AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I as my first post I would like to say hello to all members. This seems to be the largest most active forum on the net in regard to A/V.

I currently use a Sony Wega 32†XBR for my primary display (About 2 years Old)

…Don’t laugh I live in an apartment! My distance to the screen is about 13’.

I am in search of a 32-36†HDTV with at least two sets of component video inputs. I also require that the unit have a VGA or DVI for use as an occasional video monitor… Yes, Yes I know plasma would be perfect… I had saved the money for a plasma, but now have run into a problem that restricts my budget to around $3000 or less retail. As you probably noticed the size of my room is an issue, and therefore so is depth. I was thinking about A DLP unit (do they make them smaller then 42â€) I would prefer not to spend extra for a built it decoder.

Please… No, a desperate please… helps me find some first rate boxes to check out that fit my needs.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Well there's the 37" panny plasma for 3200 from plasmaextreme. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=197411 has a few more details. Or, like I recommended to the other in that thread with a 3K limit, if you can swing an extra 700, then the 42" Panny plasma is a great deal. Only one set of component inputs, and 1 VGA though, so that is a little skimpy for your requirements.

I suspect if you post on the DLP forum you will get more advice about DLP options.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Just for you,

Panny 37" plasma(some places as low as $2900).no dvi but it does have vga.Killer plasma and just right for apartment living.Good luck BM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn it guys :) I was hoping to stick to the low end of my budget! I suppose i could start digging for one on eBay and find it for a little less.

It would seem this unit is only capable of 480p which to me is really not acceptable.

http://www.prodcat.panasonic.com/sho...ategoryId=2711

Don’t get me wrong I REALLY WANT A PLASMA!!! And have always drooled over them since they were 15k. I had $6000 all saved up for one, then BAM wrong place wrong time… my attorney now has my plasma fund :( Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Don't worry about the 480p. Just because the resolution is 480p does not mean that picture will be found lacking. There is a concensus that a HD picture on these sets is absolutely wonderful. It would certainly blow away any "HDTV Ready" RPTV or CRT. It has actually been the source of some lengthy dicussions: "why does an HD picture look so great on these when in theory their resolution will be a limiting factor?"

The one time when res comes into play is for PC use. 852x480 is just not a very big windows desktop.

I have mentioned this before, but I don't think a DLP can act comfortably as a TV. As a home theatre, FP is a truly viable option; there is no replacement for that kind of size. But as a TV, I don't see it working out well. At 7:00 am with the sun shining in, when you're eating at the breakfast table, do you want to throw on a TV to get the weather, or fire up your Home Theatre?...

Edit: Almost forgot... For heaven's sake, save yourself a huge headache and avoid ebay. It seems the vast majority of plasmas on ebay are scams.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Last time I looked ebay was giving away plasmas - Figure the validity out on that offer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.