AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See attached..

As of November 18, 2010, important changes to the way HDMI cable products are sold and marketed go into effect.

The following are now mandatory for cable products.

You shall not use HDMI version numbers in the labeling, packaging, or promotion of any cable product. This includes releases of the HDMI specification (for example, HDMI 1.3, etc.), interim version numbers (for example, HDMI 1.3a, etc.) and CTS (Compliance Test Specification) version numbers (for example, 1.2, 1.3c, etc.).

All cables shall be labeled, both on the cable itself and on the front of the cable packaging, with the appropriate cable name (see below). As of November 18, 2010, compliance will be mandatory.

o Standard HDMI® Cable

o Standard HDMI® Cable with Ethernet

o Standard Automotive HDMI® Cable

o High Speed HDMI® Cable

o High Speed HDMI® Cable with Ethernet

You shall label the physical cable based on the requirements listed in Section 5.2 of the Adopted Trademark and Logo Usage Guidelines.

All packaging for HDMI cables shall clearly indicate the cable type by using the Cable Type Logos shown in Section 5.3 of the Adopted Trademark and Logo Usage Guidelines.

In order to enforce the cable market and ensure that only compliant HDMI cables are sold in the market, HDMI Licensing, LLC has been working with Custom and Border Protection agencies in the US, Europe and China. These agencies will evaluate imported and exported HDMI cable products based on their compliance with all aspects of the Adopter Agreement including these latest marketing requirements. HDMI Licensing, LLC strongly recommends that all Adopters abide by these requirements in order to ensure that there is no disruption to your business.

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Apparently, HDMI.org felt they needed to do something about customer confusion, and exploitive marketing.

I would rather they put their energy into improved HDMI interoperability though

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19525400

I would rather they put their energy into improved HDMI interoperability though

Majority of HDMI interoperability issues are because certain brands do not have their products certified.. As mentioned previously, check-out www.digital-cp.com many brands/products not listed, mostly HDMI source products..

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I would not know about that. I just know people continue to have problems, and I feel badly for them, because they don't deserve them after dropping their hard earned cash.

I am not saying it's all the fault of HDMI.org. But years after HDMI was introduced, people still have many issues, and it makes me wonder what HDMI.org is doing about it. Just my own opinion that they could do more somehow. For example, what should happen when the display is powered off? Should I lose audio? Seems silly that I do. The spec does not seem very clear on specifics on how this should work when I last looked at it. Or audio drop outs from stuff like Tivo. Has HDMI.org done everything they can to work with companies to attempt to improve issues?

I obviously don't have all the facts. Just annoys me that so many problems seem to exist.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19526129

I would not know about that. I just know people continue to have problems, and I feel badly for them, because they don't deserve them after dropping their hard earned cash.

I am not saying it's all the fault of HDMI.org. But years after HDMI was introduced, people still have many issues, and it makes me wonder what HDMI.org is doing about it. Just my own opinion that they could do more somehow. For example, what should happen when the display is powered off? Should I lose audio? Seems silly that I do. The spec does not seem very clear on specifics on how this should work when I last looked at it. Or audio drop outs from stuff like Tivo. Has HDMI.org done everything they can to work with companies to attempt to improve issues?

I obviously don't have all the facts. Just annoys me that so many problems seem to exist.

Michael..

Think about it like Microsoft Windows and USB devices..

Early on, various brands were producing USB devices some worked and some didn't.. Yet everyone blamed Microsoft.

Next a number of USB certification test centers were established in various parts of the world, and the majority of USB devices were submitted for certification.. The reporting of interoperability issues dropped by 98%..

Regarding HDMI/HDCP, there are several certification test centers set up around the world...

Yet still certain brands such as Samsung, LG, Direct TV, Tivo, Apple, Motorola and Scientific Atlanta do not submit their HDMI products for certification...

Instead...

They take some short cuts to save $ and ship sooner. Note the brands above, since you are on the AVS forums quite frequently I think you can recall how often these brands are mentioned with HDMI interoperability issues..

Nuff said..

Just my $0.02...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Yes, I have noticed that some brands seem to have issues more than others. Like LG, S.A. and Tivo.

I follow your points. But is HDMI.org doing everything it can about the situation? For example, if they tracked complaints against, say, a company like LG, and suggested that if the company did not improve their compatibility, they would consider some sort of list of non compliant products? I don't know what the answer is. Just wondering if they have have done all they can about the situation.

Notably, computer cards have become much better over the years since "plug and pray" came into being. I still remember (with no fondness,) the days of compatibility issues, and messing around with IRQ settings and such. I have not had issues with a new PC card in many years.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Products not having good HDMI interoperability are big problems for the sellers because significant qtys are returned as defective..Eventually the brands pay more attention to their interoperability issues, and they start to decrease..

Notice that for the mentioned brands that their components are usually conected directly to a video display, which is much easier to match than running through an AVR with an HDMI repeater.

Regarding leverage HDMI.org has little clout with the big CE brands such as Samsung and LG..

Just my $0.02..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts