AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to convert my basement to a home theater, and really have no clue as to how to select the components. What are the best resources for complete systems? My basement is 15' by 22' with tall ceilings (11'). I plan to use a projection unit and a fixed screen, and will tear as much of the basement up to do a good job.

Newbie asks for help?! :confused:

Rick

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OOPS! Ceiling is 9'-6".

A magazine recommended the following together as a complete system:

Sony Cineza VPL-HS51 and DaLite 106" Fixed Screen

Denon DVD-2910

Arcam AVR300 Receiver

Von Schweikert System 12 speakers

Looking at basics, I might change the projector to either a BenQ8700 or Optoma H77.

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
916 Posts
I really like your room dimentions. Should make a spectacular room.

It will be easier to recomend some things if you give us a budget, what you want the room layout to be, acoustical treatments etc...

What type of projection technolagy have you seen? Any problems with DLP artifacts, are you a brightness nut, contrast nut ....

Start with one part of the room, research it and then move on. Make a plan and then when its all planned then start. Don't buy the PJ until you need it as technology will change over the time you built this thing. The main thing you need to figure out is what your end goals are.

for instance.

My goals were

1. acoustically treated room

2. Black hole of a room for optimal contrast preseveration.

3. Picture optimised for movies not TV

4. HDTV capable.

5. Absolutly no color wheel for me. This ment no DLP single chip pj. I went with D-ila. I will be switching to three chip DLP for the contrast as I have found in a black hole of a room, contrast becomes more apparent if its not there.

6. Seating goals, number and type. I did 8 berkline theater recliners.

7. I built a room with stage, procenium and a remote controll room for all the equipment. Nothing visable except for the rear surrounds. Every thing is controlled with IR repeaters.

This list is no where near everything so you might want to get started. your other option is to have a professional designer do it for you but half the fun for me was the research, planning and building of MY theater.

break your plan down into sections and get started, Ask more specific questions and people here will be more than glad to help you out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response! I was thinking of spending between $ 4 and $ 5 thousand on the projector, screen, cables, and mounting, and an equal amount on speakers, receiver, and dvd player. I plan on two rows of four seats each, with the second row on a riser (have seen rows of seats for about $ 2,000 each, so I plan on $ 4,000 for seating. I figure another $2,000 for lighting/wiring, and another $ 5,000 for drywall, paint, and carpet. Total budget hoped for of $ 21,000, but if I come in under $ 25,000, I am ok. I will have an equipment room at the back fo the room (nearer the projector) and the entire room will have no outside light and will be walled in.

I don't know if I have any issue with the rainbow effect. I live in a small town where there are no projectors on display, of any type.

I was thinking of deciding on the projector, then the screen. This, I think, drives the seating layout (distance from screen) and so would drive my rear wall (to be built). I want to either build in recessed areas in the wall or have free standing speakers. The positioning of these speakers is elusive to me.

My goals are very similar to yours. I figure I can add acoustical wall treatment if necessary once everything is set up, though perhaps I should treat the screen wall and the underside of the soffits to be added???

I would like to have some level of "fanciness" in the screen area. Any examples out there I can be referred to?

I will keep researching, but the myriad of topics and details is a bit overwhelming for the new person.

I plan to finalize the rough layout this week, clear the basement out, and begin framing in about 10 days. The lighting layout and wiring design will have to run concurrent with the demo/rough framing.

Wil

·
Registered
916 Posts
You can check out my gallery for some pictures of a dedicated room. For fancy, you will need to go through the General gallery section and spend some time looking at different theaters.

Well your budget is tight for projector, screen and cables. You can buy a fixed screen for around 1K ( Carada ) and cables no problem. That leaves you around 3,500 to 4K for the PJ and that is not too bad. you can go used and get some older higher end PJ like my JVC HX1 calibrated by William Phelps if you are sensitive to rainbows/ headaches with single chip DLP technology or buy one of the newer DC3 DLP pjs as their price has really come down. There are lots to choose from so some time researching will serve you well. The main things to consider besides contrast ratio and other image specs would be the throw ratios, offset so you can be sure you can mount it in a good place so it wont interfere with head height, and have plenty of room around it to be cooled. All this information should be coordinated with the screen you choose including size and gain. I would recomend taking a trip to your nearest city to take a look as some and possibly finding someone on this board that will let you drive to their home to sit and watch a movie on a paticular type of pj. Most on this board would love to help out a fellow member.

Where do you live?

If you are about to start framing, have a general Idea where you want your pj mounted so you can put in some support to attach your ceiling mount to. I like to have my PJs mounted right over the head or just behind my second row. This keeps it out of the way near the back of the room. Its also farther away from my prime front row seating.

I live in Oklahoma, If you ever wander anywhere near here, you are always welcome to come watch a movie on either my JVC HX1 or the new DLP three chipper I will buy soon. :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jeff.

I am in Bend, Oregon.

If this theater is good, really good, I will be happy. I kind of expect to learn as I go, and as I plan on building a new house in about 4 years, I can learn and have this next house, that I will be in for at least 8 years, be the really excellent high end theater. At least that's my idea.

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.