AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all:

after much great advice and hand-holding, I upgraded my old Athlon 3200 system today, getting a GM-Ma78 mobo with a Phenon X2 550 and 2 gigs of RAM. I kept my two HDD's, a WD 300 main and Maxtor 250 secondary. They were arranged for RAID 1 I think.

So I'm a total newbie on the building side of things. I put in the mobo and the cpu, hooked up my HDD's, and turned it on (hoping maybe it would just "magically work).

Instead, I get quick bios info, then it goes to the "Windows didn't exit normally" black and white screen.

I presume this means I have to reload my OS? I have MCE 2k5 on the primary HDD, but have the disks if I need to wipe and re-load, but to confess, I'm clueless on what to do next. I tried putting disc 1 in the drive, but it doesn't seem to be loading or starting anything, how should I get this baby up and running again?

Thanx again for any input,

Joel

Confused in Carlsbad.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx CF, I finally got it to reboot from the disc, but I tried to take a shortcut and do a repair instead of fresh install. It asked for a third party raid driver, but I'm not sure I have that, so I ignored and started using the standard setup again. After the initial windows setup, it said it didn't find the HDD's installed (although it listed them in the bios on startup).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Windows setup is apparently not recognizing my HDD's, they're SATA cofigured, is there a driver or utility I should use to have widows see them? As I said earlier, both HDD's show up in the bios, and then it runs through the peripherals/IRQ info, but upon trying to load windows, I get looped into "Windows did not find any HDD's installed on your computer" message. argh.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for another dumb Q, but do HDD's need drivers to be recognized in setup on a windows re-install? I just realized I don't have much space on either HDD, and it the discs probably wouldn't hold another OS? I was hoping it would just run from the primary HDD that already had a stable install of MCE 2k5, but nope.

Help me mr. Wizard. . .

·
Registered
112 Posts
Replacing a motherboard without doing a reformat is not advised. Some people have luck, others don't. It has to do with the drivers left over from the old motherboards chipset causing problems. So I recommend reformatting and starting over.

Doing a raid on different size drives sucks. The raid will only be able to use the amount of the smaller drive, so whats left over on the bigger drive is not accessible. So you waste all the extra.

I would just reformat and install the OS on the smaller drive and use the bigger drive for storage.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx, is there an easy way to reformat the drive? In windows setup, its not recognized at all. I wanted to save the info on at least one drive, but if I can reformat, do a clean install, and move forward, I'd consider that a victory. I'm guessing the old c:/format doesn't work anymore, but any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can always use the old fdisk utility (do a google search on it) put it on a flash drive or a floppy and boot from it.

Western digital also has a reformat utility available, search for that as well

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Your going to have to do a complete new install of OS. That means formatting one of your harddrives. I would recommend getting another harddrive for the new install, that way you won't loose any information from your original drives if you need it.

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJWikiera /forum/post/16931504

Your going to have to do a complete new install of OS. That means formatting one of your harddrives. I would recommend getting another harddrive for the new install, that way you won't loose any information from your original drives if you need it.

Thats always an option, and one I usually follow.

But look at the following link and type in the model number of your WD harddrive, you can download the tools you need to reformat your WD HDD

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?lang=en

Get the data lifeguard tools for dos and burn it on a CD, boot from the CD and follow the instructions

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
That is a Gigabyte mobo, right? Power up and tap delete to get to the bios then look for the SATA Mode setting and set it to IDE . This will make windows think your SATA drive is an IDE drive and will recognize it so you can install Windows.

You should probably do a fresh install, but you can sometimes just do a repair install and get away with it. Try if you want, and if you get strange behavior you can always do a fresh install. After Windows installs successfully it will reboot from your HDD and you can then install the Gigabyte mobo drivers from the disc that came with the mobo.

BB

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird999 /forum/post/16931525

That is a Gigabyte mobo, right? Power up and tap delete to get to the bios then look for the SATA Mode setting and set it to IDE . This will make windows think your SATA drive is an IDE drive and will recognize it so you can install Windows.

You should probably do a fresh install, but you can sometimes just do a repair install and get away with it. Try if you want, and if you get strange behavior you can always do a fresh install. After Windows installs successfully it will reboot from your HDD and you can then install the Gigabyte mobo drivers from the disc that came with the mobo.

