AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day fellow audiophiles. I'm having some issues with the sound output of my system. My amp is a sweet Denon AVR 5805 paired with Klipsch KG 4 as mains. HT sounds awesome and I couldn't be happier, but music playback at higher volumes is the problem. The horn tweeters are a bit harsh. I thought it was possibly the speakers, so I switched to some slightly newer KG 4.2 and the problem persists. Low to moderate volume is fine, but high volume is not. I'm not hearing distortion, but just very shrill and harsh highs. Is this a result of the amp or the speakers? Should I consider changing one or both? I really like the look of the Klipsch and the Denon has amazing surround processing. I'm just frustrated at this point...

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
It's the speakers...Klipsch horn tweeters aren't for everyone.

( I would be in that crowd) Changing out the denon won't change

The sound of the speakers. Have you tried turning down the treble?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I lowered the treble level, and still the harshness persists. I thought about calling Denon and asking about further adjustments. For the most part, I really enjoy the Klipsch. But, on occasion, I like to listen to music at high volumes and that's where I encounter unsavory performance.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Do you have a lot of reflective surfaces in your listening

Area? Ie: hardwood floors, large glass windows? The high

Freqs can bounce around a bit causing harshness.

Did you run the Audyssey set up on your Denon,

This can help with some reflective surfaces.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any Suggestions for speakers?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Probably in the $1500 range. I'm perplexed as the speakers sound great when playing through my old Kenwood KA 601. I can crank the volume and the horns sound wonderful. Perhaps Denon would have some insights?

Thanks for your comments.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scritton  /t/1522116/new-member-in-need-of-help#post_24472263

Probably in the $1500 range. I'm perplexed as the speakers sound great when playing through my old Kenwood KA 601. I can crank the volume and the horns sound wonderful. Perhaps Denon would have some insights?

What sort of (measured) SPLs are you listening at?

When is the last time you used the Kenwood KA 601?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

No, playback via rca inputs on rear panel using a bluetooth steaming device. Perhaps that's the issue? I have the option of running a long rca cable directly to my music source.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Not too sure, but I did experience the same issue you were having with loud music playing on Klipsch KG 3.2's using the front aux on a Denon.  Once I switched the rca to the back (I think CD) everything was fine.  I would try different inputs or sources especially if all sounds good using the Kenwood.  

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scritton  /t/1522116/new-member-in-need-of-help#post_24472324

No, playback via rca inputs on rear panel using a bluetooth steaming device. Perhaps that's the issue? I have the option of running a long rca cable directly to my music source.

Bluetooth streaming device??? What are your music sources that you stream?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

iPhone, iPad, and iMac desktop computer.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scritton  /t/1522116/new-member-in-need-of-help#post_24472506

iPhone, iPad, and iMac desktop computer.

Your music source?? Pandora,iTunes Radio,iTunes purchases or CD's ripped into iTunes. Etc,etc

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Oh, sorry. Yes, iTunes music from varying sources such as purchased music and CDs, Tunein Radio, iTunes Radio, Slacker and Spotify.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scritton  /t/1522116/new-member-in-need-of-help#post_24472784

Oh, sorry. Yes, iTunes music from varying sources such as purchased music and CDs, Tunein Radio, iTunes Radio, Slacker and Spotify.

I would try a hard wired connection,bypass the Bluetooth device.

Internet music (tunein radio, slacker &Spotify) are generally very

Low quality bitsreams. iTunes Radio is getting good reviews for their quality.

I use an Apple TV to listen to the above type sources. Via HDMI and my

Wi-fi network.

I still think it is your speakers for the most part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So, to isolate the speaker playback issue, I played a cd in my DVD player (hard wired via optical) and then compared the same song that was on my computer playing via Bluetooth and the problem was immediately clear. It's the cheap Bluetooth streaming device. I thought the device would be a good solution for my wife and friends who regularly want to play tunes from their devices, but at the end of the day, the sound quality is noticeably lacking. My next step will be to order the Audioengine DAC and hard wire it from my computer to the Denon.

Thanks for the insights!

·
Registered
3,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scritton  /t/1522116/new-member-in-need-of-help#post_24477784

So, to isolate the speaker playback issue, I played a cd in my DVD player (hard wired via optical) and then compared the same song that was on my computer playing via Bluetooth and the problem was immediately clear. It's the cheap Bluetooth streaming device. I thought the device would be a good solution for my wife and friends who regularly want to play tunes from their devices, but at the end of the day, the sound quality is noticeably lacking. My next step will be to order the Audioengine DAC and hard wire it from my computer to the Denon.

Thanks for the insights!

Glad to hear it was the Bluetooth!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts