AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#1 - I can't tell you anything about the Toshiba. I use an RCA DTC-100, which has been very reliable and trouble-free. I use all three inputs: a) Oval Dish for DTV, SD and HD. b) UHF OTA antenna in my attic for the bay area digital stations c) my crummy old analog basic cable for a few local stations and other odd uses. It all runs very transparently. The RCA doesn't have any kind of adjustment for red push or anything else related to display characteristics, other than aspect ratrio and side-bar choices. I always assumed that this was a function of controls and settings on the display itself (I use a Panny plasma, and I have control of drive, cutoff and gamma on the display.)

The main shortcoming of the DTC-100 is that it doesn't have component outputs. (I'm able to use the VGA port on my plasma for HD) However, a number of people here are using a DTC-100 with a VGA-to-component adaptor and seem to be happy with it.

#2) Yes, you can use your single cable into the house. The standard DTV oval dish has 4 cables coming from the 2 LNBs, but these go to a multiswitch that can mount on the back of the dish (I have mine mounted under the eves next to the dish for weather protection) From the multiswitch, you just need a single cable to each DTV receiver (it will support up to 4)

#3) Yes, getting OTA HD is just that simple, at least with the DTC-100. The main problem people have is with mapping of OTA channels to their analog counterparts using the "off air guides" function of the STB. (e.g. KRON out here - ch 4 - broadcasts its digital signal on Ch 57. The signal includes data that SHOULD let the stb re-map it so you can tune it as "Ch 4-1 KRON-HD) This seems to be a perpetual trouble spot. One of the nice things about the DTC 100 is that you can just turn the off-air guides off if you're having trouble. How hard can it be to remember 5 new channel numbers?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Hello all, I have been browsing for awhile, and thought it was about time to join. I have a couple of questions about HDTV. I currently have a mits 55907, and I am ready to take the plunge and pickup a receiver. I also have to pick up a 18/24 elliptical dish, and an antenna. I am currently a Direct TV subscriber, but I will have to upgrade to Direct TV plus once I get my new stuff. Now here are a few questions I hope you folks can answer.

1) The Toshiba DST3000 was recommended by the local hifi shop salesman, Is this a good unit? Can you use a Red push attenuator with this unit? I think I read somewhere that with one Set top box, you can upconvert all SD to 480p, is this true, and if so what is the box?

2) Ok, now onto the dish. As I said before, I am currently a Direct TV subscriber, and I have one of the older circle dishes on my roof. I was wondering if I can purchase the new elliptical dish, and take the old one out and keep the existing wiring for the new one? I read somewhere that someone said they had to run 4 different wires into his house. Is this what needs to be done. I have 1 wire running into the house to a box that has 4 feeds to different TVs. I hope I can keep the same wiring without changing much.

3) OK almost done, I plan to get an antenna to receive over the air HD channels. Now my question is, I plan to do this in the attic(hope that it works), and I run a coax from the antenna to the direct TV HD receiver into the UHF/VHF input,

turn on the TV during a HD broadcast and BOOM, theres HD in all of its glory? is this so, or am I missing a couple of steps?

I Thank all of you for your time in viewing my thread,

and appreciate all of the good advice you can offer.

Thanks again,

Fred

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.