even for letterboxed titles because they are simply filling the top and bottom with a black image, so I am assuming that the input aspect detection is able to adjust for that.

·
Hello, World!
2,465 Posts
I saw that new feature in 050221, mentioning the “full v4” report can be useful for driving masking systems, and I was left scratching my head. I’m already using version ZQI23 “full v3” which contains source and output aspect to drive my masking, it wasn’t clear to me what was actually new here or if there was something I could take advantage of.
As I understand it, v3 requires auto aspect to be activated to populate the original fields. v4 populates the new fields with aspect information even if auto aspect isn't switched on. If v3 is working for you, then no need to switch at the moment.

Currently, with auto-aspect on, v4 will have the same data in both sets of fields. Hopefully, the v4 fields will eventually populate actual aspect ratio, rather than the currently limited subset used so that we can also auto-frame 1.66:1, 2.57:1, or indeed any aspect ratio.

·
aka jfinnie
5,445 Posts
Some mask screen solutions don't actually need the Lumagen aspect scaling functions, they just need the screen move triggering - eg my 16x9 top and bottom Screen research electric mask screen. When using V3 reports with autoaspect enabled, the aspect detection causes a frame glitch as the Lumagen "changes" AR. Using the V4 reports with AA disabled gets rid of the Lumagen aspect change, and hence also the glitch. So the masks just glide in and out on the screen automagically.

If using a scope screen where you have to change the image scaling for eg: 16:9 to fit the screen height, then I believe the glitch passes mostly unnoticed as the aspect change is far more significant.

·
Premium Member
3,612 Posts
Lumagen

052521- Posted 060421
Small improvement to DTM eliminates an incorrect brightness jump in some scenes.
Expanded range lower for FPGA chip temp setting.
Please continue giving us your detailed feedback on issues via email at support@lumagen.com
Update time ~1 minutes @230k from previous firmware.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Thanks everyone on the clarification. That makes sense - if you aren’t using an A-lens but still want to mask you’ll still need that info.

I didn’t realize that full v3 report only included aspect ratio information if auto aspect was turned on, and the description on the firmware download page is quite lacking, doesn’t mention auto aspect on/off at all.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Thanks, What mode needs to be used on the JVC if the Lumagen is outputting SDRBT2020 with the HDR flag set to on? Is it a User mode with gamma set to 2.4 or is it the already present HDR mode (not frame adapt)...?
Hi, we spoke 1:1 about a month ago...

There is no good reason to output HDR from the Lumagen with a JVC or Sony display. You want the Lumagen to do the tone-mapping, so set it to output in an SDR container to your display.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts

There is no good reason to output HDR from the Lumagen with a JVC or Sony display. You want the Lumagen to do the tone-mapping, so set it to output in an SDR container to your display.
Thanks, yes that’s what I have done but what mode should the jvc be set to? Just a User mode with gamma set to 2.4?

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Mostly for me it was just about geeking out and having the latest in the HT, fear of missing out and all that... hehe.
I think more or less the only thing they've added is better support for 60Hz HDR content.

The SOC processor is "different" - A12 vs A10X. This seems like it may be a mixed blessing - with better CPU performance and perhaps slightly worse GPU performance, and I guess a better video decoder.

There have been some reports that the video output in some modes is a bit more accurate.

It is billed as having HDMI 2.1 but not really any HDMI2.1 features discussed at the moment, and running it into a 5348, that is more of a curiosity than anything else.
I got the new Apple TV as well, going into the 5348. I was hoping for lower jitter; but I have no way to measure it. The previous gen Apple TV 4K was a bit sluggish when switching from the menus to content, this new one is faster, as expected.

I have noticed bugs where it says it cannot switch from 4K SDR to 1080P SDR - it says the display is not capable of displaying 1080P(!), which is obviously false. Rebooting the ATV fixes it. Never had that with the 1st Gen ATV...

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
It’s more than toggling the Lumagen. You also need to toggle the JVC DTM on/off during the comparison.
You can do it, but it’s not even close - the Lumagen’s DTM is far better than the JVC’s (or latest from Sony). It’s sort of like doing an A-B between hamburger and filet minion!

·
Registered
730 Posts

Personal preference, but I like to use SDH2020 hdr flag on for my rs3000.

Ive got my JVC to automatically go to user mode 4 when it gets an hdr flag, using gamma 2.4 imported. I like it like this so it’s automated.

Of course you could leave the hdr flag off and just manually switch your JVC to the appropriate mode with a gamma 2.4

Reactions: asharma

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Personal preference, but I like to use SDH2020 hdr flag on for my rs3000.

Ive got my JVC to automatically go to user mode 4 when it gets an hdr flag, using gamma 2.4 imported. I like it like this so it’s automated.

Of course you could leave the hdr flag off and just manually switch your JVC to the appropriate mode with a gamma 2.4
When using your User Mode 4, what is your picture mode? Is it set to HDR…? I know it can’t be set to frame adapt…

·
Registered
730 Posts
When using your User Mode 4, what is your picture mode? Is it set to HDR…? I know it can’t be set to frame adapt…
My picture mode is user 4 (I custom named it 4k hdr). If you do it this way, make sure you import gamma 2.4. Lumagen set to sdh2020. See pics:
1623026509284.jpeg 1623026539628.jpeg 1623026582388.jpeg

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
My picture mode is user 4 (I custom named it 4k hdr). If you do it this way, make sure you import gamma 2.4. Lumagen set to sdh2020. See pics:
View attachment 3141989 View attachment 3141990 View attachment 3141991
Thanks for the info…I’m trying to understand why you have set it up this way…is the issue that if you use the default picture mode of HDR that you can’t then set gamma to 2.4? My RS3000 should be arriving late next week so just trying to get ahead of the game a bit…thanks again…

Edit: also why do you need to import a custom gamma? Can’t I just chose gamma 2.4?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the info…I’m trying to understand why you have set it up this way…is the issue that if you use the default picture mode of HDR that you can’t then set gamma to 2.4? My RS3000 should be arriving late next week so just trying to get ahead of the game a bit…thanks again…
Yes, ever since JVC 3.50 update, if you want the JVC to “auto switch” to your desired hdr mode with the hdr flag and not use it’s built in frame adapt mode, you have to import the gamma 2.4.

If you don’t mind using the JVC remote to manually switch to your desired hdr mode, then have the Lumagen send sdr2020 (instead of sdh2020).

Does that make sense? I’m probably not explaining it very well

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Yes, ever since JVC 3.50 update, if you want the JVC to “auto switch” to your desired hdr mode with the hdr flag and not use it’s built in frame adapt mode, you have to import the gamma 2.4.

If you don’t mind using the JVC remote to manually switch to your desired hdr mode, then have the Lumagen send sdr2020 (instead of sdh2020).

Does that make sense? I’m probably not explaining it very well
Thanks, in the second scenario (Lumagen sending SDR2020), would the JVC would be doing the tone mapping instead of the Lumagen?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks, in the second scenario (Lumagen sending SDR2020), would the JVC would be doing the tone mapping instead of the Lumagen?
the Lumagen does the tone mapping for sdr2020 or sdh2020 as long as you have the JVC in the correct picture mode (not frame adapt). The only difference is sdh2020 sends the hdr flag so your JVC will switch picture modes automatically.

Your JVC won’t do the tonemapping unless you have it in frame adapt (or hdr10 pic mode?)

Im sorry I’m confusing you! Bottom line, if you want the JVC to auto switch on its own, use sdh2020 (flag on) with user 4, 5 or 6 with import of gamma 2.4 you’ve got it set up correctly to let the Lumagen do its thing.

If you don’t care about it auto switching, just send sdr2020 (hdr flag off) and manually change the JVC to a pic mode you’ve set up with 2.4 gamma and bt2020 color profile.

Reactions: asharma
11981 - 12000 of 12122 Posts