AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a pair of Marantz MA500 mono-block amps for my Polk RTi10s (front channels in my 5.1 setup). Listened to some lossless music in Pure Direct mode and the speakers sound a bit bright and harsh now. I never had this opinion of them when they were driven from my Marantz SR5005 AVR.

Does this mean it's time to buy something better?

Are the RTi series known for being very bright and almost too-crisp up top like that? Is there anything I could do to smooth them out? I'm thinking maybe Pure Direct is NOT the way to listen -- Audyssey might need to smooth things out.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSRGuy  /t/1524743/new-mono-blocks-make-my-rti10s-sound-very-bright-and-harsh#post_24542219

I installed a pair of Marantz MA500 mono-block amps for my Polk RTi10s (front channels in my 5.1 setup). Listened to some lossless music in Pure Direct mode and the speakers sound a bit bright and harsh now. I never had this opinion of them when they were driven from my Marantz SR5005 AVR.

Does this mean it's time to buy something better?

Are the RTi series known for being very bright and almost too-crisp up top like that? Is there anything I could do to smooth them out? I'm thinking maybe Pure Direct is NOT the way to listen -- Audyssey might need to smooth things out.

Old RTi10 "brightness" issue right here on avs!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1153924/polk-rti10-frustration

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
If the speakers sounded good when driven by the AVR, and not when the power amps are driving them, the answer is pretty obvious; the amps suck. Audyssey is not designed to fix your system's sound quality; it is to adjust the system to your room characteristics. More power is certainly not what you need; the receiver has enough for the majority of speakers.

Many amplifiers can measure OK when connected to a load resistor, but are poorly designed for driving speakers. This is why the majority of AVRs do not sound very good; poor amplifier/power supply design.

A speaker is inductive at some frequencies, and capacitive at some frequencies, and this makes a speaker 100 times harder to drive than a resistive load; causing amplifiers to distort. Better designs distort less, others distort more.

Your receiver is obviously driving the speakers well, maintaining relatively low distortion, and the MA500 seems to be producing a lot more distortion.

Stick with the receiver and sell the crummy-sounding amps. What works is what works.

I am curious what you mean by listening in Pure Direct mode. Is that a mode that bypasses the receiver tone controls? If so, there should be very little difference.

Are the power amps hooked to the receiver pre-out jacks, or are you connecting some source (CD player or other device) direct to the power amplifiers?

If you want to improve your system sound quality, however, I would say that the first thing you should do is stick to the receiver you have and invest in better front speakers.

The RTi10 are fair, but there are certainly better-sounding speakers available from Focal, PSB, Wharfedale and KEF, among others.

The PSB Image T6 is one of the best; I recommend them highly.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1524743/new-mono-blocks-make-my-rti10s-sound-very-bright-and-harsh#post_24543941

If the speakers sounded good when driven by the AVR, and not when the power amps are driving them, the answer is pretty obvious; the amps suck..

Maybe but more likely he is just dealing with hearing bias and sighted evaluation. There should not be a sonic difference between them.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1524743/new-mono-blocks-make-my-rti10s-sound-very-bright-and-harsh#post_24544180

Maybe but more likely he is just dealing with hearing bias and sighted evaluation. There should not be a sonic difference between them.

Well, of course; they can't possibly sound different; he must be delusional. Ears can't hear anything.

·
Registered
10,652 Posts
Those Marantz mono amps are known for having a "tizzy" top end. If the RTis have a similar characteristic sound, well, you are hearing the result. Dump the amps, the speakers, or both.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1524743/new-mono-blocks-make-my-rti10s-sound-very-bright-and-harsh#post_24544180

Agreed.

OP - No need to jump to the conclusion that the amps "suck" but nor will there be much difference in how the receiver vs the monoblocks sound (should be beyond the threshold of audibility).

If you normally listen with Audyssey engaged and now listening in "pure direct" - there's your problem. Just turn Audyssey back on - otherwise it's most likely hearing bias. Replacing the amps with something different is unlikely to yield different results.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avgass  /t/1524743/new-mono-blocks-make-my-rti10s-sound-very-bright-and-harsh#post_24554026

OP - No need to jump to the conclusion that the amps "suck" but nor will there be much difference in how the receiver vs the monoblocks sound (should be beyond the threshold of audibility).

If you normally listen with Audyssey engaged and now listening in "pure direct" - there's your problem. Just turn Audyssey back on - otherwise it's most likely hearing bias. Replacing the amps with something different is unlikely to yield different results.
+1. When you make a change never change more than one item at a time, because if it doesn't sound right you won't know which of the changes is responsible. Use the new amps with the exact same settings as before, only then if they don't sound right can you be sure it's the amps fault, and not running with different settings.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1524743/new-mono-blocks-make-my-rti10s-sound-very-bright-and-harsh#post_24544257

Well, of course; they can't possibly sound different; he must be delusional. Ears can't hear anything.

I didn't say that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts