AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got a chance to see the new video screens in action at the new Mile High stadium here in Denver this week. The three screens are all 16:9 widescreen format. It was interesting to watch during the game as the in house scoreboard video cameras are all widescreen and maybe even HD. The video of the game replays etc. was extremely clear, and was definitely NOT a stretch mode on a 4:3 picture. It was easy to tell this since at several times during the game they put on the local NBC channel news and weather updates, and these shots were stretched to fit the screen.

Does anyone know the details on these boards? Are most of the new stadiums using widescreen boards and widescreen cameras these days? I would be curious to know if anyone has the details on the cameras etc. used at the new Mile High. Are they 420p or 720p or 1080i? I have read an article in the paper on the screens and they give the number of 'bulbs' used on the screens, but do not say what the cameras shooting the shots can do. If the cameras are really HD (720p or 1080i) it might be possible to do a HD game from Mile High without a new production team.

------------------

jm in Boulder

[This message has been edited by JMartinko (edited 08-27-2001).]

·
Registered
384 Posts
They talked about the screens during the pregame show Saturday night. If I remember correctly, they are made by Mitsubishi and as the reporter said "able to display images of high resolution," whatever that means. They also showed the hardware that controls it and on the display there were modes with on of the labels: 4x3. I can't wait to see them in person.

Jason

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Well they obviously weren't chosen nor operated by any of the 3 network affiliates here in town....gosh Mile Hi gets HDTV before they can even get a permit for Lookout....something is sadly lacking....

------------------

Geof

·
Banned
364 Posts
John,

I beleive I heard that the larger scoreboard had 300,000+ pixels (lightbulbs... did you look, are they lightbulbs?)while the smaller boards have somewhere around 200,000 pixels. 1080i and 720p would both take around a million pixels to be fully resolved. If each pixel is 3 lightbulbs, we are still far short of true HD delivery on those screens. 480p would be just over 400,000 pixels. Interestingly 480i by my calculations is 172,000 or so pixels. The camera's may be anamorphic 4x3 which deliver 16x9 output for a non-HD price.

With all that said, I think it is great that they are delivering 16x9 output to the stadium viewers, and agree that this has great implications, if not for HD, then for 16x9 broadcasts.

-John

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Geof:
Well they obviously weren't chosen nor operated by any of the 3 network affiliates here in town....gosh Mile Hi gets HDTV before they can even get a permit for Lookout....something is sadly lacking....
Geof

Just a friendly reminder that other forum members do not want to see any postings that say anything bad about the Denver network affiliates. You know how hard they have been trying to get on the air. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Be careful not to express any of your own opinions in this forum unless they praise the local networks. I just hope that some of the folks from the Denver thread don't read this or we could be in trouble again for having negative thoughts.

As for me, just to stay on the safe side, Yea KUSA, thanks for that great DTV signal, Yea KCNC, I am getting a REAL STRONG DTV signal here in Boulder, and finally Yea KMGH, that evening news set looks great in HD! Oh, and thanks to the three of you for getting those scoreboards at the new Mile High on the air, I am sure you all provided the necessary technical support. And of course, good luck to Pinnacle in getting those towers up on Eldorado, it would be a shame to have those peaks dark at night without the blinking red lights to let us know where it is. All the other front range mountains should be lit up too for airline safety. Sure hope that satisfies the opinion police here.

Back on the original topic, I would still be curious to know if anyone has seen what kind of TV cameras are used at the new stadium. Places like MSG and the Dallas arena now have their own HD production set up, I just wondered if Mile High could boast the same thing too.

------------------

jm in Boulder

[This message has been edited by JMartinko (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
jm

Was that you I was driving behind the other day with the "No Supertowers on Eldorado Mountain" bumper sticker? Of course, it was stuck to an environmentally friendly SUV.

...Boulder and its hypocrites...

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

·
Registered
5,658 Posts
Quote:
And of course, good luck to Pinnacle in getting those towers up on Eldorado, it would be a shame to have those peaks dark at night without the blinking red lights to let us know where it is.
Ah, that's the group who said they'd be broadcasting HD by May of this year but they are now only having their 1st JeffCo meeting. They must be using some strange calander. Oh, but wait, we want HD so bad around here some folks will support building a tower on a mountain none of the 3 network stations (nor PBS) said they'd ever move to.

Maybe I should buy Bronco season tickets (again) to see widescreen HD football at Mile Hi.....

------------------

Geof

[This message has been edited by Geof (edited 08-28-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweakophyte:
jm

Was that you I was driving behind the other day with the "No Supertowers on Eldorado Mountain" bumper sticker? Of course, it was stuck to an environmentally friendly SUV.

...Boulder and its hypocrites...
Tweakophyte

Don't have one on the old SUV, maybe you saw the one on my bike. Either that or I may know the culprit, I saw one on an SUV last week while I was riding the RTD bus to the Bronco game. I think the license plate was "Tweak", but my eyesights not too good, so I could be wrong. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

As for my attitude on Eldorado, apparently you didn't read my notice. "And of course, good luck to Pinnacle in getting those towers up on Eldorado, it would be a shame to have those peaks dark at night without the blinking red lights to let us know where it is. All the other front range mountains should be lit up too for airline safety."

