AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heavily leaning towards the HSU HB-1 MK2, they look amazing for the price. Is there a speaker that can top these for $300 a pair?

Im replacing a set if infinity beta 20's.

Amp is a Parasound HCA-1000A, Emotiva Preamp and Epik Knight sub (bass is not an issue
)

The HSU's have gotten some sick reviews, otherwise, the Emotiva ERD series looks good. What about the Tweak city audio WAF-1? Is that even out yet?

A HUGE thanks guys, I cant wait for my new speakers, help me out, and remember, IM BALLIN ON A BUDGET!

Edit: Will the 6ohm nominal be a problem for the Parasound? I assume not, but just checking..

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've demo'd the Hsus at their HQ in orange county many times and they are really hard to beat for the money. If you have a sub already and need a bookshelf on a budget, the Hsu is a great choice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man, its too bad they only have 1 in stock lol!

Thanks though

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericm83 /forum/post/15482222

I don't know if you are going to be able to get much better than the Beta 20s on $300.

Agreed. Any particular reason you want to replace your existing speakers, or do you just have the upgrade bug?

·
Registered
231 Posts
i went with a mix+match set of 1-2 gen old klispch synergy series speakers and couldn't be happier. Great sound quality, and great reviews on all of them for that matter. I may update my center to the last gen so they all match aesthetically, even though sound-wise they're perfectly fine. I did my whole 5 speaker setup for under $500, and already had a decent sub for my apartment

·
Banned
873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/15481639

Heavily leaning towards the HSU HB-1 MK2, they look amazing for the price. Is there a speaker that can top these for $300 a pair?

Infinity Beta 20's.

Or some Infinity Primus 360's.

Check out this thread and follow the comments by plhart, the designer of the Beta 20's.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The only reason that I want new speakers is because when a higher note is played, it is distorted, So I believe the tweeter is blown

·
Registered
29,190 Posts
Then replace the tweeter, that's gotta be cheaper than a new set of speakers. How long have you had the Beta 20? They come with a 5 year warranty.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They were purchased used

Here is something I want to throw out there, I dont really enjoy the sound of the Beta's. I picked up a pair of Thiel CS-1's from goodwill, and I absolutely love how they sound. The tweeter recently went out on one of those too

If anything, Ill be buying a new tweeter for the Thiel.

What speakers would sound similar?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I said the hell with it and went with a set of eD A6-6T6's for $400, they seem like a decent set of speakers for the money, and I was just killing myself with what I wanted to go with....

They should arrive shortly, after which I will give my impressions.

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you went through two tweets on 2 different speakers, you are probably listening too loudly with a receiver that is underpowered.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess its possible Damage, but considering my amp is a Parasound, Its not just any low-end pos receiver, I would expect it to output clean power no matter what volume level. Considering the quality level of the components inside and the THX certification.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/15496081

I would expect it to output clean power no matter what volume level

Certifications and name brand aside, I doubt they can defy physics.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by damagemcramage /forum/post/15495826

if you went through two tweets on 2 different speakers, you are probably listening too loudly with a receiver that is underpowered.

+1

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess im not understanding "under powered". I could see if you guys were referring to a Yamaha or Sony receiver, but not a nice piece of gear made by Parasound?

I really dont listen to my music loudly, rarely turn the knob past 12 O'clock.

You still have my confused with the whole "under powered" crapola

Ninja Edit: Both sets of speakers were used, one bought off of CL, the other from Goodwill of all places. There is no way of knowing what sort of abuse they were put through, along with a million other reasons that a speaker could go bad.

·
Registered
450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/15496282

I guess im not understanding "under powered". I could see if you guys were referring to a Yamaha or Sony receiver, but not a nice piece of gear made by Parasound?

You still have my confused with the whole "under powered" crapola

Ninja Edit: Both sets of speakers were used, one bought off of CL, the other from Goodwill of all places. There is no way of knowing what sort of abuse they were put through, along with a million other reasons that a speaker could go bad.

Whatever other abuse they were put through before you bought them - they survived it. Your use is what caused them to kick it.

So maybe you can understand why people are asking you to look closer at whether or not your actions are causing an early demise. Saying things like you "didn't like" the sound of a tweeter, along with your other comments, could point to not only a bad-sounding speaker, but also could be a symptom of other issues caused by how you're driving them.

I don't think we are trying to criticize you here really - we are just trying to help you prevent future damage to your new gear. It may very well not be anything you have done, but just in case, you know, if there was an issue with the way your gear is interacting with the tweets on those old speakers, then it might end up the same way with the new ones - and then you'll be hassled with replacement or whatever - so it might not hurt to listen.

I am not an expert - but I know enough to know there is a lot of good advice on this forum. I rarely see people regret the exchanges of questions, answers and advice offered here. In fact - never.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by combos99 /forum/post/15496282

"Loud" is definately a relative term. I'd bet that someone here (sorry, that someone is not me), could help you determine if your properly powering the speakers, especially if you can give more details about the equipment and your listening habits.

I'm not one to speculate that your doing something to blow your tweets, but two gone on two different speakers with the same equipment sure makes one wonder. If it were me, I would make sure it wasn't anything more than coincidence before hooking up new speakers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts