AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellas,

Been a lurker here for the most part and enjoying the tremendous amount of knowledge. Without AVS forums setting up my Sony LCD would have been a lot more difficult and I doubt it would have turned up as well as it did. As it stands now every one that sees it falls in love with the picture, thank you AVS Members

I've been an Apple/Mac guy for quite a while (since the Apple ][ days) and up until recently was running a upgrade G4 Cube as my media player (it replaced my Mediagate MG-35). While the Cube was good it was getting a little long in the tooth and choked/stuttered on some of the newer Divx downloads and HD content. As a side note, getting the Cube to display on the Sony was a b***h ! ! ! Requiring a lot of trial and error and a ADC to DVI to HDMI set-up (not pretty but it worked).

Sooooooo, I sprung for a new Mac Mini (the 2.0GHz model with SuperDrive). After searching the forums I was a little nervous because of past issues reported with hooking up HD LCD's and the early Mac Minis.

Well the hook-up was painless. It's a 52" Sony XBR4 and I hooked up the Mini via a DVI to HDMI cable. Since I use this set-up to surf as well as watch movies I set the resolution to 720P (1280 X 720). Yes it does 1080P resolutions as well with no difficulties

Needless to say I'm a pretty happy camper. This computer is just about perfect as a Media player, small, silent and powerful.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
What a nice surprise! When I saw your thread title, I was ready to read about another problem with a Mini and a TV display.

I'd like to add your model to the list of TVs that work out of the box with Macs (see Guide to Mac-Compatible Displays in the stickies above). Was that the case or did you have to tweak anything?

·
Registered
110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageophile /forum/post/14171860

Since I use this set-up to surf as well as watch movies I set the resolution to 720P (1280 X 720). Yes it does 1080P resolutions as well with no difficulties

Ummm... It does 1080p great, but you choose 720p. Are you sure it's working alright?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Further /forum/post/14172137

I'd like to add your model to the list of TVs that work out of the box with Macs (see Guide to Mac-Compatible Displays in the stickies above). Was that the case or did you have to tweak anything?

No tweaking or anything, just a DVI to HDMI cable.

The Mac Mini correctly indicated the Display was a Sony TV XV (or might have been VX). Numerous other resolutions were also offered

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Shelton /forum/post/14173377

Ummm... It does 1080p great, but you choose 720p. Are you sure it's working alright?

Yeap it working just fine but with the 1080p setting I find surfing to be a pita on my eyes. The text is very sharp but a little too small for my liking.

It's all the other OSX stuff that is for me too small when it's at 1080p. The default windows are not a lot of fun at that setting.

I've done the same thing with other displays, while the max resolution is perfectly workable and there is a ton of screen space all the small icons get on my nerves. Yes it may be a quirk

·
Registered
35 Posts
you can easily change the size of the icons and the dock to solve that problem. but not the darn very important menu bar. and you are right, it is too tiny at 1080p.

i use the zoom key controls in the disability access preferences to quickly toggle zoom, which works great for all content on the screen. it is better than using any application-based zoom since it is finder-based and global.

why or why won't apple let us adjust the menu bar size along with everything else?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I have a similar setup, 2.0 Mac Mini to a Sony 46XBR @1080p. Tried many solutions to enlarge and zoom.

The best I've found is use Firefox browser and the Mouse Gestures add-on. with simple diagonal movement of the mouse, anything (text or pictures), can be zoomed or unzoomed.

Worked perfect with older Firefox 2.o, now with new Firefix 3.o it sometimes doesn't work. Still easier than most other things I tried, as I don't like using the keyboard for control from the couch.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Add me as another happy camper with a MacMini 2 GHz connected to a 46XBR4.

I have settled on using the VGA input rather than HDMI for convenience sake and leaving an HDMI free for other devices. No real reduction in video quality that I can see - I tend to use 1600x900 or 720p for general use and 1080p for video. Works great at any resolution and streaming Netflix movies through Windows in Parallels Desktop VM also beautiful.

Digital audio out into Denon 2807. If there's a better setup I couldn't imagine it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all. I'd like to add my joy to the pairing of my mini and the xbr4.

I do have a question. When I upgraded to Leopard and after the reboot, the mini now needs to have the overscan toggled to show the blue bars in the activity monitor. This is really a pain. Do any of you have an easier solution? Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all. I had my mini connected to my XBR4 via the tv’s VGA port and everythinkg worked seamlessly (mini recognized Sony TV and adjusted the settings automatically). I rearranged my setup and had to add a vga extension cable. Now the Sony TV setting no longer appears and options for all 16:9 resolutions have disappeared. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts