AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I as my first post I would like to say hello to all members. This seems to be the largest most active forum on the net in regard to A/V.

I currently use a Sony Wega 32†XBR for my primary display (About 2 years Old)

…Don’t laugh I live in an apartment! My distance to the screen is about 13’.

I am in search of a 32-36†HDTV with at least two sets of component video inputs. I also require that the unit have a VGA or DVI port for use as an occasional video monitor… Yes, Yes I know plasma would be perfect… I had saved the money for a plasma, but now have run into a problem that restricts my budget to around $3000 or less retail. As you probably noticed the size of my room is an issue, and therefore so is depth. I was thinking about A DLP unit (do they make them smaller then 42â€) I would prefer not to spend extra for a built it decoder.

Please… No, a desperate please… help me find some first rate boxes to check out that fit my needs.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by GoFastMan
First off I as my first post I would like to say hello to all members. This seems to be the largest most active forum on the net in regard to A/V.

I currently use a Sony Wega 32†XBR for my primary display (About 2 years Old)

…Don’t laugh I live in an apartment! My distance to the screen is about 13’.

I am in search of a 32-36†HDTV with at least two sets of component video inputs. I also require that the unit have a VGA for use as an occasional video monitor… Yes, Yes I know plasma would be perfect… I had saved the money for a plasma, but now have run into a problem that restricts my budget to around $3000 or less retail. As you probably noticed the size of my room is an issue, and therefore so is depth. I was thinking about A DLP unit (do they make them smaller then 42â€)
I think DLPs are rear projectors. So you may want to look in on that forum and post there, too.

Phil

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK I am heavily leaning towards the KV-36XBR800 36" XBR Do any of you know if i can use the DVI-HDTV interface as the input from my PC? Please let me know.

If so ho did the Picture from the HTPC wind up looking?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
I am in search of a 32-36†HDTV with at least two sets of component video inputs. I also require that the unit have a VGA or DVI port for use as an occasional video monitor.
I'm very happy with my Sony KV-36HS500. Sony makes several other sets that satisfy your requirements: the KV-36XBR800, the KV-34XBR800 (16:9), the KV-32HS500, and the KV-32HV600. The JVC AV-36P903 also fulfills the requirements.

When shopping, I couldn't find the JVC anywhere to compare it to the Sony models, so I can't speak to it's picture nor overall quality. I've been involved in plenty of threads comparing the 36HS500 to the 36XBR800 and the 34XBR800, so you can use the forum's search function to search for posts by me to quickly find those threads.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
OK I am heavily leaning towards the KV-36XBR800 36" XBR Do any of you know if i can use the DVI-HDTV interface as the input from my PC? Please let me know.
Yes, you can. The resolution is pretty limited, though, and you'll probably need to use PowerStrip. The closest standard resolution you can actually achieve (that's not limited by the dot pitch) will be 640x480. You could do 800x600, but you'll get a little bit of blurring. Probably fine for games, but not so hot for text.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Out of curiosity Is the text on icons and such blurry at 640*480? The only reason i will be using the unit as a monitor will likely be for video games or VCD/SVCD playback. I have a progressive scan DVD player already... I can’t wait!

I’ve got my scope on one on eBay i can pick up on the location for $1600 New in the box.

OK... wait a second, IS the only difference between the XBR and the 36" HS the lame sound system?!? Forgive me, what is the difference?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Out of curiosity Is the text on icons and such blurry at 640*480?
Not exactly. It's just that the pixels are really big. It makes for a different kind of visual fatigue, but it's visual fatigue nonetheless.

Quote:

I’ve got my scope on one on eBay i can pick up on the location for $1600 New in the box.
I strongly recomment making sure Sony will honor the warranty. There is a lot that can go wrong on CRTs.

Quote:

OK... wait a second, IS the only difference between the XBR and the 36" HS the lame sound system?!? Forgive me, what is the difference?
No, the XBR has Adjustable DRC and a higher bandwidth video amplifier. I've gone into what these will actually do for you before (I think in a thread titled something like "KV36HS500 vs KV36XBR800"), so I won't go into it all again here since it'd be easier for you to just search for that thread.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.