AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Ooh.....I called this a while ago. Blind squirrel finally found a nut!

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUR  /t/1519726/new-mini-dsp-product-with-dirac-live-room-correction#post_24406044

Very cool! I know a lot of 2ch only guys whose minds could be blown by this.

If it works on two, it can go to eight very quickly with newer hardware from miniDSP. Good times ahead for the enthusiast crowd.

·
Innocent Bystander
3,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trepidati0n  /t/1519726/new-mini-dsp-product-with-dirac-live-room-correction#post_24406096

If it works on two, it can go to eight very quickly with newer hardware from miniDSP. Good times ahead for the enthusiast crowd.
Yup, but then they may be bumping up against Emo's forthcoming multi-ch, Dirac-enabled pre-pro. Much depends upon feature sets, pricing, etc.

In any case, I certainly agree that anything which brings SoTA RC at a reasonable price point is a very good thing.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopShop1  /t/1519726/new-mini-dsp-product-with-dirac-live-room-correction#post_24406157

Yep, got the email from them this morning talking about this...will be very cool when it's expanded. I wonder how different, if at all, it is from the versions used with Jriver etc

Which version are you speaking of that is used with Jriver? Is there a specific version for Jriver with a different feature set than the standard PC version?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre  /t/1519726/new-mini-dsp-product-with-dirac-live-room-correction#post_24406215

Which version are you speaking of that is used with Jriver? Is there a specific version for Jriver with a different feature set than the standard PC version?

Honestly, not sure...I haven't spent any time looking into it, I was just thinking along the lines of the different versions of Audessey etc. Like Trinnov...you kow we don't get the same capability with the Sherwood and you do in the $20k unit. I wonder if there's a difference in the feature sets etc.

·
Innocent Bystander
3,211 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decadent_Spectre  /t/1519726/new-mini-dsp-product-with-dirac-live-room-correction#post_24406215

At present, there are only two software versions - 2ch and 8ch - neither specific to JRiver. I know folks using 2ch with JRiver in stereo setups and folks using 8ch with JRiver in an HTPC.

http://www.dirac.se/en/consumer-products/dirac-rcs.aspx

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I see it uses an external power supply. I wonder if they include that for the $899 price tag?

They also say this:
Quote:
Max balanced input level: 2Vrms (Jumper Closed) / 8Vrms (Jumper open)

Max balanced output level: 2Vrms

I wonder how many users will pick the 8 Volt setting, thinking this will give a big performance improvement and not realize their device now attenuates the signal by a nominal 12 dB?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt  /t/1519726/new-mini-dsp-product-with-dirac-live-room-correction#post_24532246

that price tag... jeez. I'll stick with xt32 and minidsp.

I suppose it may be the licensing that ups the price quite a bit.

IMO, they need to coalesce all their tools into one offering, ie., a 8x8, or 10x10 dsp processer, w/Dirac and a range of connectivity options. How much a demand there is for such a thing, I don't know, but they're heading in the right direction. Granted, it's a far cry from a balanced [email protected]$125, for simple sub management.

Reactions: Scott Simonian

·
Registered
992 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc56  /t/1519726/new-mini-dsp-product-with-dirac-live-room-correction#post_24532503

I see it uses an external power supply. I wonder if they include that for the $899 price tag?

They also say this:

I wonder how many users will pick the 8 Volt setting, thinking this will give a big performance improvement and not realize their device now attenuates the signal by a nominal 12 dB?

Can you explain why the signal would be attenuated by 12db? I thought the 8v input would be for people who have AVR/pre pros that output a high Vrms. For example Onkyo.....this way they don't clip the inputs of the mini.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana  /t/1519726/new-mini-dsp-product-with-dirac-live-room-correction#post_24532736

Can you explain why the signal would be attenuated by 12db? I thought the 8v input would be for people who have AVR/pre pros that output a high Vrms. For example Onkyo.....this way they don't clip the inputs of the mini.

Sure. When you have 2 Volts out for 8 Volts in, that's a voltage ratio of 2 / 8 = 1 / 4. To convert to dB, take 20 times the base 10 log of the voltage ratio. 20 * log 10 (0.25) = -12.04 dB. Stated another way, they achieve the 8 Volt maximum input by putting 12 dB of attenuation at the input.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieattk  /t/1519726/new-mini-dsp-product-with-dirac-live-room-correction#post_24532725

does this shape phase ?

This corrects in the time domain so i believe it shapes phase.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts