Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys!

A new P19LCP straight from VDC Florida; probably some debris in the gun; I have been advised to short each gun pin to ground with the neckboard off, and another idea was to put 24 volts from the cathode pin to a heater pin. The third idea was face the tube straight down and tap on the end to loosen the debris. Any other proven ideas from the crowd? Yes, the neckboard tests good in another projector.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm not sure what VDC's policy is, but personally, if I bought a tube (new or rebuilt) and it had a problem, I would send it back.

That being said, we did fix an old monitor with the third method. It took several good solid drops (complete monitor, face down, about 1 ft drops onto carpet) to dislodge whatever was the problem. :)

- David

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Tim,

On first fire up I ramp my contrast up or G2 a few times. The object is to vaporize the impurity instead of fusing it.

I have also used a rejuvinator to clear but its not suppose to be a common practice on projection tubes.

If it doesnt clear in a few attempts Id send back and save the HVPS or surface resistors on the neck board.

I find some 'snapping' can last up to 30-40 hrs before clearing totally in some cases. Gravity is a known problem when going from a table top configuration to ceiling.

When I store a new tube for any period of time I actually rotate the box with good results.

The downfall to clearing a impurity is if it doesnt vaporize totally and spits it to the phosphor coating then takes the hit, called 'flashing the tube' and a permanent burnt mark. Doug

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Say Doug

This thing is almost a runaway and I fear burning the phosphor with beam running.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You paid for a working product, why in heavens name would you accept yet another exmple of VDC's negligable quality control ?? What is the point of that ? Send it back. Jeez, they MAKE the projectors, you'd think they could at least CHECK the damn tubes before they sent them out ?? A little care is too much to ask ??

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Tim,

Try turning down the G2 and see if its just overdriven. Are you getting the diag back raster or is it running full on with no control? Doug

Look into the gun insulators and see if they are the same color as the other tubes.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul

It's a new Matsushita tube that probably got tumbled in shipment, doesn't happen often. Doug, this thing runs hard even with Drive/G2s at zero; I'll make sure the G2 is running correctly and probably get this replaced.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I just went through this with a really great 180DVB22 tube in my new BG808. Tried all of the techniques mentioned and even sent it down to techman707 for a ride on his Sencor CR-7000. Nothing helped.

Raster was up with full tracelines no matter what I did to the settings on the PJ or the tube itself.

I installed a rebuild from VDC last week and it works perfectly.

If it were me, I'd give Charlie a call and arrange for a replacement. Given how well VDC packs its tubes, I'm surprised it got damaged in shipment, but I'm sure VDC will send you a new one at no charge.

- Jerry

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Jerry,

Im not so sure they tested this one.

I have had shorted tubes before, one that broke as soon as it was turned on at the bell and it took out the deflection yoke in the process, the gun was the culprut on that one.

Some are bound to get through even in factory production. Charlie has always made good on anything I have received from him so Id have to say thats a plus, we have very few options left and Im glad he's there to work with us. Doug

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys!

It's a New Tube out of Florida and they are sending a replacement, just costs me shipping is all.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.