AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spotted the new Mitsubishi RPTV with the new 1280x720 DLP from TI in Denver at Big Picture. I'm going back with my DVD enabled laptop to test both PC and Svideo inputs from the laptop this weekend.

From my brief look, before they kicked me out, it looked pretty good, but the video settings definitely needed tweaked. They had a 1080i and a 480p source hooked up.

I'm just happy to see the set in a store. I think Hitachi and Panasonic are supposed to follow with RPTVs based on the new DLP chip soon.

Anybody else able to take a closer look at this set already? Specs say it can only except an XGA 1024x768 PC input, but with a 1280x720 DLP, why can't you feed it a 1280x720 PC feed? Or can you???

Sorry to bore you front projection fans, but this one will be for a very well lit family room and will be used to do a lot of internet surfing and game playing in addition to watching HDTV, DVD, and satellite TV. I'm trying to decide between Plasma and DLP. I'm worried about phosphor burn from computer use on CRT.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm on my to Big Picture with my laptop to test the PC and Svideo inputs from laptop DVD player and Windows ME desktop. Unfortunately, my laptop won't support the 1280x720 native DLP resolution even with PowerStrip. I'm not sure if I want to attempt lugging my desktop into the store, which will support that resolution. I definitely won't attempt it during the weekend rush!

Dave

·
Registered
855 Posts
The Panasonic set has been in a local store for, about, 6-8 months. I haven't spotted a Hitachi set in a store yet. Let us know your impressions of the Mitsubishi and your laptop. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Huck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry it took so long to report back.

I was very unhappy with this product. The guys at Big Picture were great though. I spent 4 hours running multiple tests comparing the Mits DLP set to several other products including a Panasonic 42" Plasma.

* The Mits wasn't very bright.

* The computer mode absolutely sucked! You had not control over vertical and horizontal size and position on the set with the exception of 3 predefined modes which don't utilize the full display.

These two things alone made it a product I would not buy.

In an interesting turn of events, the Panasonic Plasma blew my socks off. It offered incredible picture quality, brightness, and a host of controls for modifying the display for each type of input. The store manager couldn't believe his eyes after I finished tweaking the Plasma. We sat and watched almost half of Gladiator and had a crowd around the display when I finally shut down my laptop.

Of the products that exist today, I am pretty close to being sold on Plasma for its performance in versatile conditions (ambient light, computer use, TV, and Movies).

My next stop will be to test the Panasonic 50" Plasma and the Panasonic DLP set at Soundtrack in Denver. I want to see if the lack of controls on the Mits DLP set is the same on the Panasonic DLP set. I also want to see if the 50" Panasonic plasma has all the same features as the 42" and if it looks as good or better.

Come on, somebody else has to have an opinion!?!?

-Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.