AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I bought a Hitachi 57" (lower end model from CC) last year & returned it for poor DTV quality (blur & snow). Both Toshiba & Hitachi have newer models now & both advertise better conversion of lower quality signals. Is it true? I didn't spend too much time tweaking the old set...I just paniced & returned it.

tia

Jeff

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
GIGO...garbage in garbage out. If you have a lousy compressed signal it will just look worse blown up to 57 inches. I thought last years tosh did a pretty good job with the analog cable cable I have ...but it's good quality source on most channels to begin with. My current Hitachi 57s500 looks outstanding with the same cable. Basically your talking about the quality of source being most important followed by the scaler. The hitachi scaler is better than the tosh in this years model but the main benifit seems to be in dvd detail.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

They really cannot make a crappy signal any better than it is ... short of adding bitrate ... (unreasonably expensive.)

for cable and satellite, you are not missing anything at all.

Regards

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
IMO, Toshiba does better than anybody pulling in poor analog signals. Best buy's distribution system is pretty poor on some channels. Go pay them a visit and grab a remote and start looking for the poorest signals you can find.

Toshiba easily bested the Mits 55413 which is equivalent to the Hitachi S500 as far as I can tell.

As far as upconverting SD signals, they are all pretty equivalent. But Toshibas tuner is superior from my testing.

All that being said, I recommend Hitachi, Mits, and Pioneer over Tosh every day of the year. Just get a good antenna or a decent cable feed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.