AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering what new models might be on the horizon. I'm hoping that the next wave will fix the problems, suprise omissions and ability to play more media (double layer) that the XS-34 and Pioneer x33 series don't address. I'm hoping Panasonic will finally put a DV input into their recorder. Sony... sounds like they are clueless still in this area.

HDTV recording is a nice plus but not necessary. Rumor has it that the XS54 is coming out soon although HDMI output is really an unnecessary expense since the input into the machine is analog anyways. I hear it's supposed to be well above $500. It doesn't seem that Pioneer will be correcting their omissions any time soon (removing the chapter mark/insert button was idiotic) with a new model since the 533/633 just came out. I don't know about Panasonic and realize they still don't have a DV model and wonder whether they plan to put one out. Considering what I hear about their previous models and their abilities to avoid TVGOS it seems to be potentially worth the wait. Anyone hear something on the grapevine?

·
Banned
2,239 Posts
Does this mean you got rid of the Pioneer 633H?

Oh, sorry, from the other thread I see that you did decide to return the 633. If the TV Guide system was the main problem, why not look into the x20 Pioneers which don't have the TGOS and are still floating around?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by squonk
Does this mean you got rid of the Pioneer 633H?

Oh, sorry, from the other thread I see that you did decide to return the 633. If the TV Guide system was the main problem, why not look into the x20 Pioneers which don't have the TGOS and are still floating around?
Thanks for the suggestion. The 520s are no longer available and where they are available, they actually cost more than the 633 for half the storage. In addition, the 520s don't do double layer read/write or the newer compression algorithm. It is a good machine and I'm sorry that some of the features were yanked out of the 633 like the very important chapter mark button and the DV/firewire in/out port (only in on the 633). I'm also not a big fan of purchasing equipment that is no longer supported by the manufacturer and heaven knows what happens if the bugs aren't already all worked out. Pioneer also doesn't accept warranties from product sold by numerous 'authorized dealers' like Amazon (who also sell via Tiger Direct and J&R, the latter of which might be the only 'authorized dealer.') The 520 doesn't seem to be available through these dealers at any reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
The new Pioneers (533/633 and siblings) just came out last month, and I think the current TVGOS generation of Panasonics and Toshibas are likewise pretty new. I don't think you're likely to see new models from these manufacturers until next year.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's too bad and thanks Sean. If it wasn't for removing the Chapter Mark button and feature the Pioneer model would be bearable. It drives me crazy when manufacturers suddenly remove important features without it being obvious and take major steps backwards. I guess the choice is whether a DVD-RAM at 9.4GB is the equivalent of a Double Layer 9.4 GB DVD.

Is the Panasonic E95 due for an update? It seems like an older model that has many popular features but has issues that haven't been completely addressed. It's also the only Panny with a DV input.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Sony is about to release 2 models the 710/715 with a 160 gig hdd and the 910/915 with a 250 gig hdd. Supposedly, some of the shortcomings of the 900 have been fixed. These include poor editing, no recording from playlist function and no variable bit rate recording. Expect to pay at least $200.00 to $300.00 more then other brands sell for.

I've been pretty loyal to Sony products since I bought my first receiver in 1972. Just retired it a couple of years ago. Willing to pay more for what I thought were its' feature set and build quality. When they went to cheap VCR's I started buying other brands which includes the Sharp 300 standalone DVD recorder(I forgot the price I paid at Amazon but well under other brands) as well as a just received Denon 1815 5 disc CD/DVD player with Faroujda chipset. Bought a refurbished model for $100.00 at eCost.com).

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
I guess the choice is whether a DVD-RAM at 9.4GB is the equivalent of a Double Layer 9.4 GB DVD.
Remember that 9.4GB DVD-RAM is two sided, not dual layer. This means you have to record and play in two chunks of about 4GB each and flip the disc between them. Aside from the physical storage space, it's not really much different in usability than recording on two 4.7GB single-layer single-sided discs.

Edit: single-layer discs are 4.7GB, not 4.3GB....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sean, single-layer DVD is 4.7 GB if you count 1 GB as 1 000 000 bytes. Real (computer count) size of it is about 4.38 GB. Double-layer DVD is about 8.5 GB if you count 1 GB as 1 000 000 bytes. And, of course, double-sided DVD-RAM disc is excactly the same size as two separate single-layer discs.

ArtS :cool:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From reading it seems that the Pioneer Double Layer DVDs are likely not compatible with any other machine other than the Pioneer 533/633. Seems like the same thing happens with the DVD-RAM, but at least the media is supposed to be very solid (I wonder how much more reliable than reasonable quality DVD-R.) Given that limitation, it seems that the extra media writing is of limited value.

Regarding the new Sony models, I have lost faith in them a long time ago. Some of their products are better quality but mostly televisions. I'm finding that the gap has narrowed greatly but Sony still thinks it should charge a major premium. I don't buy it and from reading reviews from owners of Sony's DVD players, it sounds like they are charging too much and providing too little. I hope it works out for you but I'm hesitant to buy Sony.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.