AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between two 84" screens at Dell. I can only choose between these two. I realize they're not the best, but it'll (probably) be accompanying a Dell 1100MP projector. Mostly night viewing; maybe some day. White walls in my room.

Da-Lite 84-inch Model B Pull-Down Projection Screen

OR

DRAPER 84-inch Luma NTSC Projection Screen]

Please note that price does not matter when it comes to either of these screens, since it's being given to me as a gift from a relative.

Which of the two is better? I'm not really sure.

I've heard of a Da-Lite but not of the latter.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
From what I read (I don't own either screen), the Da-Lite Model B will likely have waves unless it has High Power material. I have no idea if the Draper will.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
All non-tensioned pull down screens are prone to developing waves or areas where the fabric stretches unevenly as the screen is used. These can become very distracting. As maxlueng mentioned, retroreflective materials such as glass bead screens or the dalite high power material tend to form waves less severely than other screen materials and when they do form, they are less noticable due to the retroreflective properties. Many AVSers go for fixed screens stretched on a frame to avoid the issue of waves, but of course, that is not well-suited for all rooms and applications.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the explanation.

Between the two, which would you guys recommend?

I'm actually not going to curl it back up. I'm going to leave it in its extended position once it's done.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a Da-Lite 84" High Power screen. I pull this thing up and down after every use and have yet to see a wave. Although High Power isn't for everybody, if you read up and decide you have the right setup for it, I highly recommend it. If you go with Da-Lite, before you order your screen, you can get some samples of their screen materials free of charge from their website. This way you can see which material looks best for your setup. I wouldn't rush in to getting your screen. I almost did, and I almost made a mistake. Take a little time to research it and in the end you'll be confident you made the right decision and won't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have the Draper Luma 100" and can confirm you do get waves. You don't really notice it on most viewing material with the exception of horizontal camera pans with veritical picture elements. I'm sure it depends on how picky the viewer is.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you are going to leave it down, you may want to cut the material and put it on a DIY frame.

You have lots of time to do research so don't do it right away. In the DIY section, there are lots of threads on how people make frames out of all kinds of different material, and details on how to attach the material to your frame.

Most people who get the pull down get it because they don't want to see the screen all of the time. Most people who get a fixed frame get it because they don't want a pull down with it's potential wave-problems.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Da Lite Model C with CSR 92" diagonal hi contrast matte white, i dont see any waves in the screen as much as my friend's Da Lite Model B w/o CSR. Go for the model with the csr, i think that helps minimize the waves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.