AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I currently have a HP MediaSmart server which I'm having some trouble with. I think I need to start looking for a replacement and I'm having some trouble digesting all of this. I hope this post isn't too rambly, but I hope its good enough to bring some comments or suggestions.

My first priority is a place to store, safely, with some sort of redundancy, music, movies, photos, etc. I like in WHS that I was able to chose which folders were duplicated. I'd also like to be able to support IP cameras and some storage of those pics/videos. Also, I'd like the ability to stream from this device - Plex?

Right now I've got a couple of Chromecasts around the house and they get us most of what we need. We don't stream a whole lot from my personal media, but I think having the capability to run Plex would be great.

Synology - I hear nothing but good about their products. The have a version of Plex and they also have the camera pack, although this costs $50 per camera it seems. I only plan to have a couple cameras in the future, so that's probably not a dealbreaker. My main hangup however, is I believe the min unit that will transcode via Plex is the 412+ and this seems to be around $600. Now I'm not entirely sure I need transcoding, but I'd like to have the option available so I don't get stuck later.

DIY - maybe something like the HP Proliniant Microservers? They seem to be pretty popular. Of course, you can run Plex here. I'm still reading up on unRaid, FlexRaid, FreeNAS. I suppose if I put FlexRaid on top of WIndows, then I could use Blue Iris for the cameras. But I'm not sure FreeNas, which looks pretty cool, would support the cameras. The HP N54L has a 2.5GHx CPU which I think is good enough for Plex Transcoding? Nice thing is this unit is about half the price as the Synology 412+.

Again, you can see I'm all over the place and I would appreciate some advice from those who've been here.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck  /t/1501411/new-media-server-build-vs-synology#post_23989995

Hi all, I currently have a HP MediaSmart server which I'm having some trouble with. I think I need to start looking for a replacement and I'm having some trouble digesting all of this. I hope this post isn't too rambly, but I hope its good enough to bring some comments or suggestions.

My first priority is a place to store, safely, with some sort of redundancy, music, movies, photos, etc. I like in WHS that I was able to chose which folders were duplicated. I'd also like to be able to support IP cameras and some storage of those pics/videos. Also, I'd like the ability to stream from this device - Plex?

Right now I've got a couple of Chromecasts around the house and they get us most of what we need. We don't stream a whole lot from my personal media, but I think having the capability to run Plex would be great.

Synology - I hear nothing but good about their products. The have a version of Plex and they also have the camera pack, although this costs $50 per camera it seems. I only plan to have a couple cameras in the future, so that's probably not a dealbreaker. My main hangup however, is I believe the min unit that will transcode via Plex is the 412+ and this seems to be around $600. Now I'm not entirely sure I need transcoding, but I'd like to have the option available so I don't get stuck later.

DIY - maybe something like the HP Proliniant Microservers? They seem to be pretty popular. Of course, you can run Plex here. I'm still reading up on unRaid, FlexRaid, FreeNAS. I suppose if I put FlexRaid on top of WIndows, then I could use Blue Iris for the cameras. But I'm not sure FreeNas, which looks pretty cool, would support the cameras. The HP N54L has a 2.5GHx CPU which I think is good enough for Plex Transcoding? Nice thing is this unit is about half the price as the Synology 412+.

Again, you can see I'm all over the place and I would appreciate some advice from those who've been here.

Really depends on platform. I used an HP microserver with unraid for a while, just replaced with rack mount server/HTPC. built with Asus Haswell MB, i7-4771, 16GB RAM and upto 15 drives (currently 10). All on Windows 8.1 and flexraid because i use as HTPC and light streaming to another room. Crashplan backs it all up, but will also deploy my old unraid server as local backup in detached garage. (I use SiliconDust tuners). It;'s high spec and without drives was about $1,000.

I hear good things about synology, but I'm more comfortable trusting my data to something I can just connect to a regular PC in event of failure (and all the tools available)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, thanks for the thoughts.

Been doing some more reading and I might be interested in a cheaper Synology NAS and then a Mac mini or Intel NUC for a Plex server/client that sits hooked up to the living room TV. Maybe that gets me the best of both worlds.

I'm trying to keep it simple. We don't have a lot of media and I don't want to get caught up into building these huge, monsterous PC to support my pretty basic needs.

·
Registered
609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck  /t/1501411/new-media-server-build-vs-synology#post_23998412

Mark, thanks for the thoughts.

Been doing some more reading and I might be interested in a cheaper Synology NAS and then a Mac mini or Intel NUC for a Plex server/client that sits hooked up to the living room TV. Maybe that gets me the best of both worlds.

I'm trying to keep it simple. We don't have a lot of media and I don't want to get caught up into building these huge, monsterous PC to support my pretty basic needs.

My server build was my first ever. It's pretty simple these days and many sites sell combo's

I use a mac mini (running windows) in the master bed. That was my HTPC until I built the combined server/HTPC. Bought the mini about 4 years ago, because at the time it was the only thing that was small, silent and had necessary components for HTPC. The new Haswell NUC's (and others) now offer that and building your own would be easy

·
Registered
3,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_anderson_u  /t/1501411/new-media-server-build-vs-synology/0_50#post_23995844

I hear good things about synology, but I'm more comfortable trusting my data to something I can just connect to a regular PC in event of failure (and all the tools available)

Synology uses Linux Software RAID. As long as you have enough drive slots available you can always recover from a PC. Instructions here:

http://www.synology.com/en-global/support/faq/579

1 - 5 of 5 Posts