Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.

I have been lurking for a few weeks and this is my first post. This forum is truly a great resource. Thanks to all who contribute.

I am relatively new to home theater. I have been using an Infocus X1 DLP projector for about 9 months. A few months ago I became aware of CRT projectors and their value in home theater and started doing research. Immediately I decided that CRT was for me.

Three days ago I purchased my first CRT pj, a Sony VPH-1031Q, and have been slowly learing how to set it up. After a few hours I obtained an image that was somewhat watchable but I know that I have a long way to go before I reach this projector's potential.

Removing the lens block I found that the tubes have very little wear on them. I can only faintly see a shaded rectangle on the blue CRT, so it appears that my $100 was well spent.

Included in the sale of this projector was a remote controller VPR-722S and at a connecting cable that must be at least 100 feet long.

While initially testing this projector I have found a problem that I cannot yet eliminate. There is a horizontal line visible in the center of the projected image. It is very thin, perhaps only one scan line, and alternates between red, green and blue in color depending on the scene. I have tried sending the following signals and the line is always present:

-DVD Composite video into Video In on the projector.

-DVD Composite video into Line In 1 and Line In 2 on the remote controler.

-DVD S-video into Line 2 on the remote controller.

I don't currently have the means to test the RGB inputs. I know my source not to be the problem. In fact, I have tried 2 different DVD players.

None of the convergence controls seem to affect this line.

Does anyone know what might be causing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The onther thing I found is that the S-Video signal showed up as black and white. I am quite sure that the cable is not at fault, so I am guessing there is a problem in the remote controller. I am not really concerned about this because I don't plan to use the S-video input, but I wanted to mention it anway.

I have already found a wealth of helpful information about setting up/converging/focusing CRT projectors including a lot of info specific to my particluar model. You've got to love the internet. Over the next several weeks I will be spending a lot of time

playing with this projector and along the way I might ask a question or two... havin fun already!

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
Welcome to forum..I'm a Marc as well with that projector.It is a nice projector once setup.I would head over to www.eboyztoyz.com and take a look at their 1031 primer.Written by a fellow member and is AWESOME!!! Mucho info there for you to read.As for the "line", I had something similar once and was caused by moving the wrong pot on the convergence board.Not part of the controls, but one of the "other" pots.I don't remember which one caised it but a search might turn it up for you.If you've messed with any of the other pots you may want to check into this.

Brickie

·
Registered
538 Posts
The VPR-722S is compatible with the 1031Q but will only show a B&W picture on the 1031Q.

Only the VPH10XX PJ's that came with S-Video inputs will work in color with the 722s. The 1031Q has no inputs for the S-Video signal and the 14 pin connector isn't setup to receive the whole signal resulting in the Black and White image you are seeing.

·
Banned
241 Posts
I'm 90% certain the line you are seeing can be removed by turning a single pot on the convergence board..the pot is not one of the convergence pots grouped together but is located above the group and to the right, if memory serves me. Watch the line as you very slowly turn this pot. It should disappear.

As far as the 1031 (which I own) compared to the X1 (Which I had for 14 days). You may be disappointed in the 1031. The X1 is tons brighter and tons sharper. The 1031 throws a nice picture but I don't know if you'll be impressed after having the X1. It's nice not to see screendoor with the 1031 but I think the X1s brightness and sharpness makes it a thw winner out of these two.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you to The who, riktar, and brickie. The line I mentioned was indeed eliminated by turning the pot on the convergence board (outside convergence controls, upper right corner).

riktar, thanks for the info about the remote controller. I'm happy to hear that it's not defective, although I don't plan on using it anyway.

brickie, I've been to the eboyztozy dot com website, printed out the set-up guide, and I've been using it all weekend. Thanks for the tip.

The who, I appreciate your comment comparing the X1 and the 1031. So far I have not been able to produce an image from the 1031 that rivals the X1. I was hoping that it was because the 1031 wasn't set up properly, but perhaps you are right and the X1 will always be sharper. Or perhaps with some more tweaking I will get a better image still out of this 1031.

Interestingly, I have never found the "screen door effect" noticeable on the X1, while on the 1031 I can clearly see the scan lines. The only thing (so far) that I like better about the 1031 is the lifelike colors, fleshtones particularly.

