AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read through lots of posts but it always seemed that people were doing much more with these servers then I was going to do at this point. What I want to do is rip all of my DVD movies down to a server, home videos and pictures and be able to pull them up from any TV in the house. I want to start with 4 TV's and I will have a computer at each of these TV's. I was hoping to use Windows Home Server and use Windows Media Center as the interface with a remote control. I was looking for something that could hold atleast 3 hard drives, size being around 1.5 to 2 TB each. So would need adequate cooling. I was thinking about buying the HP Mediasmart Server http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-562-_-Product I was going to upgrade the processor and maybe the memory. I was hoping with the knowledge in this forum if there are alternatives or maybe a better setup for what I am trying to do. Thanks a ton for you time

·
Registered
7,909 Posts
I don't see the point in buying an HP WHS when you can build one so cheaply that already has the proper power. I built mine with case, power supply, Athlon X4 processor, 4 GB of RAM, two 2TB hard drives (used an old drive I already had for boot), motherboard, etc. for less than that (about $450).

You can do an unRaid for even less, which works great if you are only sharing files. I have mine doing my transcoding to my PS3 (PMS, PlayOn, etc.) and performing other tasks as well, so WHS was a good fit for me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So from what your saying building one ground up is cheaper? I would still install WHS on it after? When your saying unraid server this is where the it dumps data never on a specific drive? Just copies it randomly to a drive?

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ0214 /forum/post/19654133

So from what your saying building one ground up is cheaper?

it can be, but like all things in life, depends on what you need/want...

Quote:

I would still install WHS on it after?

if you want too...

Quote:

When your saying unraid server this is where the it dumps data never on a specific drive? Just copies it randomly to a drive?

it can do that, sort of, it is not random, it writes to the drive with the most amount of free space... or it can fill up one drive at a time... depends on what you tell it to do... or you can purposely write to a particular drive if you like...

unRAID is a very nice storage solution for home media use... only the drive that contains the movie you want to watch 'spins' up so better electricity usage and maybe HDD life than some other solutions... also unRAID has a parity drive, so if one HDD fails you can just swap in a new HDD and hit restore...

for the 4 TV's thing, you sure really want to build/maintain 4 (or more) PC's?

how much do 4 htpc's cost?

as an alternative, have you looked at SageTV + HD300 extenders ?
  • you get a full feature PVR with auto commercial skip
  • Movies
  • pictures
  • music
  • pause a movie/TV in room A, go to Room B and pick up where you left off...
  • the HD300's are only $150 ea, can you even build a HTPC for $150? a windows license is like $100... doesn't leave much room for Hardware...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshDorhyke /forum/post/19654448

unRAID is an operating system you use instead of WHS and costs about $140.

um, no it doesn't...

its

Basic $0 (3 HDD's)

Plus $69 (6 HDD's)

Pro $119 (20 HDD's)

$149 will get you the 2 key pro pack, but why would he need 2 unRAID servers?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
unRAID and WHS both do 2 things that are unique -

1. combine multiple hard drives of various sizes into a single pool

2. keep the data on the drives in native format so its readable without the OS (this is what separates them from other solutions that do #1 like Raid)

To protect the data they have different paths

- WHS uses data duplication

- unRaid uses a parity drive, using which it can rebuild data loss on 1 drive

HW requirements for unRaid are smaller, it runs from a usb drive. WHS has additional features like computer backups and streaming.

For multi room streaming, do you need live tv or just movies, picrures and tv shows stored on a server? If no live tv, then you can just pick up any simple media streamer device (they are ~100) or even an Xbox arcade instead of building an HTPC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts