AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be a new Preamplifier on the Mcintosh site. Comes with two 6 channel inputs. also has some other nice features but no surround processing. This is a perfect solution for someone with built in decoders in their dvd players and universal players (like mine)

List is 3600. My rep says 3000 out the door which is a good deal for McIntosh equipment.

Is it worth that? What do you think the longevity for a piece like this will be? Does anyone else think this product is a geat idea?

It sure seems to fit the bill for a pure"ist" approach to home theater.

i would like to get thoughts on this. Is it jsut me? or is this a one of a kind product?

danny

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else have anything to say about this piece?

Im interested in thoughts on it from a purist standpoint.....

·
Registered
662 Posts
I haven't seen this piece, but this is a trend with some of the high-end companies who are coming out with pure analog multi-channel preamps. Bel Canto and McCormack have similar offerings for the audiophile purist who wants to keep his HT separate from his audio by using external processors. As long as you have a good DVD player that does all the internal processing for HT (and a separate CD/SACD/etc for the 2nd set of inputs) this might be the ticket for those inclined. It's not a bad idea because instead of dumping the whole pre/pro as standards change, you only have to change the source players.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I am so happy to see more of these products come to market. I have always believed it's better to let your source component handle the software decoding. Keeping digital and video signals away from low level switching and attenuation is ALWAYS a good thing.

Thanks for listening McIntosh

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
The only problem is if you have more than one digital souce (HDTV and DTV cable) It cost another 1k to get a unit DAC from MSB that will decode Dolby and DTS. I have been looking at the Bel Canto for some time and am hoping that a future Universal player will feature digital inputs.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I used to be a fan of Mac,but faded out when Clarion bought them andtheir quality in amps seemed to be going downward. Are you guys finding that their gear is coming backup? The last few HT processors seemed inferior in price to their segment, and expensive at the same time to me, so while I hope they get back to where they used to be, haven't seen that as of a year or so ago.

Did you find their quality to also drop in the last 5 years, or did you just think they are business as usual through this? I am thinking of eventually going to a 2 channel 2nd room, and I used to havetheir 600 x 2 into 4 ohm unit, and I did like the sound of that at the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.