AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I need your expert opinion on this situation. I just got a panasonic plasma model number-- TC-P42C2

It is 720p does my TV support 1080i? Also my cable box is set to change depending on the broadcast, So for HD HBO the box changes to 1080i for HD ESPN is changes to 720p. Is the best option for me or should I always have my box set to 720p. Im really new to all this so please make it as simple as possible. Thank you for your help!

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindb34 /forum/post/19519798

Hi everyone. I need your expert opinion on this situation. I just got a panasonic plasma model number-- TC-P42C2

It is 720p does my TV support 1080i? Also my cable box is set to change depending on the broadcast, So for HD HBO the box changes to 1080i for HD ESPN is changes to 720p. Is the best option for me or should I always have my box set to 720p. Im really new to all this so please make it as simple as possible. Thank you for your help!

Your TV is actually 768p (not 720p), but it will accept 720p and 1080i signals just fine. It scales all input signals to 768p before it's displayed on your screen.

You can just let your cable box pass through the various stations' signals (720p and 1080i etc) and you'll see them as they were intended, but i've found that if i set my HD DVRs to output all the channels at 1080i only the picture on all channels is crisper and more detailed than when i set it to 720p only (where it looks softer and less detailed). It works on my 768p LCD, 768p Plasma, and 1080p Plasma. Having the box set to just one output resolution also makes channel changing occur faster and cleaner.

Try both settings for a few days each (or back to back) and see if you notice more detail with the 1080i setting. Everybody i've set a TV up for sees it - but some (like my SO) prefers the softer 720p setting. I like the crisp 1080i setting myself . .

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
720p is actually a higher resolution (more pixels for each refresh than 1080i). Your TV will scale the input to match the TV resolution whether higher or lower. A lot of people, probably smarter than I, say to test to see whether the scaler is better on the TV or input device. This is probably valid. However, until two years ago when I obtained a 1080p set, I always set all of the inputs, Cable DVR, DVD, Blu-Ray to 720p to match the resolution of the TV. I played around with resolution and scaling from the various devices for a while and even one or two times later when I thought I would see if I could tell any difference. My eyes are 59 years old, but 20/20 with glasses and I was never sure if I could tell any difference or not, so I always went back to matching resolutions.

Now that I have a 1080p set, I do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I think Randy and I were typing at the same time. As he is much more experienced with this, plus his advice sounds better, I would go with that.

·
Registered
291 Posts
You sure about that? The comparison would be 720x1280 = 922K pixels versus 540x1920 = 1037K pixels per refresh.

DelJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 /forum/post/19519918

720p is actually a higher resolution (more pixels for each refresh than 1080i). ...

·
Registered
890 Posts
I prefer to have my cable box output at one resolution. Ideally it can be best to have the box do a pass-through, but like the above posters mentioned, this can provide an undesirable effect. The channels take longer to switch (which is annoying when you are channel surfing), and also the TV has to swap constantly the resolutions.

I noticed when I'm receiving OTA HD through the RF input, the transitions from 720p to 1080i to 480i are much faster and smoother (when my box is in pass-through, the TV will display distortion and noise sometimes when switching resolutions).

I've always just fed the TV 1080i whether the TV is a 720p (768p in actuality) or 1080p.

If I'm going to watch some sports game that is transmitted at 720p, then I usually just change the box to 720p to watch said game or use OTA if it's on a network channel. BTW, whatever resolution TV you have (720p or 1080p), your TV only displays at it's native resolution. It just depends what's doing the upscaling or downscaling, the cable box or the TV. Generally you want the TV to do the upscaling/downscaling, but try out 1080i and/or 720p and see which gives you the best picture.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelJ
You sure about that? The comparison would be 720x1280 = 922K pixels versus 540x1920 = 1037K pixels per refresh.

DelJ
No I am not sure. I remember reading something about that when researching my fist HDTV (2005) and never bothered to calculate. Took Consumer Reports word that I would have more pixels with 720p vs 1080i.

Thanks for the update. It is really embarrasing to know I have been putting out false bs (instead of true bs?) for years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.