AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the ep2500 in bridged mode, double checked the dip switches, and the wiring is all good up to the Mal-x. However the bass seems to be low, as in someone turned the volume down
. I tried to run it a few Db hot and it did not help much. The gain on the 2500 is all the way up, my AVR is about -25 (I sit a bit close) and the sub is +4 db.

When compairing it to my previous cheapo 8" woofer, that sounded loud and had more presence. So something is wrong, any ideas?

Could it be I may have wired the subwoofer to the binding posts wrong? Should I try reversing the connection in the back of the sub?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Most likely you wired it wrong... try by powering just one coil to see if there's difference .... then you can take it from there.

If you wired the coils one in phase and one outta of phase then you won't too much out of it...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaris /forum/post/15540631

Most likely you wired it wrong... try by powering just one coil to see if there's difference .... then you can take it from there.

If you wired the coils one in phase and one outta of phase then you won't too much out of it...

hmm, when you mean just one coil...

When looking at the Mal X I see 1 set of binding posts, what should I do?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also notice humming when I plug the ep2500 in. I bought an XLR -RCA from mono price, should I crack open the XLR side and rewire it like this?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sorry my bad..I thought they were dual coils.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I have my ep2500 wired with an rca to 1/4" plug, about 25 ft long. You want the cable shield wired to ground at the ep end only, and the tip of the rca to the tip of the 1/4", and ground to ground (signal only).

Sorry, probably a poor description. There is a pic of it floating around here somewhere.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When i get home I will try hooking up my older sub to the ep2500 to see which end the error is on.

As for the humming, I read about XLR floating or something to do with the grounding wire, still not sure, Neodan will come shortly soon to help

And the last issue is the hurricane fan noise. I was wondering instead of using a 24v fan if I could use two 12 volt fans or a single 12 volt fan with a rheostat to limit the voltage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok I found his old thread,

using this diagram

I should be able to take the ground end out of the RCA side and run it to back of the AVR ground.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webb /forum/post/15542820

And the last issue is the hurricane fan noise. I was wondering instead of using a 24v fan if I could use two 12 volt fans or a single 12 volt fan with a rheostat to limit the voltage.

There are plenty of EP2500 fan mod threads around. Just swap it out for a quieter aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
That is the diagram, but DON'T ground the ground at both units. Just shield one end, the amp end. Or if you do ground the shield at both ends, and get a hum, lift the ground off one end.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
I also notice humming when I plug the ep2500 in. I bought an XLR -RCA from mono price, should I crack open the XLR side and rewire it like this?

Do you happen to know if your plugs are all on the same circuit? Plugging one of your items in another outlet helps sometimes. Oh! don't worry about running your EP at full gain/attenuation. It's not like a plate-amp, generally you want it at full in running a sub. Calibrate with your AVR.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nn /forum/post/15543514

Do you happen to know if your plugs are all on the same circuit? Plugging one of your items in another outlet helps sometimes. Oh! don't worry about running your EP at full gain/attenuation. It's not like a plate-amp, generally you want it at full in running a sub. Calibrate with your AVR.

When I get home I will have much to try. The fan mod I will try two 12v fans running in a series, and the grounding issue seems possible to fix with some more trouble shooting.

However I am worried about the main issue which is the sub when I tested last night sounded faint, I felt it working (also heard the hum from it) but could never get any decent sound out of it. Changing inputs and outputs did not work, I tried an rca - 1/4 stero plug. Last I left it was with the amp in bridged mode and the gain maxed. I will swap out the Mal and plug in the older sub to see if the problem is the amp or the sub. I hope in the end it is not the sub internal wiring as opening up the sub is a real pain in the ass even with hurricane nuts! lowering the Mal x back into position and lining up the screw holes is like lowering a car engine!

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
lowering the Mal x back into position and lining up the screw holes is like lowering a car engine!

Oh man I feel your pain Webb. I pull my drivers way to often to even think of useing those! Dang I'm sorry your having the problem that your having. Do you have the SVC 4-Ohm Mae-X? If so, it's kinda hard to wire that thing wrong. Hey tell me, what do you have your gain set to on your reciever and do you have eq in the loop? If this is your first pro-amp, dont worry about turning it all the way up as you say.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My reciver on normal nights is about -25, movie time its close to about -10. I sit close to my speakers and I have a small room. About having the 4 ohm or not I have the latest batch which I read was the 4 ohm. I can recall there was only 1 set of spring loaded posts on the driver when soldering the wire to the speakbox binding post. so I think its not a wiring issue(unless I am color blind and need to check the phase when I get home)

As to the enclosure I will do a different design next time to make life easier.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts
OK I see. You speak of master volume (MV) from -10 to -25. When you say in your first post "(I sit a bit close) and the sub is +4 db" are you speaking of the separate SW gain setting on your receiver or running your sub 4dB hot? Oh yeah, you should be touting the SVC 4 then. mmm

EDIT> What did you put your driver in?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Your AVR might not give enough voltage over the sub out (RCA) connection. I have had this problem all the time with AVRs and connection to Pro amps. RCA -10dBu and XLR is +4 DBu.....you need something to increase the line level signal.

I had to buy something like a art cleanbox to boost the signal, Samson bump boxes exist too or even Behringer DSP1124 BFD products or even higher end DCX2496 will help increase the signal.

·
Registered
80 Posts
dont you need a line level converter to boost the signal coming out of home avr into the pro amp?

edit: penngray posted as I was typing. Good advice penngray. lol..

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
I have had this problem all the time with AVRs and connection to Pro amps.

Is there still quite a few that do Penn? I thought we were pretty much beyond that now. I guess since I hadn't noticed to much complaining about it.... Were the Panasonic's the biggest problem?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Is there still quite a few that do Penn? I thought we were pretty much beyond that now. I guess since I hadn't noticed to much complaining about it.... Were the Panasonic's the biggest problem?

The Pioneer AVRs seem to have the biggest problem for me.

I have a DCX now involved so I do not know if the newer AVRs cause problems but I had AVRs and Pre/pros from different manufactures always forcing me to set my sub trim to max, set my Pro amp level to max and hoping I could get some serious SPL.

Even now in my HT room my QSC 1850 needs to be set to 100% and my Denon 2809 sub level to about 8 to get serious action out of my two TC2K 15" ported subs...granted the QSC specs say only 650W into 4 ohms per channel. but my EP2500 drove my 4x18 IB array very well once I added a BFD or the Cleanbox into the mix and now I have a samson bumpbox between my Emotiva pre/pro and my FACE F1200TS amp to increase the signal levels.

·
Registered
5,828 Posts

Quote:
The Pioneer AVRs seem to have the biggest problem for me.

Yeah that's it, Pioneer!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts