AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am a new member here and have some question for you guys.

I recently remodel my house and decided to upgrade my system. These are the equipments that I had before the remodeling.

Sony 40" KRL-40XBR2

PlayStation 3 which I use for blu-ray and DVD movies and video games

Comcast HD cable box

HT-SS2000 5.1 Receiver

I did not like the HT-SS2000 since the quality is very poor in my opinion. I bought it at that moment because it supports 3 HDMI.

I was on BestBuy Friday and saw the Samsung LED TV. I am in love with it. Beacuse of that, I went home and bought one through eBay.

After purchasing that TV, I decided to get a 5.1 surround sound system. I did some reviews and I don't want to spend too much so I bought the Yamaha YHT-591 .

As of today, this is what I got which I will receive in less that a week.

TV: Samsung LED TV 46" series 6000

Movies: PS3

Cable: COMAST HD

Receiver: Yamaha YHT-591

The question is how should i set this up? Should i plug in the HDMI cable from the PS3 and Cable Box to the receiver than to the TV? or should I plug in the HDMI cable from the PS3 and Cable to the TV and then use a fiber optic wire to the receiver for the sound? Which way is better?

I know my TV supports 120Hz, but I am not sure will my new receiver support it or not. I checked the specs but it doesn't say anything about that.

So plz help a noob out on how to set up his new System.

Thx. Let me know if you need more info.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'm thinking all your components will go to the receiver, with HDMI when possible. Then you'll run one HDMI cable from the receiver to the tv.

That way your receiver does all the switching/converting, which should make things a lot more convenient for you.

The 120hz thing is on the tv only, your receiver is not going to play a part in that.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
+1 on "highdefdrifter"

your new Yamaha receiver has 3 HDMI inputs (with audio), so HDMI from the PS3 and the Comcast cable box (make sure the setup menus on both put audio/video out on the HDMI output), and one HDMI cable to the HDTV.

It does mean the Yamaha will need to be on when the TV is on. If that is a problem, then you could possibly also run 3 componet video cables to the TV from the Comcast box and a typical red/white analog audio cable, both on Video2 or something like that for your TV

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.