I just can't rest until we have blinking lights on every mountain on the front range. What if a bird happens to run in to one of those mountains in the dark? Can you live with yourself when you think of that?

I am dissappointed in Pinnacle. When I toured there last spring they were saying they would be building towers by May. Now it seems they are having their first hearing. What if they build the towers and no one comes? We already know every major network station in Denver has said they will NEVER relocate on Eldorado. The only other reason to build the towers is to use the lights as a beacon for the birds. Hold that thought, maybe the whole project is "for the birds". Now there is something an environmentalist can hang his hat on.

Go Pinnacle! Go KCNC! Go KMGH! Go KUSA! Love those great digital HD signals I am getting from you guys. Rah Rah Rah!

From "The People's Republic"

------------------

jm in Boulder

·
Registered
396 Posts
The University of Tennessee put up a new video screen two years ago and it was 16:9 also. The picture on it was also very sharp for a stadium screen, but I have no idea if it was HD or not.

I think having public venues go to 16:9 displays can only help speed up acceptance of widescreen displays by the general public.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chad

Thanks for the input. That is the kind of information I was looking for with this thread. I am really curious to know what kind of cameras are used for the scoreboards at these venues.

I agree with you that this kind of publicity is the best HDTV can get. A full house at Mile High is 75K and I know UT packs in over 100K for a home game, so that is a lot of folks seeing widescreen each week. Will any UT home games be on CBS in HD this year? It would be fun to see a game from there in HD, it would surely be spectacular. Does anyone else know of any 16:9 scoreboards in any of the other new or recently upgraded stadiums around the country?

------------------

jm in Boulder

·
Registered
599 Posts
And they are usually 15mm or 21mm in diameter

The cams are probably 16 x 9 standard Def.

I have been doing this as a sideline job for a number of years.

Freedom hall in Louisville will go from projectors to LED screens next month. (4x3)

And we are rebuilding the headend that drives the system

4x3 was chosen to fit into the existing center hung scoreboard.

The current display is 4 sided and has 64 pioneer projectors

I have had the dis-pleasure of trying to converge that monster on many occasions.

To learn more check out "multi image systems" web site

(sorry no link)

------------------

Studio Broadcast Engineer

KET

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Florida at Tennessee is the first HD game on CBS 9-15-01 at 3:30. My wife went to UT so she is very pumped for this game. It will be interesting to see what they show of the stadium before or during the game as it is an older, exposed steel frame structure with lots of diagonal and horizontal braces. It should look awesome in HD.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
FYI, This game is being played in Gainesville, Florida.

-Mike

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee L:
Florida at Tennessee is the first HD game on CBS 9-15-01 at 3:30. My wife went to UT so she is very pumped for this game. It will be interesting to see what they show of the stadium before or during the game as it is an older, exposed steel frame structure with lots of diagonal and horizontal braces. It should look awesome in HD.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Just a point of reference. There are no "lightbilbs" in any of these large screens be they 4x3 or 16x9. They are using high intensity LED'S in red, blue and green. It's almost like a giant CRT as far as how they work.

The most popular are made by Panasonic, Mits and Sony.

Lee

·
Registered
632 Posts
According to an article in the special section of the paper on Ivesco Field at Mile High the new screen uses smaller LEDs then the old screen. They have their own cameras and plan to use their signal for all images, except during an offical Replay call by the refs when NFL rules state they can only show what the Ref can see.

See http://denver.rockymountainnews.com/...reboards.shtml .

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Well, I guess that is egg on my face. I thought for sure it was in Knoxville. I guess it is just my wife's wishful thinking confusing me. She actually thinks Tennessee can beat Florida this year.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee L:
It will be interesting to see what they show of the stadium before or during the game as it is an older, exposed steel frame structure with lots of diagonal and horizontal braces. It should look awesome in HD.
I can see it now... an inordinate amount of stadium referendums on being put on ballots everywhere that HD recievers are common... maybe a crystal clear picture is a bad thing?

:p

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------

After 6 years I am getting ready to upgrade my HT. Research now, purchase in the summer... er, uh, September... grrr...lagging upgrades...

- Rear Channels in...

...now waiting for DPL II

·
Registered
32 Posts
Note that only the two smaller screens are 16:9. The main screen calculates out at 3.5:1 based on the numbers in the article. Did they treat the main screen as two 16:9's side-by-side (3.5:1), or did they stretch the picture out?

Go donkeys!

------------------

Mike Saemisch

Visit our home theater here .

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"Did they treat the main screen as two 16:9's side-by-side (3.5:1), or did they stretch the picture out?"

Yes, the main scoreboard is two side by side screens just like in the old stadium. The left screen shows video highlights etc., and the right shows graphics, stats, and scores.

------------------

jm in Boulder

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.