AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stargate cinema has a new marque available. What seems to be great about it is the price. Much cheaper than others I've seen. Pretty decent size, too.

But all they have is a rather digital looking picture on the website. It doesn't much look like a photo, so I'm curious as to what these really look like.

Here's a link just put the www. infront.

stargatecinema.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=33&cat=6&page=1

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Wow! Great find! Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I ordered one last week. Although the print ad in HTB does not say so, extra lettering is available, including sound logos. You have to call for details. I ordered one, an I don't have any space to place it right now! Yet, I couldn't resist.

They're out of them right now, so there's probably going to be a few weeks wait.

Gary

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool Gary,

If you can, please take a few pictures of it and post them. Does the add in HTB have an actual photo? Might have to make a trip to my B & N.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Lawdawg,

It is the same one....That is mine alright...but I paid considerably less than your posts. My post doesn't show the top plastic insert that comes with them....Amazing the pricing differences between them...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool. Now to try and finagle one of these from the wife.... "Honey, I know we don't have nice furniture in the living room yet, but......" ;)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I don't think that you can beat $99! Check around that house for jars of quarters and don't forget to look between the sofa cushions!

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
My wife ordered one of these from Stargate Cinema soon after it was described in this thread. It was to be a present for my birthday.

As my birthday neared, she called and asked what had happened to her order. The owner described how he was waiting on the lettering sets to be delivered to him and as such, the signs were on back-order. When my wife described how the sign she ordered was for my birthday, Stargate Cinema agreed to ship the sign as soon as possible.

Well... the sign arrived one day after my birthday, with a note apologizing for a temporary set of letters (printed on cardboard stock) and stating the permanent letters made of styrene plastic would be shipped to us as soon as he got them from his supplier.

I know Stargate went out of their way to get the sign to me for my birthday present. They deserve a note of thanks for that gesture, they went out of their way to expedite shipping.

The sign itself is of very high quality. My wife and I have picked a spot for it in the stairway leading down to our theater. I'll post a picture of it once I get it installed.

Joe L.

(A very happy, and slightly older, birthday boy)

PS. I see Stargate is running a sale on the Add-On lettering set while the sign is back-ordered. It might be a good time to order if you were considering the purchase.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
J.L.,

Knowing your talents, I'm surprised you didn't make one yourself!! I need to move mine in the stairwell so I'm anxious to see where you placed yours. That way I can steal your ticket booth idea and put it at the bottom of the steps...:)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I received my marquee yesterday and couldn't be more pleased. It's really an excellent deal and I too am looking forward to when the final letter sets ship. Until then, the temporary sets are fine.

I bought a set of mirror holders from Lowe's today (Hillman: part number 121144) and the "art deco" look of the holders keeps the marquee firmly on the wall without detracting from the appeal of the marquee.

Gary

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Attached is a picture I took of the Stargate Cinema Marquee leaning against my stage.

I put a DVD along side so you can get an idea of its size. My wife used the temporary cardboard letter set to display the evening's movie and it looks great. I know we are going to have a lot of fun with this.

This weekend I'll get a chance to mount it in my stairway and I'll post another image at that time.

HeyNow,

Thanks for the compliment...

Even though I am a DIY'er at heart, this marquee would be very difficult to duplicate at home unless you were equipped with a very fine toothed scroll saw, a lot of plexiglass in milk-white, red, and gold, and a steady hand while making the cuts, polishing the edges of the cut pieces, and doing the assembly. The red letters and the gold border are each made of plexiglas pieces glued to the milk-white back.

I doubt if I could duplicate it for a lot less than offered at Stargate once all the materials were purchased. If you count in your time, it would be impossible, even if you paid yourself minimum wage. Besides... this was a perfect birthday gift.

Joe L.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Does anyone know how long the expected backorders should take?

Good price, good looking and small :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Bob - I emailed a response to your message sent to our support email, but I wanted to elaborate the same message here since other may have the same question.

Gary - Thanks for the tip on the mirror clips. I may be ordering those in bulk. ;)

Joe - Happy (belated) Birthday. I'm very glad to hear that you like the gift from your wife. Sorry for being a day late with delivery. :(

Hello All,

I just wanted to make this post to bring everyone up to speed with the Feature Marquee.

We are producing the Feature Marquee in-house, but we had sub contracted the screen printing of the letter packs. As it turns out, we shot ourselves in the foot again by giving the project to a local 3rd party company who cannot seem to deliver. We were supposed to have the printed sheets of lettering at the end of September.

As soon as we realized that this situation was getting out of hand, we decided to produce the temporary card stock sets and ship them with the marquee to avoid further delays. Once we get the final letter sheets, we will ship them to everyone who has received the temp sets. We had hoped that the issues with our 3rd party screen printing buddies would be solved soon, because I called them on Tuesday to get an update, and I was told that our pieces would ship the next day. However, the next day, I got a call from them and was told that they were having trouble opening the artwork files that I sent them a month ago! Hmmm, how can they ship our complete order if they can't even get the art work to open? Oh well, 'nuff said. Done with you. Buh by now.

Today, I ordered the required equipment to get this job done in-house. It means allot more work for us, but at least we will have 100% control over the production. I ordered everything via FedEx Overnight, so this weekend, I will be very setting up a new production station. While I cannot make any promises, It is my full intention to begin shipping the final letter sets by early to mid week next week (assuming there are no other surprises around the corner).

I have talked to many of you over the phone or via email. I must say thank you for your patience and understanding. We are just getting into the actual manufacturing process of these new products, and our processes will require some fine tuning over the next few weeks. What is most important to us is

1. making everyone aware of the delay

2. keeping everyone up to date with the status

3. getting your feedback on not only the final product, but your experience with the whole process.

I'm going to cut it short here because FedEx just delivered a bunch of stuff that I need to tend to. I'll keep everyone posted with updates.

Sincerely,

Adam Groth

P.S. I am sincerely flattered to see the photos and kind comments about our marquee.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used the first line of the marquee to advertise my Oktoberfest film weekend when my old college buddy arrives (probably within the next few minutes) and for a few friends tomorrow. I'm showing Identity, Blade II, and Wasabi tonight.

The German Oktoberfest band is playing in the background now and the Brine OktoberChicken is on the grill. Did I mention the brew of preference?

Gary

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.