AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Most of my MKVs are DTS-HD, and as I understand it, I can not have the PC decode the DTS-HD track and output lossless, right?

I have a Denon 4306 as my AVR, and it does not support DTS-HD or TrueHD bitstream.

I want to use Media Browser as my front end in MCE and need a seemless solution. The MKVs play great and output in lossless 5.1 within VLC player.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
If your receiver cannot play lossless audio then being able to output it makes no difference.

Can it accept 5 or 7 channel analog?

What you will do is output your audio to it, and it will only decode the Dolby Digital or DTS audio track.

My receiver cannot play HD audio formats either. I got MKVs working with Shark007 codecs.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
PC can decode DTS-HD MA/HRA (and TrueHD/DD+) in the MKV (and M2TS) container bit-perfect. Use LAV Splitter + LAV Audio Decoder + dtsdecoderdll.dll (included in TMT) or LAV Splitter + ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD + a bunch of dlls in included in TMT ( this post ).

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 /forum/post/20842809

have a look at this guide.

http://www.missingremote.com/guide/g...sless-audio-pc

The article has nothing to do with decoding DTS-HD audio track in MKV in real time. It was written in 2009, when converting DTS-HD to FLAC by eac3to + ArcSoft Audio Decoder HD and creating a MKV with FLAC was the only solution.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 /forum/post/20843559

Just a FYI,

the LAV splitters and decoders (including cuvid) are distributed with the Shark codecs

making their use in Media Center or WMP a single click option.

Shark - I tried using your pack, but it won't allow playback via WMP. With your pack, I assume TrueHD and DTS-HD are decoded using LAV. What are the best settings? I tried "Use Shark's Recommended settings".

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, I started from scratch and am using GreenEyez recommended settings for Shark's codec pack.

I can get SOME MKVs to play in MCE, but not all. I get the dreaded "Cannot Play Video: media center cannot open the file" message. However, ALL MKVs play through WMP.

As an aside, am I to assume that by enabling LAV through Sharks pack, I will get TrueHD and DTS-HD via PCM?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckg1999 /forum/post/20854753

So, I started from scratch and am using GreenEyez recommended settings for Shark's codec pack.

I can get SOME MKVs to play in MCE, but not all. I get the dreaded "Cannot Play Video: media center cannot open the file" message. However, ALL MKVs play through WMP.

As an aside, am I to assume that by enabling LAV through Sharks pack, I will get TrueHD and DTS-HD via PCM?

I recently changed the guide to the LAV Splitters instead of Gabest for MKV, is that what you are using?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Try the gabest splitter instead and see if it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Would a complete reformat fix the issue? It seems that the cause are incorrect codecs somewhere buried in the system. Would love to wipe out all codecs and then reinstall Shark's to see if that works.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
It's been a while since I've screwed around getting the settings right, but try this:

first question is did you install the Shark x64 add on tool? That would explain why you can play in media player but not media center.

Look at see which videos play vs do not play. I remember that AVC/h264 coded video played fine but VC1 (like from my hd-dvds) did not. I feel like I had to change something on the swap tab to get the VC1 codec working.

I found this internet post I made a long time ago on the subject. I am not sure if this is still how I have this set or not (I do not believe I still have DMO codecs shut off but I am not home to look).

"From my experience any bluray masted with Microsoft's VC1 Codec (as opposed to h264) and then put into an MKV file will not play correctly (The Dark Knight for example and I think all of my HD-DVDs). The reason I gather is that the video part of the file is trying to use Microsoft's decoder but the container is causing problems. In Windows Media Player those files would play audio but just have a blank screen.

My solution was to shut off DMO codecs and tell FFDShow to decode anything WVC1 on Shark007"

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33
It's been a while since I've screwed around getting the settings right, but try this:

first question is did you install the Shark x64 add on tool? That would explain why you can play in media player but not media center.

Look at see which videos play vs do not play. I remember that AVC/h264 coded video played fine but VC1 (like from my hd-dvds) did not. I feel like I had to change something on the swap tab to get the VC1 codec working.
I am running W7 32-bit, so I assume the 64-bit codec pack does not apply.

Some of my MKVs are VC1, so that may explain the problem. Will research some more. Thanks for the added insight.

Also, with Sharks pack, by enabling LAV, any tracks that are DTS-MA/TrueHD will be converted to LPCM, correct?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
LAV Audio Decoder itself does not decode DTS-HD MA/HRA. You will need dtsdecoderdll.dll from TMT3/5. I don't know how to configure Shark.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx
LAV Audio Decoder itself does not decode DTS-HD MA/HRA. You will need dtsdecoderdll.dll from TMT3/5. I don't know how to configure Shark.
So, is the BEST course of action for me to follow in order to get TrueHD / DTS-MA converted to LPCM and playable through MediaBrowser (MCE) is to use MPC-HC, by following the instructions earlier in the thread?

Ideally, I would like to have it play through MCE (WMP) rather than MPC-HC.

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
LAV Audio Decoder works with any DirectShow player such as MPC-HC, WMP and WMC. Just place dtsdecoderdll.dll in the folder C:\\Program Files\\LAV Filters\\x86. If you install ffdshow, lower the merit value of ffdshow Audio Decoder (otherwise LAV Audio Decoder won't be loaded in WMP/WMC). If you use Shark, you should be able to do this in its control panel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by renethx
LAV Audio Decoder works with any DirectShow player such as MPC-HC, WMP and WMC. Just place dtsdecoderdll.dll in the folder C:\\Program Files\\LAV Filters\\x86. If you install ffdshow, lower the merit value of ffdshow Audio Decoder (otherwise LAV Audio Decoder won't be loaded in WMP/WMC). If you use Shark, you should be able to do this in its control panel.
So, don't I still need to follow the instructions here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post19370583

Or just throw the individual DLL file in the LAV filters folder

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.