BB

If I read his first post right he has it set up a raid config now, so can he do a repair on just 1 drive in ide mode? I would think he would loose the raid drive and then have to do a reformat, but I could be wrong about that.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I saw that, but I am pretty sure it would not be set up as RAID, more likely just C and a separate data drive. The thing is that those Gigabyte mobos will recognize the SATA drive as a boot disc if it is set to IDE mode in the bios. I just finished building 2 of these in the last month. One was a new build for my son and the other was a mobo upgrade and I was able to do it with a repair install that allowed me to save all the intalled apps and settings. However, I agree, it is a crapshoot as to whether or not it will work. I have done it a many times and it has worked about half the time.

BB

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanx for chiming in BB, I tried the delete button, but it still takes me to "windows did not start successfully" window, and just loops from there. The bios that runs at the beginning lists the HDD, but when I tried installing windows, it said it didn't recognize any HDD's.

I've since pulled out the secondary HDD, I'm copying some files onto a USB HDD, then I'll try to re-format it and do a clean install, if it will even recognize the HDD. The driver disc that came w/ Giga mb said it had some drivers on it but wouldn't help. . .

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK I somehow found the CMOS setup, but the IDE HDD auto-detection won't recognize the HDD. the IDE Channel 0 master is set to auto, but nothing is found. is there a way to force this?

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I set the HDD as the first boot drive, thinking it would at least recognize it. I'll try to reset to DVD, and try the windows restart again, but it doesn't seem to want to recognize the HDD, and so it stops loading windows. .. .

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Something is very odd. You claim that you got a "Windows did not exit normally" screen when you first tried it. Well, that would only happen if the hard drive was recognized and Windows attempted to boot from the hard drive.

So, what did you do after that to "turn off" the hard drives so the bios no longer sees them? Can you provide some details on what exactly you have done so far.

It might be a good time to do a bios reset using the jumper on the motherboard and start over.

Peter

·
Registered
3,954 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratwa /forum/post/16931477

Replacing a motherboard without doing a reformat is not advised. Some people have luck, others don't. It has to do with the drivers left over from the old motherboards chipset causing problems. So I recommend reformatting and starting over.

Doing a raid on different size drives sucks. The raid will only be able to use the amount of the smaller drive, so whats left over on the bigger drive is not accessible. So you waste all the extra.

I would just reformat and install the OS on the smaller drive and use the bigger drive for storage.

+1

The only time that you really have much of a chance of a clean upgrade is with similar chipsets. WGA goes nuts if you don't. sometimes it is an easy call to the guy in India that asks if this was do to a hardware change... and you just put in the new key and you are good to go. Other times, it won't even boot. This is especially true with OEM versions of windows. In my experience, HP gives you the actual Windows OS with some HP thrown in. Others like Dell, tend to cripple their disks unless the hardware matches.

This is a reason not to use RAID for your boot disk. Unless you REALLY NEED the performance boost, I wouldn't RAID a boot OS. RAID has its pluses, but it also has definite minus's. There are also few times when a boot disk will really need more than the 150/300Mbit bandwidth that it carries. Even Bd only takes about 50..... at most. In fact, ATA100 will work just fine.

Hopefully, you backed up everything vital to a storage device before upgrading.

That aside, it is alway best to start from a fresh install with a new mobo and CPU. Even if it works, there is going to be leftover carp on there from the last install that has atleast a slight chance of bogging the system down or throwing in a kink or two. Probably wouldn't, but it isn't worth hassle.

My suggestion is to find an older drive you have and install the OS on that... most people have atleast one 40-80gb drive lying around. Use that to boot up, and archive what you can from the RAID drives. When done, transfer the OS over to the faster (not necessarily smaller) drive and set the other up as either storage or as a back up depending on how you are using it.

I would also get into the habit of setting up multiple partitions. I find it really useful anymore to limit disk partitions to 80-200gb depending on the use. It make everything a little easier IMO.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I re-formatted the secondary drive, and tried to load the OS on that, but I couldn't get windows to recognize the HDD. Admittedly, I wimped out, and returned the mobo/cpu, and ordered a pre-fabbed quad-core HP.

However, I still have the case, power, and HDD's, so I will take some time and try to rebuild this system again, possibly in a few weeks. I'm trying to let the frustration dissipate after being stuck on such a simple issue.

I appreciate everyone's input, and will again pester the list with dumb q's once I return to the rebuild fray.

Thanx,

Joel

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.