Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,

Thanks to the great work of Ivan Drucker, I am happy to announce a new release of DVArchive 2.1 for Mac OS X. The changes/updates are all about the Mac integration. Otherwise, this has no change in features from any previous release of DVArchive.

Here is what has changed:

- DVArchive Server Enabler and DVArchive Permission Fixer now operate

correctly with Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther)

- DVArchive Server Enabler now quits as soon as DVArchive launches,

rather than staying running

- The Mac OS X Read Me has more information on using VideoLAN Client with

DVArchive, and instructions on what to do if the Panther upgrade process

broke your Java installation

- The distribution archive has been fixed to expand with the most recent

StuffIt Expander

If these issues do not apply to how you use DVArchive, you may not need

this update. DVArchive itself is unchanged.

If you have been using a non-Mac distribution of DVArchive, for example

because you have had trouble unstuffing, please be sure to read the Mac

OS X Read Me for instructions on how to preserve your existing show

guides when you start using the Mac distribution.

You can identify this distribution by looking at the Mac OS X Read Me

file and scrolling to the bottom; this is version 2.1_r4.

Have a great day,

Gerry

·
Registered
40 Posts
Slightly off-topic: I updated VLC to 0.7.0 at the same time as DVArchive, and discovered the new version of MacOS VLC no longer plays live streams correctly. No video window ever opens, and it goes into a high processor usage loop. Local content (already downloaded) does play correctly. Reverting to version 0.6.2 restores correct behavior. It's too bad, since it looks like there were some good bug-fixes in the new VLC.

Thanks for the updated DVArchive.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunatly, that sort of thing (newer version breaks streaming) seems to happen a lot. There was a time where folks were told that if they wanted to stream with VLC, there was an exact point release it worked on and anything earlier/later than that didn't work.

Uusally, they fix it, though I would strongly suggest you report that HTTP streaming seems broken to the VLC developers so they have a chance to fix it again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the comment. In the readme for the new DVArchive release, I don't recommend anything past VLC 0.4.6 for live streaming, since that is the last version I know of that everyone was able to use reliably for that function. What you are seeing with 0.7.0 is what I (and many others) see with any version from 0.5.0 onward -- very mysterious. I'd love to know makes it work for some users and not others, but have not yet been able to figure it out. So as it is, I basically stand by QuickTime as the best answer, though I realize that some want an alternative.

Ivan.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.