AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start off, I'm young and completely new to H/T audio. I'm getting ready to set up my first non htib system, and have hit a crossroads that I'd like some advice on. Here's my current non audio setup:

Sony KDF-46e3000

PS3

X360

Time Warner HD

I watch blu-ray and movies all the time, as well as play games. Music is about 10%, though I imagine that number will go up with a good system. I bought an Onkyo SR606 today, so that will be powering whatever speakers I go with. I know many people would say go with the 706, but I just couldn't swallow spending that much more on my first system. Speaker wise, the guy at Fry's is pushing a set of Polk's:

Front: TSi300

Center: CS10

Surround: TSi100

Sub: PSW10

Polk has a deal right now where the sub is free if you spend over 499, so this total with tax, et all is $845. I listened to them in the store and they seemed nice enough to me. Yet I know that if I really get into this hobby, then soon I'll want to upgrade, and since I'm single, I generally follow my whims and will do it. Knowing that, I figure why not just get something better now and not have to deal with that for a much longer (and more budget-friendly) time. That brings into play two other speaker systems, both in the ~1500 range: the Aperion Intimus 4T Hybrid SD, and Paradigm's Phantom Cinema Gaming system. This is a bit over my budget, so I could always buy either of these systems front 3 or 2.1 and then add the rest later. So I guess the question is, are these two systems worth double the price of the Polk's? Are they worth getting at all, or should I just get the polk's and step up to the higher lines later if I want to? And finally, if you do recommend I get the Aperion or Paradigm, which one would you recommend?

Sorry for the novel and so many questions, I'm just trying to be sure I explain everything as best I can.

·
Registered
66 Posts
In a situation like this you really have two options:

1. Save your money and get a really nice 2.1 system and build onto that and not worry about upgrading for a while

or

2. Buy a decent 5.1 and leave room for upgrades.

I did the latter and have been happy. I started out with a pair of insignia bookshelfs and I am now getting the tsi 100s and cs10 center with a possible edesigns or bic sub. I actually think the tsi 100s sound pretty damn good (if you audition them at a store (especially somwhere like a bestbuy where i work) they might not sound nearly as good as at home) and i bought them as i can get the tsi 300 or 400s relativly cheap and move the 100s to the back. I have heard great things about the aperion as well as paradigm speakers. You might also want to look at av123 or acoustech if horns are your thing ( I personally like the sound of the horns). In my experience as you go throughout auditioning different speakers, the differences seem not so obvious as they would between a 50 to 200 dollar pair of speakers compared to a 1000 to 4000 pair of speakers unless you are a music afficanado (i know i butcherd that spelling
)

So now off topic in my humble opinion if you like the sound get the polks... sell the sub and go with an hsu, edesigns, bic, or something else. That is where i would spend my money. If you take them home and don't like the sound, return them, then try one of those ID brands you or i listed

·
Registered
710 Posts
I would look at going for the best front main speakers you can buy and then try to add to them from the same line as funds become available. I will suggest sticking with the ID companies as I feel they offer a little more bang for the buck. I run Axiom audio speakers and they are a very detailed speaker and work incredibly well with low volume listening, it is when they get cranked up that some say they get bright, I still don't hear it myself, but everyone hears things a little differently.

Try going to some of the higher end audio stores nearby and listen to those speakers and pick the ones that you like the sound of then try ordering a set of speakers from the ID companies that are said to parallel this sound. The ID companies offer money back guarantee's so you really have nothing to lose. You could also check the ID companies own forum's for possible auditions which would save you the trouble of shipping back anything you don't like.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.