I am wondering, is it fair to compare the X1 to the 1031 without using a line doubler? I am feeding the X1 component 480i and the 1031 regular composite video. My understanding is that the X1 has it's own scaler and de-interlacer that effectively "line doubles" the interlaced signal I am feeding it (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). With that is in mind, plus the fact that the X1 is receiving component vs. composite video, I would certainly expect the X1 to produce the better image. At present time, unfortunately, I don't have the ability to send anything better than composite (yuck) video to this 1031. I am considering getting the Momitsu DVD as my next purchase. That would allow me to send 480p RGB to the 1031, would it not? Patience if I'm wrong here, still learning :)

Does anyone have any thoughts about the X1 vs Sony 1031? So far the X1 is blowing the 1031 out of the water, but like I said, I am hoping that I can even the odds by sending the 1031 a better signal (plus improving my set-up/convergence skills).

Lastly, I'm having focus problems with my 1031, but I'll ask this question in a new thread.

Thanks again for your help, guys.

-Mark

·
Banned
241 Posts
You have to build a cable to go VGA into the DP25 -RGB on the projector. If you can use your computer as your DVD player.. You will increase the picture quality immensely but MAKE SURE to change the resolution on your PC to 600X480. Any resolution higher will ruin your 1031. The best you can hope for with the 1031Q is a very nice picture but it will be on the dim side and it will never be as sharp as the X1 or any digital. The CRT vs digital debate has much more relevance when comparing better CRTs than the 1031... I really don't think very many people are going to claim that a 7" CRT is going to blow away something like the X1 but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Quote:
I am wondering, is it fair to compare the X1 to the 1031 without using a line doubler?
You're right. The glowing recommendations of the 1031 are based primarily on running it from an htpc. It will never be as bright or as "sharp" as the dlp, but...

The 1031 has the X1 beat on contrast hands-down. It is a total fallacy to talk about how brighter pjs are better in partially-lit rooms, since any front projector will only produce black as dark as the screen is with no light on it. If the room is lit and the screen is light gray, that's the BEST black you can get. Therefore, IMHO, for theater viewing, you should only compare in total or reasonable darkness. In that respect, the 1031 is *almost* bright enough, and to choose between the almost bright enough 1031 and the near lack of contrast on the X1 is easy. Either pj will only be as sharp as the source. 480p isn't all that great on a 100"+ screen anyway. The perceived sharpness of the X1 has alot to do with the fact that the pixels are square and it's easy to focus. I'm not saying it's not sharper, just that the X1 I've seen seemed artificially sharp. Now if you're talking a chip pj with 1280x720 or better I think it's a different story, but we're not.

Quote:
I have never found the "screen door effect" noticeable on the X1
Get the sony set up well and then look at a dlp again if you have the chance. Hang around and these guys will make you a very (good) critical viewer.

I'll be honest, I'm selling a 1031 (that got replaced by a 6pg+) that's been collecting dust and it's not that I don't like it, but if I set one up for the kids I just don't want it to be that big, and they don't care what the contrast ratio is. Anyway, get a doubled source on the 1031 and you'll start to see the potential of the little guy.

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
A properly calibrated 1031Q fed via an HTPC at 500p/540p will destroy an X1's image [ other than the X1 will be slightly brighter ] !

--- Bold statement ... not at all , very true and I speak from first hand experience .

----------- Jason

·
Banned
241 Posts
As my post above says, I've had both and I really strongly disagree.. There is no "destorying" to be done by the 1031.. at least not the one I own.

Also, brightness DOES matter... It makes EVERYTHING in the scene brighter. It also allows you to have a much bigger screen. The 1031 is far to dim on say a 100" screen. You squint when watching dark scenes on a 1031.. even certian light scenes are too dim. Like it or not dimness is a huge disadvantage when it come to something like the 1031.. At least the one I have.. and I've tried everything from cranking bias and G2 and it just won't get any brighter.

I would love to see DaGamePimp's 1031 because mine certianly does not blow away an x1.. .

Certian people love to point to the advantages of CRT and totaly ignore, as if they don't matter, the disadvantages. Brighter is an advantage, i'ts not a "fallacy " and Sharper is shaper.. there is no "artificial" sharpness. If it looks sharper.. it is.

Having said that.. Learn the 1031 and come back and give us your opinion.

I'm selling my 1031.(sold) That should tell you something.. Unless there is something wrong with mine, Than I would say not many people are going to be happy with a 1031 for very long.. sooner or later.. you are going to start wishing it was brighter and sharper- even with the lights off.

