AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There the same price, I just don't know how much more you get with the 5002 over the 4002. You get a 3yr warranty with the new and a 1yr with the refurb.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'd go with the 4002 for the 3 year warranty.... I don't think you would notice that much of a difference between the 4002/5002.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I'd go for the 4003 or better yet the 5003. The low end _002 series is passe.

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
they aren't passe if you need to save money and don't need internal decoding of HD audio....

here is the comparison of the two from Marantz's website:
http://us.marantz.com/429.asp?ComProducts=SR5002,SR4002

The 5002 gives you:

1. a little more power

2. extra component video output (2 vs 1)

3. extra optical audio input on the back (3 vs 2)

4. zone2 capability (with assignable amp to power zone 2 if desired)

5. RS232 port and 12V trigger out

6. a dedicated XM port

That's it, they are otherwise IDENTICAL and should also sound identical. Both have 3 HDMI, identical auto calibration, identical video capability.

So look at that list, look at the comparison page, and decide if any of those features are worth more to you than the 3-year warranty. That is your answer, no need to bump any more....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great ! Somebody that know something about Marantz.

I am about the but the sr5002, because it is all the budget can stand, and will be getting a hell of a deal. But I am worried it might not be compatible w/my new TV (samsung hd 1080i 120hz) and the blu-ray (BDP 1500).

Do you know and what would you recommend ?

Thanks.......................

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/15498339

they aren't passe if you need to save money and don't need internal decoding of HD audio....

here is the comparison of the two from Marantz's website:
http://us.marantz.com/429.asp?ComProducts=SR5002,SR4002

The 5002 gives you:

1. a little more power

2. extra component video output (2 vs 1)

3. extra optical audio input on the back (3 vs 2)

4. zone2 capability (with assignable amp to power zone 2 if desired)

5. RS232 port and 12V trigger out

6. a dedicated XM port

That's it, they are otherwise IDENTICAL and should also sound identical. Both have 3 HDMI, identical auto calibration, identical video capability.

So look at that list, look at the comparison page, and decide if any of those features are worth more to you than the 3-year warranty. That is your answer, no need to bump any more....

I also heard the 5002 has lip syncing the 4002 doesn't. That worth it? Also what about the 6001?

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by k huntin /forum/post/15501666

Great ! Somebody that know something about Marantz.

I am about the but the sr5002, because it is all the budget can stand, and will be getting a hell of a deal. But I am worried it might not be compatible w/my new TV (samsung hd 1080i 120hz) and the blu-ray (BDP 1500).

The SR5002 needs a blu-ray player that can decode the new audio codecs and output PCM over HDMI or analog. Your BDP 1500 can decode TrueHD but not DTS-HD, so you'll have to decide if that limitation is acceptable.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Looking into the SR4002 or actually my dad is to replace an old Harman Kardon stereo receiver. It's mostly for listening to (his) music, but it'll also benefit me since I've ran out of HDMI inputs on the TV (only has 2). I was just wondering how it'll mesh with my gear. I've currently got a PS3 (HDMI) and a Popcorn Hour A-110 (HDMI), albeit the Popcorn Hour will soon be replaced by an HTPC (HDMI).

What type of audio inputs does it accept via HDMI? LPCM 5.1, LPCM 7.1, DD 5.1, DTS 7.1, etc? Thanks!

·
Registered
30,166 Posts
4002/5002 takes everything up to 7.1 PCM over HDMI, and of course all legacy audio (like DD/DTS). It doesn't decode the new HD audio codecs (TrueHD, DTS-MA, DD+)

they are a perfect match for the PS3 since the PS3 decodes all of the HD audio for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts