Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!!,

I'm new to the board even though I've been reading for some time. I've been torn between the panny (TH-50PHD8UK), LG (50PX5D), and pio (PDP5060HD) for quite sometime but have decided on the TH-50PHD8UK because of the thin boarder and great picture. I do have some concerns though. I'm new to the plasma market and don't know if this TV has enough inputs for what I need so I'm asking for your help on how-to hook this bad boy up.

Here's my problem. I was planning on getting the panny DVD-S77S DVD player and already have an HD cable box, bose sound system, and HD XBOX. Does the the panny have enough inputs to run everything HD (the best picture possible) or would I be stuck changing wires to run certain things like my XBOX. I know the LG and Pio have two HDMI slot while in all the pics I only see one you can buy for the panny. Is this the case or am I missing something?

So basically how would I hook all this stuff up at once with the best picture or is it not possible.

BTW: Here's the stand I'm getting (Omnimount VT2FP). Do I need to purchase the wall mount kit to use this stand? Sorry I can't post links yet.

THANKS in Advance!!!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
There are three input "slots" on the 8UK, two are filled when you get the unit and one is empty. The cards can be removed and swapped with various other input cards (although some have limitations on which slot they can go in).

Standard connections on the 8UK are:

Slot 1: Empty

Slot 2: S Video/Composite with L/R RCA jacks for audio

Slot 3: Component Video with L/R RCA jacks for audio.

Built In - non-slot connections are a VGA connection with mini-stereo jack and a serial connector (RS232).

If you bought a VGA breakout cable, you could have 1 additional component connection by plugging into the VGA port on the 8UK.

I bought an HDMI card for Slot 1 (about $145 each). The HDMI card only works in Slots 1 and 2 (not 3). Thus you could only have two HDMI ports max on the unit. So if you wanted another HDMI port, you could unplug the existing S Video card and put in another HDMI card, obviously you lose the S Video/Composite connectors. I believe the DVI card is the same setup (doesn't work in slot 3).

The 8UK is a great unit, but connections are not really it's strong suit. In my case, until I get all my AV equipment upgraded, I am using the HDMI input for my Motorola Cable TV and one component connection that connects to my Kenwood receiver. My DVD player and XBox are connected into the component connections on the receiver so I have to switch those video inputs via the receiver. I plan on getting rid of my DVD player and getting an HDMI one at some point with a new receiver and/or scaler so that only connection into the 8UK will be one HDMI input. (thus why didn't buy breakout VGA cable).

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have installed 2 HDMI boards in slots 1 and 2 of my Th-50PHD8UK, and I use the component board that came with the display (you will need RCA to BNC adapters from your local Radio Shack).

If, down the road, I need more HDMI inputs, then I will just purchase an HDMI switcher (not too expensive...) to handle the increased need.

BTW, I know some Pioneer Elite and some of the new Toshiba PDP's have two HDMI inputs, but I don't know of any that are set up for, or can be expanded to, more than two HDMI inputs.

For me, the Panny commercial gave me the maximum flexibility and , overall, the best picture quality.

enjoy your new 'toy'!

and Happy Holidays!

regards

toyz4boyz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.