·
Registered
16,923 Posts
The who ,

--- Not to offend you but you either had a bad 1031Q or it was not tweaked as far as it could have been ;) .

--- Everyone that saw my 1031Q image [ 45"x80" image by the way ] was blown away [ even the local InFocus screenplay dealer :) ] .

--- It does take some work to get the most from the 1031Q and if you never had one connected via an HTPC then you never came close to what it really can do .

--- I too had both a 1031Q and an ISF'd InFocus SP4800 Demo [ same as X1 only slightly more tweaked for HT use ] at the same time for comparison . The image from the calibrated SP4800 was slightly brighter than that of the tweaked Sony 1031Q [ remember a calibrated X1 without the white segment on is pretty dim by digital standards and the white segment should never be on for HT use unless all you care about is how bright the image is and have no regard for image quality ] .

--- After doing ASTIG on the 1031Q and some focus work an HTPC using ffdshow can do wonders for a sharper CRT image [ when used in moderation ] . My image was honestly so close in sharpness to that of the X1 that only with windows desktop on could a difference be seen [ when a dvd was playing there was almost no difference other than the Pixel Structure being visible on the X1 from the same viewing distance as the 1031Q ;) ] .

--- Again I mean no offense and we each have a right to voice our opinions on the matter .

---------- Jason

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Jason,

does the 1031 have 4 pole astig or only 2 pole?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi there all

@mtmelvin, good luck with the projector, its a great little unit when tweaked, great way to get you in the world of CRT front projection. definately best fed with a line doubled source, as you have noticed it composite input looks crap to say the least.

@ Robro, It depends on how lucky you are, my 1031 has 4 pole astig on the green tube and 2 pole astig on the red & blue, i think as standard they only have 2 pole astig, i'm sure Jason will answer this properly though.

@ The Who, Ive seen a lot of DLP projectors in my time, (my friend works for Toshiba, large screen presentation & home theatre department) and brings many home for me to look at. I havn't seen one that is as good as my 1031, i can understand how sharp the DLP projectors look on a windows desktop, but my 1031 also looks very sharp, so less artificial and pixellated than a DLP. I hope you have a better experience with that ECP you are looking at.

I have spent a fair few hundred hours tweaking and modifying my 1031QM, (which unfortunately is going now, only to upgrade to a BIG! projector) it outputs 960 X 540p @60hz from a radeon driven HTPC, 72" wide with zero scan lines and is plenty bright enough in a light controlled room, i have attached a picture of the lovely Mila Jovavich's eye in Resident Evil to show the detail/brightness i get out of it without overdriving it.

@ Jason (& Brickie), gotta say thanks as if it wasn't for you two and not to forget Larry i wouldn't have discovered the 1031 and my hobby in CRT projectors and all the information that i have been able to use on my 1031 projector experience.

This isn't flaming or bashing or anything like that its just my own personal views.

All the best

James

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey all,

Just wanted to throw in my $.02 as well. I just recently purchased a 1031 from Curt, I finally was able to set it up (partially, not mounted yet) last night and I was absolutely thrilled with it even just from a composite source. The colors were fantastic and IMHO even with the lights in the room at 50 % Dim the picture was bright enough to comfortably watch. I did notice the scan lines but hopefully once I get my cable from Jason and hookup my HTPC it won't be as much of an issue.

Aaron

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to all who gave their input on my 1031 vs. X1 question. I knew the opinoins would vary and it's nice to hear both sides.

I am still brand new to CRT (and relatively new to home theater) so I know that I've got some learning to do. Being that this is my first CRT I really just wanted to know if this 1031 could potentially rival my X1. Like I said, opinions are opinions but I appreciate hearing other people's experiences.

Honestly, I do not find the 1031 to be dim at all. I am used to having to darken my viewing room as much as possible. After all, as DaGamePimp pointed out, the X1 is relatively dim once you turn off the white segment. In fact, my initial impression fith the 1031 was that it was actually brighter than the X1. Maybe what I was perceiving was actually just better contrast, but right away I felt like it was performing better than my X1 does in a lit room. Since I am still struggling to properly tweak the 1031 I haven't done any real movie viewing on it yet. But when I get to that point the X1 will still be there for comparison (and of course I will do that in the dark :) ).

At this point I don't see myself getting into the world of HTPC, but that could certainly change. To hopefully supply a better source for my 1031 I have ordered the Avia DVD player (with 480p VGA out). Thanks to Clarence for the recommendation. However, if I hear enough of things like "You're really not using the full potential of that 1031 without a HTPC" than I will probably come around eventially :).

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in. I will be asking more questions as I try to learn how to set up this 1031. Thanks in advance for the help along the way.

-Mark

·
Banned
241 Posts
mtmelvin:

I would go as far to say that if you don't use a PC with the 1031 then you are absolutly wasting the Sony. Buying a $50 DVD rom and using your computers stock video card is going to increase the quality of image tenfold over what you are using now.

DaGamePimp:

I use the 1031 with a HTPC.. I never had any complaints about the image.. It's the low brighness that ruins it for me. My tubes are extremely clean. With the lens cage removed, you can't see any wear/shade at all on any of the tubes.. I've calabrated using VE and Ive tweaked and tweaked and tweaked and the end result is the same.. too dim.

If my projector has a problem than mtmelvin should ignore everything I've said but at after a year of owning it I have no reason to believe there is anything wrong with it.

This is my experiance and I'm sticking to it. ;)

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
mtmelvin, I think you'll be happy with the Avia. And you can't beat the price, simplicity, and convenience.

Though when you're ready to eek even more out of your 1031 like Jason and psycho did, you'll want to use an HTPC to get more than the 480p from the Avia. And you'll probably use an Extron for a little signal boost, even though you don't need it with the Avia for sync conversion.

Quote:
I would go as far to say that if you don't use a PC with the 1031 then you are absolutly wasting the Sony.
I disagree. I'd concur if you werre just using 480i, but the 480p VGA players are fine with the 1031. I still wish TheWho could see a second 1031 just to confirm whether your 1031 had typical brightness. Sure it's not as bright as my other projectors, but I wouldn't call it dim.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoDogBeast

@ The Who, Ive seen a lot of DLP projectors in my time, (my friend works for Toshiba, large screen presentation & home theatre department) and brings many home for me to look at. I havn't seen one that is as good as my 1031, i can understand how sharp the DLP projectors look on a windows desktop, but my 1031 also looks very sharp, so less artificial and pixellated than a DLP.

James
I could only go by my experience. I've owned two digitals and two CRTs and had the X1 for a 14 day evaluation and my impressions are that the 1031 is by far the dimmest projector of the five I've had. It's the only one that made me say,"Gee,I wish it was brighter".

Quote:
I hope you have a better experience with that ECP you are looking at.
My $177 ECP should arrive next week.. All I know is it powers up- tubes look clean and light up. Beyond that, It's a gamble.:D

·
Banned
241 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Clarence

I disagree. I'd concur if you werre just using 480i, but the 480p VGA players are fine with the 1031.
I have the Colby with VGA and it is eons better than 480i via composite but my PC is even better than the Colby. I imagine a better DVD with VGA would be close or match a HTPC but since I don't see very many DVD players with VGA ( I've checked the back on every DVD player at my local B&M stores) and mtmelvin already has a PC, I thought the easiest way for him to compare is to install a $49 DVD Rom.

Quote:
I still wish The Who could see a second 1031 just to confirm whether your 1031 had typical brightness. Sure it's not as bright as my other projectors, but I wouldn't call it dim.
I wish I could see another 1031 as well. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey guys, just to clarify I DON'T currently have a pc that I could even attempt to use as a HTPC. At home all I have is a poor old dinosaur of a laptop. We have been talking about getting a new computer for over a year now... but it seems I keep spending money on the home theater instead :)

On top of that I'm still learning how to set up this 1031 and the last thing I need right now is to make it more complex. That's why I went with the cheap VGA DVD player for now. HTPC is still a few miles down the road for me.

Nothing to report on this projector yet. Haven't had time to mess with it. The CRT's look great and everything works but I'm having focus issues (see another post). Probably just user error... need to spend more time with it. Perhaps this weekend.

-Mark

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
p.s. the who when i had my 1031q it was plenty bright, you mentioned tweaking the g-2,s for added brightness to no avail there is a screen brightness pot that you might have missed that affect the tweakabilty(if there is such a term) of the g-2s, to get the max out of the 1031q floor mount and a high gain screen would greatly enhance the performance out of the little guy, my two cents.....................

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.